24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2014 9:14 AM by the_wine_snob

Smartsound

Catbadh

How can I use smartsound files in Elements 12. I bought a lot of files, in Elements 11 it works perfect.

• 1. Re: Smartsound
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Catbadh

Here is my take on your question.

If you have the SmartSound soundtrack files from Premiere Elements 11 as .wav files saved to your computer hard drive, there should be no problem importing them into a Premiere Elements 12 project with Premiere Elements 12's Add Media/Files and Folders. But you are not going to get the Premiere Elements 12 .sbsc used (saved automatically to the Document area) into any other version of Premiere Elements.

It would appear that the Premiere Elements 12 "scored soundtracks" under the Audio Tab work off the "SmartSound concept" but do not come with the SmartSound name. The Music Scores appear to come as .sbsc files which appear to represent Adobe Soundbooth Score document, not .wav. Please check out what I have described in my blog posts related to these scored music files of version 12.

Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries

Items 0003 and 0004

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-daily-discoveries.html

Premiere Elements 12 First Look

Part 3 CONTENT Audio

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/premiere-elements-12-first-look-details.html

I will take a further look into this.

ATR

• 2. Re: Smartsound
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

ATR has covered the differences between how music was "created" in PrE 11 vs PrE 12.

For use of your SmartSound music, in PrE 12, one can use the SmartSound Sonicfire Pro 5 (free, non-Scoring, edition), which can be downloaded from SmartSound.com. This will now be a free-standing program, and not working as a plug-in to PrE 12. The creation function will be the same, but one would Save_As a WAV file, when the creation is complete, and that WAV can then be Imported into the PrE 12 Project, like any other WAV file. This does involve additional steps, but is also the way that things were once done with Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition (the paid version), before it too was rewritten to work as a plug-in.

When working with the old Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition, I would usually Export a "reference Video file," which was Imported into Sonicfire Pro 5. The quality of that reference file could be fairly rough, though the edits would have been completed. Then, the SmartSound music library is accessed via Express Tracks (was once called Maestro), and then adjusted, as necessary. When that SmartSound soundtrack was complete, one would just Export that as a WAV file, for Import into Premiere.

In the case of the Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition (the paid version), one had much more control, with any of the SmartSound Multi-Track music. Mood Mapping, Hits and all sorts of editing could be applied. With the free Sonicfire Pro 5 Express Tracks version, there are fewer editing functions, that can be applied, but still many.

I have not had time to explore any possible interface between Sonicfire Pro 5 Express Tracks (the free version), and PrE 12, but hope to be able to sit down and test next month, to see if there are any possibilities of using Sonicfire Pro 5, as it worked in PrE 11. At least the above is a viable workaround, albeit with some extra steps involved.

Going back to those old days, when Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition was a stand-alone only program, when I needed to get exact Durations for a piece of SmartSound music, I would use the PrE WAB (Work Area Bar) to get that. Besides limiting the area of the Timeline to be Rendered, or output, it is also a great "measuring tool," for Duration between the "brackets." This article goes into a bit more detail on using the WAB in that way: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5170142#5170142

Good luck, and I hope to have some updates on SmartSound, in a few weeks. I have been working with the SmartSound Support Team, to get many of the aspects of Sonicfire Pro included, but just when I thought we had things pretty well worked out, along came PrE 12, and its departure from SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro, and the inclusion of the new Scoring, which ATR outlines. Just something else to do...

Hunt

• 3. Re: Smartsound
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I have never gone the purchase SmartSound soundtracks route. Stayed with whatever the Premiere Elements feature was offering free.

Apparently you are into this and have a large collection of purchased SmartSound (Sonicfire Pro 5 or whatever it may be called).

When you purchased these soundtracks, what format were they given in? Did they come with .wav file extensions? If not, then what?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Smartsound
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The SmartSound libraries are in .SDS format, and there are also Library files, in .BLK and .BLX formats, plus Exporters and some other handler files, many in .SDX format.

