8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2013 1:24 PM by slycett

Launching InDesign

kelseylynn12

I cannot launch my app. Do I have to purchase Creative Cloud separately? It shows that it's up to date.

• 1. Re: Launching InDesign
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's literally no information here that anyone could possibly give advice.

What's your OS?

What exactly is the error message if any?

Why can't you? What's happening?

Have you any screenshots?

• 2. Re: Launching InDesign
            kelseylynn12 Level 1

When I try to open InDesign, it switches to the Adobe Application Manager and gives window that my trial has expired. However, I purchased the single InDesign app today. Then when I can get the window that I have the app up to date from pressing download on the website, it won't open. When I press more information, it goes to creative.adobe (the InDesign page) where you can download again. But when I press download it goes back to the second picture where it says up to date and won't let me open it. I have Mountain Lion.

Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 4.56.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 4.55.38 PM.png

• 3. Re: Launching InDesign
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Uninstall, then reinstall.

• 4. Re: Launching InDesign
                slycett Level 1

I uninstalled and reinstalled everything per Adobe's suggestion.  I am still having the problem.  I bought a hard copy of the software and installed it after uninstalling Creative Cloud.  This worked fine for a few months.  Now, however, when I try to launch an Adobe program, the Application Manager opens and asks me to renew my subscription.  If I close that window, my program won't open.

BTW, Adobe tech help suggested I try uninstalling App Manager, and if that didn't work to reinstall CS6.  So I uninstalled App Manager, but when I went to uninstall CS6..... guess what program I needed?  So I had to download App Manager again in order to uninstall and reinstall CS6. 

Aaarrrrrgh!!

• 5. Re: Launching InDesign

Did you purchase a single app subscription for ID, or a perpetual license for CS6 (hundreds of dollars)? Hard copy sounds like the latter. You should be able to unninstall the app manager, then run the cleaner tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) to completely remove all traces of CC and CS6 so your disk should work to reinstall.

• 6. Re: Launching InDesign
                    slycett Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply!  I did indeed pay hundreds of dollars for the dvd.     I went on LiveChat again, and learned that I needed to license the software programs individually, and enter my serial# for each one.  It appears to have solved the problem.  The tech help person asked me to move the SLCache folder contents to the desktop.  I'm not sure why, as he didn't ask me to do anything with them.  He did not answer my question of whether I should delete those items.  The SLConfig folder contains Creative Cloud, which I uninstalled....

Do you happen to know if those items can be deleted?  Although I'm loathe to do anything that would cause another problem.

thx

• 7. Re: Launching InDesign

At this point I'm extremely confused.

Your DVD should have come with a single serial number that would be entered at the start of the install process.

As for the folder, I'm fairly sure it can be deleted, but rename it first and leave it for a week to make sure nothing odd happens (and if something odd does happen, check to see if naming it back solves it). I'd set a restore point, too.

• 8. Re: Launching InDesign
                        slycett Level 1

I'm confused too.  Of course I entered my serial number when I installed it.  But nevertheless, Application Manager always opened and tried to steer me back to a subscription any time I launched a program.  And I was always able to just close that window and carry on, until yesterday. I suppose it's my fault for not clicking on 'license software' sooner. 

I'm not going to touch the folder unless something else goes wrong.  At least it's in a place where I can find it now.

Thanks again!