14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 8:08 AM by ECBowen

Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?

naumen Level 1

Hello

i d like to ask if Quadro K2000 video card is 10bit? if so is it exactly 10bit? 1 bilion of collors? not something like 800 millions or something like that?

if its 10bit, then i wonder if its possible for me to use it for 10 bit monitor, just as a display card? if its so it would be a very budget idea

right now i have :

I7 950, WIN 7 ultimate 64bit, 24GB RAM, EVGA gtx 580 3GB classified, MSI X58M , SSD as drive c. PP CS6

so if K2000 is 10 bit card, i d like to add it as a 2nd GPU and connect my new 10bit monitors to it , but at the same time i`d like to continue using my GTX580 for MPE in PP CS6 !

is it possible? as i understood CS6 does not support SLI, but i hope i can use each card for different purpose

in total i am going to buy 3 monitors  - 2 10bit consumer monitors like DELL or ASUS, and 1 10 bit Pro monitor like flanders for color check... seems like i could connect all 3 to K2000

if its possible - are there any special things/manupulations to set it up?

Regards

maybe there are even more budget ideas for 10bit monitoring?

• 2. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes you can set the Nvidia Control Panel to use the Geforce card for acceleration. There is normally a specific process to install the drivers when installing both a Quadro and geforce card.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?
            naumen Level 1

yes i did visit Nvidea and my question remains the same...

also they have NVS cards like NVS 510 i wonder if they are 8 or 10 bit.....

it would sucks to but a 10 bit broadcast monitor but use it with the 8 bit card

• 5. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?
              naumen Level 1

are u sure about K2000? because i spoke with NVIDIA online chat support - and she told only K4000 and up are 10 bit...... if say true person did not "spoke" like 100% sure about it.

so now i wonder is it possible that Quadros K600 or 410 cards are 10 bit?

also what of the Connectors on monitor are is ok for 10 bit? HDMI, DVI-D, or didplay port ?

also i wonder about Black magic cards - its seems like they are also 10 bit..... and some are cheap:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/models

DeckLink Mini Monitor 145usd

has just 2 connectors - 3G SDI out and HDMI out, is there any crazy way how i could connect 3 10bit monitors to it?

also i just found interesting info:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3011

10-bit per color support on NVIDIA Geforce GPUs

Answer ID 3011          |    Published 07/27/2011 11:49 AM          |    Updated 08/02/2011 08:29 AM   

How can I enable 10-bit per color support (30-bit color) in my Geforce graphics card in programs such as Adobe Premiere Pro / Adobe Photoshop?

NVIDIA Geforce graphics cards have offered 10-bit per color out to a full screen Direct X surface since the Geforce 200 series GPUs.  Due to the way most applications use traditional Windows API functions to create the application UI and viewport display, this method is not used for professional applications such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop.  These programs use OpenGL 10-bit per color buffers which require an NVIDIA Quadro GPU with DisplayPort connector.  A small number of monitors support 10-bit per color with Quadro graphics cards over DVI.  For more information on NVIDIA professional line of Quadro GPUs

• 6. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?

If you look at the link to PNY I posted for the Quadro K2000 they list 12-bit internal display pipeline. So according to PNY it does support 10 bit color.

Right now only Displayport on most monitors will give you 10 bit color via the Quadro cards.

As you list below Geforce cards support 10 bit color but only with Direct X and not Open GL. The 10bit color support on Geforce is due to the HDMi 1.3 and 1.4 Deep Color standards. Right now Adobe only supports 10bit via Open GL.

Yes the Blackmagic cards support 10bit color via HDMi or SDI. That is specific to the I/O card manufacturer and their driver/API.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?
                  naumen Level 1

is it possible to split the signal? Blackmagic mini monitor card has just 2 connectors but i need 3 monitors

can expact Blackmagic to work smooth with GTX580? with out the conflicts?

• 8. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?

Yes the Blackmagic will work with the 580GTX. The Blackmagic card will multicast on the outputs but they dont count as Desktop outputs. they will only output from applications that support the Blackmagic hardware/software. You can use a splitter on the outputs but that can add other problems. That is not something I would suggest.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?
                      naumen Level 1

so if i i understood u correctly :

1. 10 bit support only works with programs that support it.... normal work on pc or games or else will get NOT gain anything from 10bit card and 10bit monitor

2. Black magic card will only work with Davinci resolve?

3. Adobe SC6 will not support Balck Magic card ....

i wonder if ill get 10 bit on Resolve with quadro card? if i plan to work on both progs what would u suggest?

Regards

• 10. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?

Games can support 10bit if they use Direct X. If not then they wont. Yes you need a 10bit capable card and monitor along with 10bit capable interface ie Displayport or HDMi

Blackmagic cards work with many applications including Davinci and Adobe products. They just dont run as a video card to extend the desktop.

Blackmagic avoids the confirmation of Resolve and 10bit via Quadro. They mention their cards. I would go with the definitive though and suggest their cards.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?
                          naumen Level 1

so this is what i should do (plz correct me if i am wrong):

i will install in my new (win7 pc ) pc both programs PP and Resolve

I ll use both cards gtx 580 (already own it) and Black magic

i ll connect 10 bit monitors to black magic card, and will use gtx 580 only for MPE in Adobe...... 

now i get true 10 bit during my video editing and color correction? right?

Regards

• 12. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?

Provided that monitor supports 10bit color via that connection. If you have an HDMI Blackmagic card then you would need a HDMI to Displayport converter for many 10bit monitors to get 10bit color preview. Some monitors will support 10bit color via Hdmi. If the Blackmagic card has SDI then you just need a SDI capable monitor or a SDI to Displayport converter.

Eric

ADK

• 13. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?
                              naumen Level 1

from what i read yesterday on black magic site..... system requirements for resolve 10.... they say they support Quadros.... if i understood its right... if so then there are cheap ideas for 10bit cards - Quadro FX cards - some are really cheap and 10bit..... Nvidia says that FX are 10bit. also Nvidia says that 10bit will be only via Display ports, not hdmi or dvi, at least with their cards! what they say actually : 10bit only via DP, But not all cards with DP are 10bit cards....

Currently and its a budget minded idea - for now i ll have only consumer 10bit monitors and i need 10bit card with 2 DP ports .... later when i ll save enough of money ill get 1 of the Flanders monitors (have not seen anything cheaper within Pro 10 bit broadcast monitors) with black magic card....

so right now i have Asus x79 deluxe with Evga CS 580 3gb card, in few weeks it will be updated to 780 TI card. seems like i have enough of space to stick 2 more cards inside (1 Quadro FX and sometimes later blackmagic monitor card)....

So my question is what should be done now in order to install both cards GTX and Quadro FX on my mother board..... so that there would be no conflicts? Nvidia Control Panel is the same for both? right? so its just about drivers?

Regards

• 14. Re: Quadro K2000 is it 10bit?

Unfortunately you talked to the wrong person or didn't see the correct info. If you go under the Geforce cards they list HDMi 1.4 and deep color support. Because HDMI 1.4 is a standard that has set specs that also must include 10 bit color because that is what Deep Color support means. However Nvidia even states themselves that 10 bit color is only via direct X. They do not list HDMi as unsupported because they cant do to the HDMI 1.4 standard. In other words you either are using the 1.4 standard which means you have 10bit color support or your not 1.4 standard which would be opposite from what Nvidia lists for all their 600 series cards.

Eric

ADK