The Library files are downloaded from SmartSound with their updates, and cover ALL of the SmartSound music available. That is why, in Express Tracks, one can Search for music at SmartSound, as well as on one's computer, i.e. the purchased and installed SmartSound music.

As for my SmartSound library, I have a bit over 6,000 music files, though some of those are in both 44.1KHz and 48KHz, so there are some duplicates, as far as titles are concerned. I also have a few hundred of the older 22KHz songs, from their old "Home Movie" collection.

Now, when I use SmartSound (through Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition), I Export to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, which are then Imported into Premiere, or into PrPro, or AE, via the Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition plug-in.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Smartsound
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Is this a standalone

SmartSound (through Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition

So, are you saying that what you have purchased and get as SSD files need to go through a conversion before use? In your case, as a .wav export of the above standalone to the computer hard drive save location?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...in this instance I am interested primarily in the SSD files.

• 6. Re: Smartsound
                    Catbadh Level 1

Thank you for the help. I will use the Sonicfire Programm.

• 7. Re: Smartsound
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition is available as a stand-alone, or as a plug-in for Premiere Pro, and/or After Effects.

The .SDS files are the native format of SmartSound music, so there is no conversion. They are just Opened into Sonicfire Pro, to be edited, in many respects, as is needed. I am unaware of any other application, that can Open the .SDS files, beyond the old SmartSound QuickTracks (was the plug-in included in earlier versions of PrE, or downloadable and used with earlier versions of PrPro, and the variations of Sonicfire Pro (both the stand-alone, the PrE version, or some other NLE's. There were also versions of it for AVID, Pinnacle, FCP and Sony Vegas, IIRC. I had used an older version in both AVID and Pinnacle, then in PrE, and PrPro. Back then, that plug-in did not work in After Effects. Adobe Audition cannot Open them, and nor can Sony Acid. I doubt that Audacity can Open them either - they are proprietary to SmartSound and Sonicfire Pro.

If I use my Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition, I just output to a PCM/WAV, to be Imported into PrE. If I use my plug-in version, it will link directly to PrPro, or AE, from CS 5.

Once, those were the files included in the various NLE programs, for working with some form of SmartSound. In my collection, I still have the original ones from both AVID and Pinnacle, but had to Copy over those Library BLK/BLX files, as those were NOT included in the SmartSound Library updates.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Smartsound
                        BillyDBrown Level 1

Hi Bill and AT,

You have responded to a few of my questions recently. You may recall that I am new to video editing.

I happened to own a copy of the Elements Software ver 11 pairing that I picked up inexpensively with my camera, so I started with that. I figured that there was no need for me to upgrade since I didn't know anything anyway and 11 wasn't that old. I also downloaded and installed it's companion copy of SmartSound Express Track and SonicFire Pro 5 which I assume will disappear in a few days unless I cough up the $100 bucks although I'm not getting any messages to indicate that. (Please let me know if you know off hand whether my assumption is correct.) I was just about to dig into SmartSound only to realize that it's changing with ver 12. Now, I'm not so sure what my strategy should be.

Though I have little idea or familiarity with what other royalty free music sites may be out there, SmartSound looks like a great tool albeit not inexpensive. I take it from the extent of the number of Bill's titles and the effort he has undertaken to integrate it with Adobe software, that he thinks so too. Would either of you be willing to elaborate? What do you think of it's value compared to Adobe's ver 12 offering in general and the libraries and scoring systems specifically?

I suppose if money were no object, the thing to do would be to upgrade to PrE ver12, if only for the included sound library and purchase audio and possibly software from SmartSound as well if more is needed. Your thoughts on whether this is a reasonable strategy? Is the library alone worth the upgrade if one were to use a few tracks? It seems like audio can get quite expensive especially at $40/track. But it also seems like it has to work and I'm just guessing that it can be a time suck especially without decent selection and editing tools or the needed track lengths. That must be why SmartSound can get away with charging as much as it does. Would you agree?

