6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 9:21 AM by A.T. Romano

SONY DVD-R MINI DVDS

mountvernon1

When i import from media what is the highest quality setting i can use. when i press SHARE the presets are the following choices. NTSC FLASH VIDEO 7 256K NTSC FLASH VIDEO 7 400K.  NTSC FLASH VIDEO 8 400K NTSC FLASH VIDEO 8 700K. Which one do i choose that will PRODUCE HIGHEST QUALITY VIDEO?

THANKS

• 1. Re: SONY DVD-R MINI DVDS
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The quality of your video depends on two things: How closely your project settings match your video and which Share settings you select. Though of course your finished video can't be any better than what you started with in the first place.

When you set up a project to edit video from a DVD, you MUST select the project settings preset for Hard Disk Camcorder Standard Definition.

Which Share template you use depends on which version of the program you're using.

• 2. Re: SONY DVD-R MINI DVDS
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mountvernon1

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

I am guessing that is probably is Premiere Elements 4.

Have you looked at a description of the presets offered?

NTSC Flash VIDEO 8 700K offers the highest resolution of the 4 choices.

Export Settings adjust can be made on the Advanced Button of the preset selected.

See what the default setting results look like and then do Advanced Button export settings adjusts as

indicated.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Did not see SG's post until after I had posted mine. And, I am not commenting on your choice but on your specific

question about the comparison between the 4 settings.

• 3. Re: SONY DVD-R MINI DVDS
              mountvernon1 Level 1

I am using premiere elements 8 windows 7. If i upgrade to premiere elements 12 does it make a difference. I want to be able to share the movie with someone who is watching it in an email on windows. i understand the discs i am using are 10 years old i just want to be able to pick the right settings to get the best quality when i send it via email. does premiere elements 12 make it easier to choose. Do they automatically set the best settings by default?

thanks again

• 4. Re: SONY DVD-R MINI DVDS
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements 12 will set up your project automatically, based on the first clip you add to its timeline.

You'll also have some better output options.

In fact, I think you'll find version 12 a HUGE leap forward from version 8.

• 5. Re: SONY DVD-R MINI DVDS
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mountvernon1

You say that you have your DVD-VIDEO on DVD-R mini DVD discs. And you are working with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows 7 (presumed 64 bit). Is that correct?

I would ask SG to reconsider his recommendation written as a generalization.

"When you set up a project to edit video from a DVD, you MUST select the project settings preset for Hard Disk Camcorder Standard Definition." 

You are not coming from a Hard disk or flash memory camcorder, and I am not seeing the benefits of reversing the field order at that point as this preset will do automatically. If field order changes are indicated, that can be done at the Timeline level with Field Order Options.

So, until proven otherwise, I would go with

a. Project preset = NTSC DV standard or widescreen, depending on what was recorded. If indicated, right click the video and select Field Options and then select Reverse Field Dominance.

b. Sharing for email...because of size consideration, look at the Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media with the Cable Modem DSL. Under the Advanced Button of the preset, you can change the frame size to 640 x 480 and increase the bitrate. But, increasing the bitrate increases the file size. So there is the compromise between file size and Quality. You will probably get a larger file size, but you could also look at Share/Mobile Phones and Players/Apple iPod and iPhone with Presets = iPod and iPhone High Quality. That will give you a H.264.mp4 file.

A lot of the sharing decisions will depend on the size of this file that you want to share for email.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: SONY DVD-R MINI DVDS
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mountvernon1

You should be able to accomplish what you say that you want to do with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. But, if you do want to look at version 12 with the thoughts of using it instead, then please look at the free 30 day tryout from Adobe before any purchase. There have been marked changes in the workspaces. Principles remain essentially the same, but features are moved or removed or added.

Whether you are using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 or 12, an automatic setting of the project is available. In version 8.0/8.0.1, you get to set the project preset and then the program may critique your choice and offer to change it after the first video drag to the Timeline. In version 12, the automatic choice takes over. You do not get to see the new project dialog at the onset. In both cases, you cannot depend on its choice. Sometimes OK, sometimes not OK. In version 8.0/8.0.1, you can just select No to the request for the program to change your project preset. In 12, you need to open a new project, set the project preset manually with File Menu/New/Project and then import your media into the project.

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR