15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 8:13 PM by animationlife

RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC

animationlife Level 1

Hello Everyone.

I want to Export a one version of my Video which Is 1920 by 1080 30 fps, To H.264 at 1080i,. for a PC.

Inside the Preset, there are many 1080i settings. Which one you Recommend.

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As you are on CC Try HD-preset, that will give you mp4.

Message was edited by: Ann Bens

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC
            Biggles Lamb Level 3

You have not said which version you are using, I am still on CS5.5 and this is my methods

H264 will give you progressive, if this is OK the standard HDTV 1080p will give good results and produce an mp4 file

Or select MPEG2 and the HDTV 1080i preset, adjust quality to 4, Min bitrate to about 15, target bitrate to 20 and max bitrate to 30. choose either DD or MPEG audio either will be OK, multiplexer to mpeg2

Save the preset by a name you will know so that you can use it again. 

Then export.

File will be MPG and very compatible

Play around with the settings until you get a file quality that is acceptable, and after each change rename to preset.

You cannot screw up the standard presets so no worries there

Let us know how you get on

Col

• 3. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC
              SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

We could use more info on what your end goal is. That said, when encoding any video to be viewed ON a computer/website (not DVD or Blu-ray), it should always be encoded as "Progressive", also called "no fields". Computer displays are progressive and if you try to view interlaced material on them, you get the nasty interlacing lines, not pretty.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 4. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC
                animationlife Level 1

Dear Biggle Lamb.

I am using PP CC..  I shot this Documentary, with my Canon 5D, 1920 By1080. For Burning to a Regular D.V.D: I have Exported as MPEG2-DVD and I used NTSC DV Progressive.

Also,I Drag the Quality Slider to 100 Percent, and I Checked the Render at Maximum Depth, and I checked the Use Maximum Render Quality And I used Bitrate Encoding of VBR, 2 Pass.

I also,  would like to have a HD Quality, to play In the Computer. I Also may need to Burn to Blue Ray, and If I have to I may need to upload it for a YouTube.

AS YOu said: select MPEG2 and the HDTV 1080i preset, adjust quality to 4, The Quality Is from 0 To 100 why only 4 ?

Thank you very much.

• 5. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC

When you choose a DVD preset in AME, it generally is already set up with the proper "default" settings. Human nature is to check every single checkbox with the assumption "that it will be better". Not always the case though. My understanding of the "Max Bit Depth" button is that it is for high bit-depth sources. If the video is 10 or 12-bit, or the video is primarily high bit-depth still images, then that may be helpful. If editing 8-bit video, which most of it is, then do not check that box. Maybe doesn't hurt anything, but will likely increase render times with no benefit.

Older versions of AME use a Quality slider of 1 thru 5, with 4 being default. I used to automatically always set it to "5", then I read some instructions from Adobe and they say that 5 is better in some situations, but in general 4 will work well and 5 is not necessarily any better, could be worse! That is why 4 is the default, best for most videos. Maybe with CC they've changed to a 100% scale, don't know what the default is on that one.

If you think you'll want Blu-ray in the future, use the "H.264 Blu-ray" preset in AME to create that with appropriate settings for your footage. There is also a YouTube preset under "H.264" if you scroll way down to the bottom of the list. Remember, this will be progressive. I typically use the 720p30 YouTube preset, even when starting with 1080i, as I think 1080 is overkill for web viewing, but that's a personal preference.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 6. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC
                    animationlife Level 1

Dear Safeharbor.

Thank you very much.

Inside PP CC, I am Exporting a 1920 by 1080 30,fps video. Exporting It To: H.264 1080i setting, which Is MP4.

When I use this setting inside PP.. By Default, the Field Order is Upper First  not Progressive

Is that OK ?

• 7. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC

If exporting for H.264 Blu-Ray, match settings to the footage, so 1080i is correct with 1080i source, and that is Upper Field. For web, use an H.264 preset and progressive encoding choice.