I look forward to learning of your opinions as well as any further research.

PS. Bill, just curious, why do you hang out with PrE if you own all those pro packages?  A.T., same question if it applies?

• 9. Re: Smartsound
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

BillyDBrown

My interest in SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 are not anywhere to the intent as Hunt's. I have written in detail about the Premiere Elements 12 "Music Scores" in my blog posts. Please refer to:

Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries

Item 0003. Premiere Elements 12 Audio Tab/Music Score Issues

Item 0004. More Premiere Elements 12 Audio Tab/Music Score Considerations

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-daily-discoveries.html

and

Premiere Elements 12 First Look Details

Part 3 CONTENT/Audio

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/premiere-elements-12-first-look-details.html

At this time I have no expectation that the SmartSounds products can be used in Premiere Elements 12 unless converted to .wav beforehand. The .SDS or similar file extensions for SmartSounds are not supported by Premiere Elements workspaces. BUT and HOWEVER, the .wav file extension is, and the same SmartSound .SDS file that will not import into Premiere Elements will import if the file is renamed from ......SDS to .......wav. BUT what happens to the "SmartSound" nature of that file on the Timeline is another matter when it comes to changing the duration of the file to suit the need and not impact the music arrangement. As you know, the SDS music is delivered to the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline as wav with the duration adjustment done in the SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 workspace which does not exist in Premiere Elements 12.

I am and always will be strictly an Elements user. I have no interests in Pro software. My goals are to get the best possible from Premiere Elements, using 3rd party supplemental software only when necessary rather than to give up and say better = Pro.

Bottom Line: Under the Premiere Elements 12 Audio Tab (called Music Tab in version 11) is housed Sound Effects besides Music Scores which appear to be related to SmartSound in concept but not name. The titles for those Sound Effects are unbelievable and the practicality of their use based on titles is yet to be determined. It will be interesting to learn how Hunt goes about salvaging his extensive SmartSound collection in Premiere Elements 12.

ATR

• 10. Re: Smartsound
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

BillyD,

First, I do hang in several Adobe Forums, including the PrPro Forums. One thing has slowed down my participation for PrPro (above CS 6) is the CC (Creative Cloud). It is a subscription-based licensing scheme, and not one that I am contemplating at this point, being retired. PrPro CC has made a lot of changes (about like PrE 10 to 11, or 12). It also change dynamically, as updates are issued. That is good for a user, who feels that the CC is the way to go, and has invested in the "rental" model, but it means that things can change drastically, update to update, so one needs CC, and each update, to be able to help others at a 100% level. That leaves me behind, though for PrPro CS 6 and earlier, or for general questions, I can still contribute. Though I use PrE less often, than PrPro, I like to stay current on it, and again, to help, where I can. Think of my participation in the Adobe Forums as a hobby - like my work on ChowHound, TripAdvisor, MilePoint, and other travel, or food/wine sites - just a hobby, with which I can share to others.

As for SmartSound, I do not regret my investment. While some of the songs have never been used, many have, and possessing the ability to select, hold a charm for me. Now, over the years, I have waited for the SmartSound "sales," to buy most of my music. Going back to when I was editing commercially, there were times, when I needed to acquire a special song, so would buy the disc, even if it was not on sale. Now, it's sale only, and with my library, I find it more difficult finding useful music on sale. It got so complicated, that I created a spreadsheet to track what I already owned. That has limited mistakes, of buying the same disc, more than once. Even with my library, I found that I had a hole in my collection, so about two years ago, took advantage of one of SmartSound's Buy 8 for the price of 5, or similar, and the hole was filled. I had a year to buy the discs toward my total, and did pick up some of the "new music," along with the "Bluegrass" music, that I needed. Again, for me, the investment was worth the $, though it DID get started, when I was doing commercial work. Were I then, only a hobbyist, I would likely own less, but still use what I had.

