4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2013 12:05 PM by Evan Breznyik

Rendering as 10-bit/12-bit color (JPEG 2000?)

Evan Breznyik Level 1

I'm not trying to create a digital cinema package (DCP) per se, but I've got a few questions related to rendering in bit depths greater than 8-bit.

NOTE:  The digital cinema standard (PDF link, see page 31) for package distribution is JPEG 2000 files with 12-bit color (in XYZ color space)...packaged into the MXF container format.

1.  I'm wondering if it's possible to render to any 10-bit or 12-bit color format within After Effects.  Let's assume my source is a 16bpc or 32bpc comp, and I render it to the QuickTime container and select JPEG2000 or one of the other variants.  None of them seems to go above "millions of colors", or 8-bit.  (The one that has the option of "millions of colors plus" still only renders to planar 8-bit [YUV 4:2:0] when I inspect its streams and metadata.)

2.  In the QuickTime container list, what are "Motion JPEG-A" and "Motion JPEG-B"?  These aren't standards with which I'm familiar, and I can't seem to find any detail in the documentation as to what these actually are.  (In all my tests, they're limited to 8-bit color.)

3.  Is the JPEG 2000 codec that's available via QuickTime the same JPEG 2000 codec that's literally the full ISO/IEC 15444 or SMPTE 429-4 standard, or some crippled bits-and-pieces version?

Obviously, I can render to TIFF or OpenEXR sequences in 16bpc or full float...I was just wondering if it was possible to get 10-bit or 12-bit color in a standard container via After Effects CC or Premiere Pro CC (via Media Encoder CC). 

I see the "render at maximum bit depth" option in Premiere Pro, but I've never found a format/container that would output anything higher than 8-bit color...even with 16bpc or 32bpc input media.

Thanks for your help and insight.