4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2013 2:19 PM by able123

CS5: how do I Export Sony Ex1r HD 1080p 29.97 MP4 footage as / 4:3 720p SD

Bases Loaded Level 1

Have just been asked by a TV Broadcast station to supply them with some of my recent footage & they have asked me to supply it as such.

“TV Broadcast format needs to be 4:3 720p Standard Definition”.. 

1. Have never had to fulfill a request like this before so I am totally clueless..

Any setup help would be greatly appreciated; they did not tell me yet in which video format they want the file.  I assume they don’t want those black bars top and bottom, not sure about the pan and scan thing either.

4am here and just about to crash, might not be able to reply until afternoon tomorrow.

Thanks for any assistance sent my way

• 1. Re: CS5: how do I Export Sony Ex1r HD 1080p 29.97 MP4 footage as / 4:3 720p SD
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Definitely get more specific requirements from the TV station. Contact someone in engineering - the sales people don't necessarily know the correct terminology to tell you and you'll end up doing everything twice when the first try is not right.

They've already given you bad specs, as "720p" is HD video! Perhaps they meant 480p, which is 720x480, but TV is usually 480i, not p, so again ask for more details.

In general, if your footage is 16:9 and delivery must be 4:3, you have two options - producing a letterboxed video, which doesn't look so great on a widescreen HDTV since you end up with a small picture surrounded on all four sides by black, or cropping the 16:9 source to 4:3.

To do the latter, create a new NTSC DV sequence (720x480 and 4:3) and drop your HD clips into it. Scale to Frame Size should be OFF in Preferences, and if not you can right-click clips in timeline and turn off that option. Then use Adobe Motion effect to Scale and Position clip as needed in the 4:3 frame. Keyframing can be used to accomplish the "Pan and Scan" to keep subject properly framed.

And definitely get the correct tech specs for the delivery format from them

Good luck

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5: how do I Export Sony Ex1r HD 1080p 29.97 MP4 footage as / 4:3 720p SD
            Jim_Simon Level 8

“TV Broadcast format needs to be 4:3 720p Standard Definition”.. 

There actually is no such thing.  All HD formats are 16:9, and 720 is an HD format.  What they probably meant was 720 x 480, in which case you'd list the 480, not the 720.  (Or 576 for PAL)

• 3. Re: CS5: how do I Export Sony Ex1r HD 1080p 29.97 MP4 footage as / 4:3 720p SD
              Bases Loaded Level 1

Thanks Jeff for your assistance.

I looked over what you suggested and will give it a try later today..

Telling them that 720p was HD not SD was the first thing I said to them about the confusion I am faced with….  

I had asked them which video format they would like me to export the file in & what bitrate settings they would prefer, but still have not had a reply..  Any suggestions on that topic,

They are a major Cable company who also has their own show.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Can't spend too much time on their request if they do not fill me in with more details, buried deep in projects at this moment.

Thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KeepEmStraight

• 4. Re: CS5: how do I Export Sony Ex1r HD 1080p 29.97 MP4 footage as / 4:3 720p SD
                Level 4

keep in mind.. some cable companies have what is kinda called " public access " type channels.. where they broadcast fairly local type content.. like local church services, you know.. local stuff...

Sometimes they use analog broadcast from a " cable commission " site that is affliated wtih the local townships where they have the franchise to be the cable company.

In MN. where I live this is called the LMCC ( lake minnetonka cable commission ).. and it is basically a little insert stage with some cameras and lights to do small talk shows and have " classes" for people to learn how to shoot video for TV etc... It's a pretty cool place and they broadcast analog to the main mediacom hub.. where it then goes out digital ...on the cable network as 'public access "..

This particular place I'm talking about ( I took tour and so on ) broadcasts SD analog from DVD... they have editing " platforms' ( for students and producers of the little shows ) that are mac FCP... its pretty simple.

That is 4:3 SD , and basically they broadcast right from the DVD... and from there it goes to the hub and they do what they want from there...probably letterbox and all that junk...whatever...

You may be looking at something that isn't that complex at all.. where you just deliver a DVD.. so talk to them and it will become clear to you.

good luck and have fun 1