3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 11:02 AM by Bflat Blues

New project: Use AE or PP?

Bflat Blues

My goal is to create a video where I "help" the viewer follow along with a music score while the music is playing.

I've been using FCPX, but I think that Motion might be more suitable. When I look for a consensus on the web, it seems that AE is the 800 pound gorilla in this arena. Because I'm new to both motion graphics products, I thought I'd learn AE.

So, here's what I have:

1. A PNG graphic that I've created of a score.

2. An audio file of that music.

What I'd like to do is to "scroll" across the score and add the audio file. This would give the viewer the feeling of reading the music. Along the way I'd like to have items like lines, circles, and arrows highlight things in the score that is coordinated to the music.

What's the product to use for this? Do I create a static page in PP, add the audio, and then transfer that to AE for the scrolling? Or can I do the whole thing in AE?

Any assistance on the approach to take in either product would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: New project: Use AE or PP?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd say you'd probably want to do this in AE, but the learning curve isn't something to ignore. To learn AE, start here. It does not work at all like a video editing program, so you'll need to get a good foundation before you charge forward into a world of frustration.

• 2. Re: New project: Use AE or PP?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you are talking about is just position keyframes and layers. You can do it by hand or, with a little planning, use expressions to help automate the process. The first solution you can do with a basic knowledge of spatial (animating position) and keyframes. The second will require some time and a full understanding all of the assets you have to create the composition.

• 3. Re: New project: Use AE or PP?
              Bflat Blues Level 1

Thank you both for the quick replies. I started to go through some online training and purchased an ebook (Adobe Classroom in a Book for AE CS6), so  I'm off.

I'm  familiar with using keyframes and layers in the Apple world of the older FCS and FCPX so the concepts are not problematic. We'll see how I do when I start working through the exercises. I agree that the learning curve will be a challenge, but AE seems to be a good tool to have in my "toolbelt."

It's great to know that there are folks like you willing to take the time and effort to help. Thanks again.