8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 3:09 PM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb?

remkosp

I have the following configuration (bought in September 2011).

• Asus P8Z68 DELUXE, Z68 chipset
      • Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Ghz 8Mb
      • Kingston
      • Crucial SSD M4 128 Gb
      • Asus GeForce GTX560 Ti DirectCU II TOP 1GB 2xDVI
      • WD 2Tb sata 600 (black edition).
      • Windows 7 prof 64 bit.
      • Adobe Premiere Elements 10 + Photoshop Elements 10

On the 128 Gb SSD I installed, Windows 7, office 2010, Adobe elements software and the SSD is used for temp/swap-drive for Adobe elements and Windows 7.

The second drive WD SATA 600 black 2 Tb is used for all my video and photo material.

When searching on the internet and on this forum I understand that till Premiere Elements 9 Adobe didn’t use the RAM memory above 3 Gb because of the 32 bit adobe-kernel of the elements series.

Can and will Premiere Elements 10 (or higher) use the memory above 3 Gb?

When I install 32 Gb (4x8 Gb) of DRAM Memory the recommended windows swap file will be around (2x32 =) 64 Gb. With windows 7, and some software installed there will be not much space left on the SSD drive for the adobe premiere elements temp-drive. I probably have to set the temp-drive to the WD 2 TB sata 600 because there is more free space left.

I'm not sure if it is sensible to upgrade my memory.

1 Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb? And will it likely increase the rendering-speed of premiere elements 10 (or a future release premiere elements)?

2 Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 16 Gb (4x 4Gb)?

3 The 32 Gb memory-upgrade costs around 300 euro/dollar. Is there a better way to improve the rendering speed (I’m not comfortable with overclocking the system)?

Hope you can help me out with this question.

Thanx!

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb?
          nealeh Level 5

What RAM is currently installed?

What kind of video are you processing - Standard Def. High Def. Full HD ?

What kind of durations do your project have?

Generalising, based on what others have posted, 8GB seems to be the minimum recommendation and 16GB should be excellent - if you can get 2 x 8GB you have the option for another two later.

You might want to consider a second hard disk for your temp files.

remkosp wrote:

When I install 32 Gb (4x8 Gb) of DRAM Memory the recommended windows swap file will be around (2x32 =) 64 Gb.

Since Vista I don't think that generalisation is any longer relevant. It was much more appropriate to XP and when machine RAM was still measured in MB rather than GB. With 16GB or more real RAM there shouldn't be that much need for swapping to disk anyway.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Neale that more RAM is always better than less.

But, as far as Premiere Elements is concerned, it's unlikely you're going to see much of a boost in performance between 16 gig and 32 gig of RAM. The program is really not a RAM hog. I've found 8 gig to be a sweet spot, at least as far as Premiere Elements is concerned. Although I rarely see the program requiring even that much.

If you are still seeing performance problems with the hardware you have, you need to address other issues -- like how well the project settings are matched to your source video, how often you render your timeline, etc. You'll also see much improved performance by upgrading from version 10 to version 12. Adobe has done a very nice job of tuning the program's editing engine.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb?
              remkosp Level 1

Hi Nealeh,

Thanx for your answer.

Currently I have 2x4Gb, ddr3, PC10666, CL9 RAM memory installed. It is possible to install an extra 2x8 Gb (2 slots are free). Then my system will have 24 Gb of RAM memory.

At the moment it's only standard (dvd)video format I use, but in the near future I will probably more and more use full hd video.

Most projects are family movies of about one hour.

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You already have much more power than you need to edit AVCHD and other high-def video.

You certainly won't hurt anything by adding more RAM -- but you're not going to see better performance with Premiere Elements 10 by going from 8 to 16 gigs of RAM.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb?
                  remkosp Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answer.

When I make a DVD (to a harddisk-directory). The taskmanager shows that the processor is used for about 25% and the memory is used for about 7 Gb.  I didn't see how much the GPU is used. So I can confirm that for what I'm doing at this moment 8 Gig seems to be just enough.

At this moment I'm also considdering to buy Adobe Premiere Elements 12 when it has better performance then prel10. Until now I haven't seen the special offer I saw last year for prel11 .

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb?
                    nealeh Level 5

I agree with Steve. What you have is fine for your current use. Note that PRE12 was released on 24th September. If you hunt around you might well find PRE11 being sold off at big discounts and you may be able to get a free upgrade to PRE12.

Before parting with any cash though I'd check with 'Live Chat' at http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/upgrade-policy-product-announcement.html that it is still falls within the Adobe definition of 'around the time':

You could be eligible for a complimentary (free) upgrade if you bought your software (full or upgrade) around the time that a new version of the software was announced.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb?
                      remkosp Level 1

Thanx Neale,

A local retailer offered the past two years around November the bundled photoshop and premiere elements with a huge “introduction” discount (40% off the normal retailers price).

With Microsoft (windows/office) I did use the tip you mentioned several times with success. Strangely I never thought about that doing the same with premiere elements .

Neale and Steve, thanks for your contribution to help me make the right decision about upgrading my PC. Your answers gave me the right insight/confirmation and are very helpful for me!

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Is it sensible to upgrade my memory to 32 Gb?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

remkosp

There seems to be an epidemic of NVIDIA GTX video card driver issues targeting Premiere Elements 10 users.

If I recall, that NVIDIA GTX 560 was among those mentioned. Problem with latest drivers and need to roll back driver to avoid serious display problems.

Please review and see if any of the above applies to you.

Hope not. Just in case note.

ATR