As for PrE 12, things HAVE changed. However, much beyond that, I am still reading Steve Grisetti and ATR, to find out all the ways. It appears that the Scores, included in PrE 12, are NOT related to SmartSound (but I do have a question on that posed to SmartSound Support), so one would probably not be able to use SmartSound music directly in PrE 12, through the Scores module. I also do not know if PrE 12's Scores will work in Sonicfire Pro, or if Adobe will ever release more base music, beyond what is included. Questions, for which I have no answers yet. I will post more details, when I have received replies from SmartSound, and have had time to explore completely.

Still, with Sonicfire Pro, one CAN use SmartSound music, but the process is not quiet so easy, as with Scores, or with SmartSound in PrE before 12. That workflow is described, and is the one that I used for years with Sonicfire Pro, before it was released as a plug-in for PrPro and AE.

Now, if you have PrE 11, there are not THAT many changes between it, and PrE 12. If those new features are not tempting to one, then PrE 11 would be a good version to stay with. Now, and with that said, Adobe did drop some useful features (like advanced Type handling in Titler), that were not reinstated in PrE 12. For some of those "dropped" features, there are workaround, usually involving other programs, like Photoshop, Illustrator, or others, so all was not lost with PrE 11, other than having some controls right in the program.

Maybe ATR, or Steve G, will know if Adobe will offer more music in the Scores format, or another, that can be used with that module. I would hope so, or one is relegated to only what is included and installed - might be enough for many users, but I would feel limited, personally.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Smartsound
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Unless I learn of some hidden "trick," I will revert to my old workflow of doing my scoring in Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition, and then outputting a finished PCM/WAV from it, to be Imported and used in PrE 12. As mentioned elsewhere, that DOES preclude dynamic adjustments in the Duration of that music score, except by going back to Sonicfire Pro for adjustments. In my case (I do not do music videos), the scoring of the Project is the last thing that I do, before output, so video has been edited completely, and those edits "locked down." Not as efficient, as using Sonicfire Pro as a plug-in, but it is the way that I began working with the SmartSound music, so is not alien to me.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Smartsound
                                BillyDBrown Level 1

A.T.

I read your posts. Their description is very comprehensive and helpful. It will take me a while to digest them fully.

Thanks for your analysis!

BillyD

• 13. Re: Smartsound
                                  BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks for your advice Bill! Glad you are here and interested in contributing.

BillyD

• 14. Re: Smartsound
                                    BillyDBrown Level 1

Hi Bill - you there?

My journey continues. I wound up upgrading from PrE v11 to 12, mostly to check out the audio developments but still decided to go with the richer musical resource provided by SmartSound Sonic Fire Pro. I wonder if I might request some workflow and tool selection advice on my first project. We are creating a set of 13 training videos comprising about 90 min in total.

My beginner video maker tool set is currently comprised of PrE v11 and 12, Camtasia Studio v8.2, and the latest version of Audacity.

Given one of my video tracks is a PowerPoint screencast, I actually opted to do build my video project in Camtasia Studio and I used Audacity to clean up my narration audio file. To date, the project includes a screencast track, video camera footage, still photos, some visual effects, and an audio narration track. My partner is currenlty constructing the musical soundtrack in Sonic Fire Pro v5.8. In terms of audio development, we plan to add some sound effects then mix the relative volumes.

Question:  Which application would you recommend I use to add the sound effects, create the audio mix, and complete the project? I think I could actually do at least some of the remaining work with any of my tools. Question is, which would be best.

