5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 12:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Cannot set points in Garbage Matte

MaineHomes

I am trying to use the garbage matte effect and this is my problem.  No matter which I apply (4,8 or 16 point), I cannot figure out how to access the set points.  The initial matte appears on the clip, and I can adjust the matte using the x and y axis (numerically), but I cannot grab and set the points of the matte on the clip itself in the control window.  All I can do is seletc one of the four corners and move the entire clip around.  Can you provide some insight into what I might try to get this to work?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Cannot set points in Garbage Matte
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a number of ways to adjust the point positions, both on the Monitor panel and by manually setting positions in the Applied Effects/Properties panel.

We can't give you specific instructions, however, without knowing which version of the program you're using and what your project settings are (as listed under the Edit menu). The method for adjusting effect's properties varies tremendously from version to version.

• 2. Re: Cannot set points in Garbage Matte
            MaineHomes Level 1

I am using PE 9.  The project settings are AVCHD 720 square; 29.97 fps.  Frame size 1280 x 720.  The display format is 20fps Drop-Frame Timecode.

The image below is obviously from the monitor panel.  The matte is diplayed - the circles indicate that it cannot be manipulated by grabbing the set points.  I am concerned that maybe this option was not available in PE 9 - or do I access them some other way?

Capture.JPG

• 3. Re: Cannot set points in Garbage Matte
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MaineHomes

I have found that the visualization of the garbage matte bounding box points is not version specific.

The matter goes to having your Timeline video selected and the Garbage Matte Panel selected in Properties Panel (in your case)....however, the following is an example from Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit

Timeline Video Selected, but 16-Point Garbage Matte in Properties Palatte not...; consequently, no points seen to adjust.

GarbageMatte.JPG

Timeline Video Selected and 16-Point Garbage Matte Panel selected/highlighted in Properties Palette

GarbageMatte2.JPG

Happens to me all the time, no matter what version. So, it has made a lasting impression.

ATR

• 4. Re: Cannot set points in Garbage Matte
                MaineHomes Level 1

Thanks......so simple!!!!

• 5. Re: Cannot set points in Garbage Matte
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MaineHomes

Thank for the follow up. Glad that worked for you.

Continued success with your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR