12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 6:39 AM by Peter Spier

Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC

mylesdp

I am attempting to create a large catalogue with Adobe InDesign CC, and presume that the data-merge function is the way to do this? If i use the data merge function, will the template I create adjust to varying amounts of data within the data file - eg some items will take up a quarter of a page, other items may take up a full page. Also, if I use the data merge function, can I manipulate the data manually afterwards - eg for mistakes, alignments, etc? Thanks

• 1. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
          gert verrept Level 2

It can be done, but the difference in length of the blocks could cause some problems. If your catalogue has one item/page, then make the block as long as possible.

You can edit the texts later in the created ID file, if you're updating the excel file, you'll have to redo the merge, so you'll lose the corrections.

• 2. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
            MW Design Level 4

How large is large?

You can use data merge. I would be tempted to run it one record per page and run one of the scripts that will connect each frame to flow into each other. Then make the needed frame adjustments on each page. Not as onerous as it sounds. A script can be had on this site:

http://www.loicaigon.com/en/solutions-en/downloads/

Like Gert writes, edits in the merge file will require a new merge unless you purchase one of the commercial plug-ins.

Set up paragraph and character styles in a sample of the data so when laying out for the merge you can handle most all (or all) of the styles you need.

If you want a healthy learning curve, and you can obtain the data as an XML file, you can also go that route. Same procedure, make a smaller XML file, create the needed styles, map them and import the XML. Your frames will be whole page already and the data will flow from frame to frame without "stitching" the frames back together.

Mike

• 3. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
              mylesdp Level 1

Thanks Gert. The block / placeholder sizes are all different. After doing some more reasearch, I have decided to do the job manually. Thanks for your reply

• 4. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
                mylesdp Level 1

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. The catalogue I am producing is very large, and I have realised the limitations with data merge functions in In-design. I have broken the catalogue into sections and doing it all manually which is fine - there is a lot of detail within the catalogue which will not allow a straight forward data-merge. Also, I can then allocate sections for other staff to complete when they have spare time . Thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it. Cheers Myles

• 5. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
                  Doc Maik Level 4

But still, how large is large in your terms? More than 1000 pages?

Because Indesign has problems handling documents containing more than 100 pages and more or less many images.

• 6. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Doc Maik wrote:

Because Indesign has problems handling documents containing more than 100 pages and more or less many images.

Utter nonsense. Many users routinely work with large files conatining hundreds of pages (even thousands) and images.

• 7. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
                      Doc Maik Level 4

Might be, Peter. But then they most certainly don't use Indesign.

In my case, I'm making a product catalog with 160 pages. Every page contains images and text. Indesign takes ages to check spelling, especially when adding a new word to the poor german dictionary. It takes a lot of time loading and saving the file (~157MB, nothing embedded). If I open the LINKS pane, it takes sometimes some seconds times to list all links, which are quite a few. It sometimes simply crashes on certain actions (good, that it now has a automatic restore function). If I switch to High Quality View, no normal mouse scrolling is possible (normal 1GB desktop graphics card), especially on page where PDFs are placed.

But no, my PC is not old and not poor on CPU power or RAM (it uses the page file rather than the 4GB RAM, but with 4GB RAM I won't deactivate the page files).

After everything that ID does and how much time it takes for actions, I'd still consider it almost incapable of handling large documents well. Sometimes I have 6 or more documents open at the same time, that makes it even worse.

• 8. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
                        gert verrept Level 2

I cannot agree on that. We have docs with more than 250 Mb, with links to all kinds of images, folders, pdf docs etc. Rarely CC crashes, and if it does, mostly it's our fault.

All files are stored on several virtual servers, no problem either.

We're on PC, win 7-64b, cpu i7, 24 MB ram, graphics card 2Gb ram.

• 9. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

4 GB of RAM is not very much and if you check the the system

requirements you'll see that 8 GB is recommended. Are you running the 64

or 32 bit version?

• 10. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can always tell the old timers.

24 MB?

• 11. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
                              gert verrept Level 2

Yes, just stopped swapping floppy disks.

Maybe 24Gb of RAM is a little bit better formulated.

The only thing we encounter, is that when using tables in large documents, sometimes CC behaviour becomes erratic (not showing the outline and fill possibilities of the cells in the control panel).

• 12. Re: Creating a large catalogue with InDesign CC
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

@ Doc, if spell checking is giving you such fits, maybe you should stop using it and try actual proof-reading. Seriously, though, I can understand if you have performance problems on a Mac. The forums are rife with reports of poor performance on the last couple of versions of OS X, but there's no connection to document size, as far as I can tell. If you're having problems on Windows, it's probably your configuration. I've seen quite a few reports of problems on Windows systems using small SSD drives for system and programs where the user profile is still on the C: drive.