Some thoughts come to mind but they've yet to coalesce into a clear direction. Here they are:

• SmartSound:  The score is here but SmartSound tech support has advised me to create the mix outside of Sonic Fire. They dubbed it capable but perhaps, not optimum for non SmartSound files. Besides, though not absolutely necessary, it would probably be nice to have the separate audio tracks in the main video project file rather than a single audio track with the pieces in Sonic Fire Pro.
                                    • Audacity:  Not sure if it has an automatic mixer, otherwise I'm thinking Audacity may have the most tools of the three for audio editing. Besides potentially lacking an automatic mixer, the main problem with Audacity is, I think I need a solid video reference to get my timing down and Audacity has no video.
                                    • Camtasia Studio - Could be done. I would have to adjust all the volume levels manually by inserting and manipulating audio edit points. Not sure how big a deal that is.
                                    • PrE: Another option. It offers a few mixing tools with various levels of automation. Would it be worth publishing an AVI file of the video from Camtasia for import into PrE and use it to complete the audio portion of the project, i.e. adding the sound effects, narration, and musical score in separate tracks, mix, and publish the final master for the project from there? Either Camtasia or PrE will publish to web for streaming but we want to publish to DVD as well and the current version of Camtasia no longer publishes to DVD. So, I was thinking about authoring the  DVD in PrE anyway. If PrE turned out to be the best choice, would using version 11 with SmartSound integration offer any advantages over using version 12?

I hope that this is not too involved a question but I'd be grateful if you would share your a recommendation. Don't be constrained by my incomplete musings. Feel free to offer something new that I haven't even thought of yet as well.

Kind Regards,

BillyD

• 15. Re: Smartsound
                                      nealeh Level 5

I'd go for PRE, it's pretty much a significant part of what PRE is designed for. As you're creating the soundtrack in SonicFirePro anyway it will produce a .wav file that will import just as easily into v12 as v11, so if you have both you might as well go with the newer. That said for the workflow you describe 11 & 12 can both do pretty much the same thing.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 16. Re: Smartsound
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello BillyD,

If you are using PrE 12 (no SmartSound IN PrE 12), and Sonicfire Pro with SmartSound music, here is my workflow:

1. Edit completely in PrE 12.
                                        2. Publish+Share a "reference" AV file - exact specs. are not THAT important, as all you care about is to have visuals and Audio from your Timeline. I go with whatever is quickest, and one can drop the Bit-Rate down, as this file will be for reference only. When everything is complete, this file will be Deleted.
                                        3. Import that reference file into Sonicfire Pro.
                                        4. There, choose the SmartSound music, and establish the Duration, of each piece, to fit the Timeline material, or parts of it.
                                        5. Do Sonicfire Pro editing (how much you can adjust, will depend on whether you have the free version, or the paid Scoring Edition).
                                        6. When that scoring is complete, Export the Sonicfire Pro Timeline to a PCM/WAV file @ 48KHz 16-bit.
                                        7. Import that WAV into the PrE Project, and drag to an empty Audio Track. I find this easiest by first hitting the Home key, to move the CTI to the first Frame on the Timeline, and then drag that Imported WAV to the empty Audio Track, where it should Snap to the CTI and Frame one.
                                        8. Done

The reason that I suggest an empty Audio Track is that some users have experienced issues with the Soundtrack Audio Track, with certain Projects. I just do not use it - in case.

If I have omitted something, or you do not understand any of my suggested workflow, let me know.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Smartsound
                                          BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks Bill,

Clarification: I have Sonic Fire Pro not free.

• If you are familiar with Camtasia, given that I began the AV project in it, would you still port it over to PrE?
                                          • Would you agree with Neale above that integration of SmartSound with PrE v11 does not offer any advantages over working with PrE v12 in this respect?
                                          • Where in your workflow do you add sound effects?
                                          • Do you use Sonic Fire Pro for any editing other than musical score?
                                          • Where in your workflow do you adjust volume levels to mix your audio tracks - music, narration, sound effects?

BillyD

• 18. Re: Smartsound
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

BillyD,

Clarification: I have Sonic Fire Pro not free.

There are two versions of Sonicfire Pro 5:

The free version, often typified as the "Express Tracks" version, though there are some inaccuracies to that.

The paid Scoring Edition version, which allows full utilization of the SmartSound Multi-Track music. I assume that is the version that you have - right?

