12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 3:49 PM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie

alvgreenwood

I have APE 7, it crashes everytime I use it which isn't very often.  However when I do, no matter how long the movie, adobe crashes.  Why doesn't it have enough memory for a movie?  Help, please

• 1. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project setttings did you select? To get peak performance, your project settings must match your video specs.

What operating system are you using?

Do you render your timeline (press Enter) whenever you see red lines above your clips in Timeline mode?

• 2. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

• 3. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with the answers to the questions posed by both Steve G., and John T., this FAQ Entry addresses some of the main causes for PrE crashes and hangs, and might be useful for troubleshooting: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

However, do not pass over those requests for more info, as they will be very important for your specific issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
                alvgreenwood Level 1

Hello Steve,

I will try to answer some questions for you.  I am using Premiere Elements 7.0.1.  I have done updates.  I use a Sony Camcorder HDR-SR11/SR12, HD AVCHUD, 10.2 pixels, 60 GB.  My computer is Windows XP.  C drive has 442 GB free space.

I have used the enter to render the program and it does work better for a while.

The error message is something like Memory is low, save project.  I do.  A few minutes later, a message comes up  Adobe has to shut down and it just disappears right before my eyes. 

If you need more info, let me know.  It really is frustrating.  I have finished a few movies but it was after so many crashes and I actually deleted all of the photos from the project file that was not in the movie.  Thanks for your help.  I will be waiting to do whatever you suggest.  Alverta

• 5. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

after so many crashes and I actually deleted all of the photos from the project file that was not in the movie.

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Still Images being used?

Approximately how many of those are on the Timeline?

If those Still Images are overly large, and especially if there are many of them, then this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2119226#2119226

Also, in the linked FAQ Entry, that I provided above, there is a section on using Windows' Event Viewer to track down the cause of crashes. That would be one of the first troubleshooting steps, that I would take, if the Still Images are not a part of the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
                    alvgreenwood Level 1

Hi Bill,

the pixels on my stills are 720 width and 405 height.  Someone at Adobe told me not to go over 720, a long time ago.  Thanks for the other info, I will try all of it tomorrow.  Will keep in touch.

• 7. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information.

Those Still Image sizes (pixel x pixel) should not pose a problem, even with a bunch of them.

As for the sizes, here are my thoughts on Scaling:

For use in a Project, I will Scale the bulk of my Still Images to match the Frame Size of the Project, i.e. 720 x 480 for a DV NTSC Standard Project, or 1920 x 1080 for an HD Project. I do any Cropping of the Image, if shot at, say 4000 x 3000 pixels, as needed, in Photoshop.

General suggestions allow for more "wiggle room," and for DV NTSC Standard would be 1000 x 750 pixels, and about 2000 x 1500 for an HD Project. I usually go with exactly what I will need, but the above dimensions do allow for a bit of positioning, in the Project's Frame.

If I need to, say Pan across a Still Image, while Zoomed out to max size, I will then Scale that/those Still Image(s), to just what I need for that Pan. This does happen in situations, such as a Panoramic Still Image.

I think that we have ruled OUT the Still Images, as a cause of the crashes. Something else is coming into play, in your situation. As a frame of reference, I have worked with Timelines with about 700 Still Images, Scaled to 720 x 480 in a DV Project, on a 32-bit OS (XP-Pro) with 4GB installed RAM, with no issues, though that computer was optimized for video editing.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Averta

In reply to SG's original questions, could you please review, consider, and include in that reply to him the following:

I have looked at the specifications for the camera that you are using. It appears to be a hard drive camcorder with 60 GB hard drive. It can record 1080i with AVCHD or SD with MPEG2 compression. But, note that the audio is Dolby Digital 5.1 channel.  With your 720 x 405 still mention, does that imply that your SD video footage is shot widescreen 16:9 or is the camera set for SD 4:3?

What project preset are you using and on what video track is the video automatically going to? Premiere Elements 7 handled 5.1 channel in a unique way. I would expect that your MPEG2.mpg with its 5.1 channel audio is automatically going to a track above 3 and sticking there.

Do you have any other video source that you could try to determine if your issues are due exclusively to the Sony footage or to all videos in general?

But, the low memory messages may be pointing to resources due to your source or other. Yet you say that you have the problem

no matter how long the movie

Just how long is the minimum duration of the Timeline content that you have looked at and have gotten these crashes. Also, if you took all the photos that you have in the original project and left them as is, but removed the video, do you still get those crashes.

Please review and consider. And, then we can decide what next so that you can back to SG with the original questions asked.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
                          alvgreenwood Level 1

Camcorder is the 16.9 setting.  When sizing the stills I use 11.8 by 6.29.  This is info from former help from Adobe.  Should I be using a different size?  The video goes to video 2.  I usually go to the timeline and delete all empty tracks to keep it on the first track.  Unfortunately I don't have another video source.  My movie is about 25 minutes long.  I have done as long as an hour with lots of crashes and persistence, I finish the movie.  Thanks so much for your help.

• 10. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

alvgreenwood

Thanks for the follow up.

Let us work on the stills for a moment. 11.8 x 6.29 sound like document dimensions. They have no value when you are dealing with video. Think pixels. So, we need to look at the pixel dimensions of those images. You will often see

if SD, do not exceed 1000 x 750 pixels (landscape orientation); if HD, do not exceed 2200 x 1238 pixels.

If you are shooting MPEG2.mpg 720 x 480 16:9 with your camera, then your project preset should be NTSC DV Widescreen. Is it? It is curious that you are not having problems with placement of that video with 5.1 channel sound. But, we will not question good fortune. Can you confirm that your video has 5.1 channel audio and not Stereo. I am going by what I have read of your camera's specs online. So far, all them show 5.1 channel in the audio spec.

Why have you opted to place your video on Video 2. Any special reason? Are you working in the Timeline view of the program, not the Sceneline. Often the Sceneline will not present the same way as the Timeline.

If your movie usually is about 25 minutes, see what happens if you cut it down to 15 minutes, even down to 5 minutes so that we can define a limit for the crashes, if there is such a limit.

Let us take a look at the above and see if any of the test results and thoughts shed any light on the core of the issue.

Sometimes the resolution is going to a later version. But, I do not know that we are ready for that yet. And, if it does happen, definitely go the tryout route before any purchase.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
                              alvgreenwood Level 1

Thank you for your help.  I only work with still photos that I size to fit the timeline with 750 x 480 pixels; NTSC DV widescreen; 5.1 channel audio.  And of course my video clips from Sony Camcorder.

The first clip that I dragged to the timeline went to video 2 so I left it there.  Should I move all of the clips to video l and delete all empty tracks?

I always work on the timeline, not scene line.  Is that OK?

I tried a 10 minutes movie, no problems.  It seems that when I get over 20 minutes it starts that "Adobe may have to shut down, save project".  I do need more than 20 minutes to finish a movie.

You mention maybe a later version.  Would that help with the size of Adobe Elements memory?  That seems to be the reason for crashes and shut

downs, no memory left.  It must be Adobe's memory size as my C drive has over 300 free gb.  Thanks for your persistence.  I'll be waiting for further help.  Alverta

• 12. Re: Adobe Priemere Elements 7 Crashes everytime I make a movie
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back up to my Reply # 3, in that linked article, there is a section on stopping other running processes, that can sap both CPU cycles, and then RAM, and Virtual Memory. Did you find out how many other programs and processes are running, while you are editing?

Since your Projects' size seems to be an element in this, I would definitely investigate there.

Good luck,

Hunt