6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 8:21 AM by A.T. Romano

pan and zoom along a curved path / using big images to zoom into

horia

I would like to buy premiere elements, but need it for a special taks:

generate a HD animation movie by:

* using a big image (high resolution, e.g. 4000x4000 pixels)

* panning and zooming with the "virtual camera" over this still image to create a more complicated "ken burns effect", and to show only details of the image, or to zoom out to the whole image;

* panning should go along a curved path - is it possible to define a panning path (draw it) and then attach the "camera" to it? (similarily to a rendering software animation procedure)

* i understand that these things would be generally feasible with key editing, but I would need a more exact answer to them, before buying the product. (i also checked other products, like sony vegas, etc. but not all have very advanced possibilities for panning & zooming... nor do some of them show the panning paht...)

additional question:

would be flash a better solution for doing this kind of animation? Which of the two products (premiere elements or flash) would be easier to learn, just for this task?

thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: pan and zoom along a curved path / using big images to zoom into
          Nash_John Level 3

PrE has a tool called PanAndZoom tool, which you can use for achieving ken burns effect but this tool only supports straight pan paths.

For curved pan paths, you can use the Advanced Keyframing options inside the Applied Effects option in PrE.

This is a bit complex, and will need some time, if you are not already comfortable with it.

Pre supports different types of curved pan paths like Bezier, Auto Bezier and Continuous Bezier, which you can use to achieve any type of complex pan and zoom effects.

(The pan path is also shown on the monitor as a dotted line)

I think PrE is a better option because it gives you a wide range of options for exporting the video and also you much more control over your timeline.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: pan and zoom along a curved path / using big images to zoom into
            horia Level 1

Dear John, thank you for your detailed answer!

You refer by PrE to the Premiere Elements software?

So I understand that the

different types of curved pan paths like Bezier, Auto Bezier and Continuous Bezier,

have to be used within the advanced keyframing options, is it right?

And you mean that PrE is a better option compared to Flash?

thanks again!

• 3. Re: pan and zoom along a curved path / using big images to zoom into
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For the control of the animation on a pre-defined, curved Path, I would look into Adobe After Effects (AE). It is a compositing and animation program, and offers a lot more control in doing what you outline. The controls in AE are much more powerful, than PrE (Premiere Elements), BUT the program comes with both a hefty price-tag and a learning curve.

The "Bezier," etc. settings for animation Keyframes are for the Interpolation control between the Keyframes that you set, and control the Velocity between those Keyframes, plus the animation to/from those Keyframes. While they provide very good control, they do not define the Path of say Motion>Position in your animation, only how that animation acts, between the Keyframes - very useful, but different than what I think you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: pan and zoom along a curved path / using big images to zoom into
                A.T. Romano Level 7

horia

If you know this

i understand that these things would be generally feasible with key editing, but I would need a more exact answer to them, before buying the product.

You do not have to buy the product to find your lead in answer. Why not look at the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe to give you a first hand look how Premiere Elements 12 performs in your computer environment and if it will meet your specific video project's goal?

Depending on your computer resources, Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit should "physically" let you import that 4000 x 4000 image, but, for most projects, the classical recommendation is SD not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels and HD not to exceed 2200 x 1238 pixels. Just how many of these 4000 x 4000 images do you envision on your Premiere Elements Timeline? And, what is your intended export of that Timeline?

Keyframing the Motion Panel expanded properties Scale (for Zoom) and Position (for Pan on a curved path) are doable for a single image. The details for the rest have deeper considerations.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: pan and zoom along a curved path / using big images to zoom into
                  horia Level 1

dear all, thanks for all the valuable answers!

dear Romano,

thank you for the details regarding the image size, they are important to me.

My intention is to make a small animation movie by using a single image, that has to be very big, as I intend to "hover" over it with the "camera", so in fact it needs to be panned around, for example by following a spiral path. The part of the image that will be seen in the video is most of the time about 1/5 or less from the total image size. So I am seeing only parts of it. I will also zoom out sometimes, but mainly pan around showing just the details of the image.

• 6. Re: pan and zoom along a curved path / using big images to zoom into
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

horia

I will try to look into this further with my Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit, but I would ask "How do you intend to export your Timeline?" given that you can complete successfully the animation at the Timeline level?

ATR