Thanks

Jeff

• 8. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC

animationlife wrote:

Dear Safeharbor.

Thank you very much.

Inside PP CC, I am Exporting a 1920 by 1080 30,fps video. Exporting It To: H.264 1080i setting, which Is MP4.

When I use this setting inside PP.. By Default, the Field Order is Upper First  not Progressive

Is that OK ?

Sorry I should have said HD 1080P 29.97.

• 9. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC

I understand your dilemma now. You shot in 1080p30 but there is no such option when encoding "H.264 Blu-ray", do I understand correctly?

In that case, you should be ok using the 1080i setting. But again, anything for computer/web viewing then use an "H.264" preset and Progressive

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 10. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC
                            animationlife Level 1

Dear Ann.

I noticed Exporting To  H.264 1080p 29.97   It dose not have any Field Order. In other words I cant use progressive or any thing else.

Also, I noticed Inside the Export Settings, for H.264 1080p  I have the option to change the Frame Rate from 29.97 to 30 fps.

Since I shot the movie at 30 fps, should I use 30 fps, or 29.97 fps?

I know some LED TV'S are 1080i . Is 1080i Better than 1080p ?

Thanks.

• 11. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC
                              animationlife Level 1

Dear Safeharbor11.

As you said for Computer, Web, use Progressive Not , Upper Field , Or Lower Field am I correct ?

What about a regular D.V.D Progressive, Upper Field, Or Lower Field ?

Thanks.

• 12. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC

The ONLY HD format that is interlaced (used fields) is 1080i (note the "i"). All other HD formats are PROGRESSIVE, denoted by the "p" in the name, 1080p or 720p. So there are no field options for any 1080p or 720p encodes, all progressive.

You did not shoot video at 30fps. I know it is confusing, but for convenience or marketing reasons, many camera makers "round the numbers". What is really 29.97 frames is called "30", and 59.94 is called "60". With 24p, that is really 23.976, also sometimes called "23.98". I believe one of the first Canon DSLR cameras that could shoot video DID shoot a true 24 frames per second, but that is not compatible with video and later models were changed to record at 23.976.

For DVD, interlaced material can be encoded as Upper or Lower field (at least for NTSC use, not sure about PAL). So if starting with NTSC DV footage that is lower field, then make the DVD lower. 1080i is Upper field, so you could convert that to Upper field for DVD. If your source is 1080p or 720p, then use Progressive for the DVD then. I do in fact convert my 1080i footage to Progressive DVD, but that is an entirely complex workflow that I won't go into here (but it sure looks good!!).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 13. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC

animationlife wrote:

Dear Ann.

I noticed Exporting To  H.264 1080p 29.97   It dose not have any Field Order. In other words I cant use progressive or any thing else.

Also, I noticed Inside the Export Settings, for H.264 1080p  I have the option to change the Frame Rate from 29.97 to 30 fps.

Since I shot the movie at 30 fps, should I use 30 fps, or 29.97 fps?

I know some LED TV'S are 1080i . Is 1080i Better than 1080p ?

Thanks.

You are confusing yourself.

You started off with H.264 for pc. Now its led tv's.

In short dvd and blueray interlaced. Rest: most of the time progressive.

• 14. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Canon DSLR cameras that could shoot video DID shoot a true 24 frames per second, but that is not compatible with video

Sort of a side issue to this thread, but...that's not correct.  My GH2 is hacked to shoot a true 24 fps, not 23.976, and it works just fine everywhere I use it - DVD, Blu-ray, web, computer, etc.

True 24 is the industry norm for film production, and goes onto Blu-ray without alteration.  It does get changed to 23.976 on DVD, but without artifacts.

• 15. Re: RE: Exporting To: H.264 For PC
                                      animationlife Level 1

Dear Safeharbor11

Thank you very much.

Shootingwith canon 5D, 1920 by 1080.  The Source shows progressive. I don't think there Is any setting In my camera for choosing progressive or Interlace.

shot.jpg