2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2008 9:13 AM by Newsgroup_User

Fireworks vectors to print

redhedcoder
      I used to use Photoshop but became a FW fan about 3 years ago and I have not touched PS since.

I do mostly web related work - however on occasion we'll created a 'company emblem' (dare we call it a logo) that a client likes and wants to use in their print medium. I have a hard time importing a vector 'logo' that got created in FW into Illustrator (it barely resembles).

Our shop has recently ugraded to CS3 however we still have FW MX 2004.

My questions are kind of muttled and combined:

1. Will there be a future for FW - I see on their web site by doing a Google search that there is a CS3 version of FW but I don't see it on their products page of the Adobe site.

this leads into question....

2. Now that I have PS CS3 it seems there are vector-raster abilities - so I am wondering should I switch back to PS (knowing I am like 3 versions behind and it seems so foreign to me) or should I keep on with FIREWORKS (will FW still be around)?

This based on...

3. I do not know Illustrator but am going to invest time into learning it enough to produce acceptable 'print ready' files for our clients to take elsewhere...

IN SUMMARY:

Again we mostly do web only graphics and lay outs - we are not a firm that creates corporate identities so I would say we are not a logo design firm however, some times when a client does not have a logo and we make something on their web design they want to use it for print medium - and so I need to work in a graphics program that will allow me the ability to produce a vector that is 'print shop' friendly (as I said, if I save a vector as a FW .png and try to import it into Illustrator it gets pretty messed up).

Any ideas which way I should go in my graphics program choices?

THANK YOU!
        • 1. Re: Fireworks vectors to print
          ageofem Level 1
          1,) fireworks is still alive and kicking, a new fireworks will be released this year or the next

2.) you guys mostly do web graphics and layouts, stick to fireworks ! hmmm photoshop might come in handy too.

3.) i do print work in fireworks and export them as psd's , and there are limitations though, like limiting only to poster sizes 13 x 17, save them as psd and try opening them in photoshop to check things out. you can check my logos here > www.blue2x.deviantart.com
          • 2. Re: Fireworks vectors to print
            Level 7
            redhedcoder wrote:
            > I used to use Photoshop but became a FW fan about 3 years ago and I have not
            > touched PS since.
            >
            > I do mostly web related work - however on occasion we'll created a 'company
            > emblem' (dare we call it a logo) that a client likes and wants to use in their
            > print medium. I have a hard time importing a vector 'logo' that got created in
            > FW into Illustrator (it barely resembles).
            >
            > Our shop has recently ugraded to CS3 however we still have FW MX 2004.
            >
            > My questions are kind of muttled and combined:
            >
            > 1. Will there be a future for FW - I see on their web site by doing a Google
            > search that there is a CS3 version of FW but I don't see it on their products
            > page of the Adobe site.
            >
            > this leads into question....
            >
            > 2. Now that I have PS CS3 it seems there are vector-raster abilities - so I
            > am wondering should I switch back to PS (knowing I am like 3 versions behind
            > and it seems so foreign to me) or should I keep on with FIREWORKS (will FW
            > still be around)?
            >
            > This based on...
            >
            > 3. I do not know Illustrator but am going to invest time into learning it
            > enough to produce acceptable 'print ready' files for our clients to take
            > elsewhere...
            >
            > IN SUMMARY:
            >
            > Again we mostly do web only graphics and lay outs - we are not a firm that
            > creates corporate identities so I would say we are not a logo design firm
            > however, some times when a client does not have a logo and we make something
            > on their web design they want to use it for print medium - and so I need to
            > work in a graphics program that will allow me the ability to produce a vector
            > that is 'print shop' friendly (as I said, if I save a vector as a FW .png and
            > try to import it into Illustrator it gets pretty messed up).
            >
            > Any ideas which way I should go in my graphics program choices?
            >
            > THANK YOU!
            >

Fireworks CS3 is alive and well, and there are some significant
            improvements in this latest version. Photoshop does have some vector
            capability, but it's not nearly as flexible or intuitive as FW's
            handling of vectors. If you're doing web graphics, FW is still the place
            to be.

As for integration between the apps, FW handles importing PSD's and AI
            files much better than PS or AI handle importing FW PNG files. If you
            want to bring something into AI, you need to save it as an AI file
            within FW, but be warned; FW only saves as AI 8 format. It will import
            AI CS3 files fairly well, though.

--
            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            http://www.communityMX.com/
            CommunityMX - Free Resources:
            http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
            ---
            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            Adobe Community Expert
            http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
            ---
            See my work on Flickr
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/