I have explored Camtasia, but do not own it. From what I recall, from a trial that I did (probably a version, or two ago), it could edit the Project, but there were limitations to its editing capabilities. However, let's say that it can do all that you need, on the editing front - then PrE would not figure into the workflow.

One concern that I would have, is whether it can output to an AV file (I'm thinking about the "reference file" here), other than with the TechSmith CODEC. Now, as I do not use Camtasia, I do not know if Sonicfire Pro 5 (either version) can play the TechSmith CODEC, but if it can, then you are home free.

For SFX, I usually add those in PrE/PrPro, so that they will be output to my reference file, and I can hear those, when adding/scoring my SmartSound soundtrack. However, you can add them IN Sonicfire Pro 5, whether they are WAV, SmartSound SFX or probably MP3 SFX files (have not tried that, but use a lot of MP3 SFX files in Premiere).

For adjustments to my non-SmartSound Audio, I usually do that in Premiere, or perhaps in Audition, if it is intricate.

I use Sonicfire Pro 5 ONLY for my soundtrack scoring, though it can probably do a bit more - in my workflow, other Audio is handled outside of it.

Hope that has answered all questions. If I missed one, or you want additional clarification, do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Smartsound
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I am not sure if what I am about to post is the time or place for it. But, pending alternative choices here, I will include it here since it seems to go to SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 and update/patch for the later in a way.

It is my recollection that you have been encouraging the Sonicfire Pro 5 update/patch 5.7.5 for versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 12.

http://www.smartsound.com/support/updates?product=sfp5

I think the reason given was related to users having problems with the feature and getting associated No Disc messages. Am I correct on that history so far?

Last night I was installing full Content for Premiere Elements 10 and 11 so that I could troubleshoot an Instant Movie theme issue in 12. Keep in mind that SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 in both 10 and 11 programs were taken to SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 5.7.5 patch a long time ago and left that way even though no before after difference was noted.

After the install of the 10 and 11 Content, when I went to use any Content, I got hit with the No Disc message and was forced to insert the Content Disc (Adobe's or mine (in the case of 11)) in the burner tray to avoid the No Disc issue.

The bottom line was that after restarting the computer, the No Disc message disappeared, and I did not have to have a disc in the burner tray in order to use the Premiere Elements Content.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if a user has the No Disc presentation, SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 patch is not an automatic answer.

ATR

• 20. Re: Smartsound
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thanks for the update.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if a user has the No Disc presentation, SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 patch is not an automatic answer.

For many, that patch has been a fix, but as you say, similar symptoms, may well have different answers, and this might be a perfect example.

Now, quick question: when you did insert the installation disc, was there any noticeable activity, such as a component being installed, or a file on the disc being accessed?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Smartsound
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

when you did insert the installation disc, was there any noticeable activity, such as a component being installed, or a file on the disc being accessed?

None of that.

Without the disc in the burner tray, clicking the pop up's Cancel - Try Again - Continue would do nothing to remove the pop up. Nothing happening anywhere. In progress bars or other. Nothing. Repeated hits on Continue did no good.

With No Disc message presenting, once the disc was in the burner tray, I had to hit Continue once on the pop up to "Continue" without issue. Just inserting the disc into the burner tray did not automatically make the No Disc message disappear and allow me to continue automatically. I had to hit Continue.

Once the computer was restarted, Content could be used in these programs without a disc in the burner tray. And, strange as it may sound, the computer did not much care what disc! That last observation and conclusion merits validation and further study at another time.

ATR

• 22. Re: Smartsound
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that. As I have never encountered that error message, I can only go by what others have encountered.

Going back to about the initial release of PrE 11, we started to see this, or very similar error messages quite often. Neale first suggested the installing of the SmartSound patch, and that fixed the error for about everyone, who encountered it. There were so many instances of the same error message, that I created an ANNOUNCEMENT at the top of the main forum page, recommending the patch. That has now expired. I also added the reference to the SmartSound patch in my Tips & Tricks article on SmartSound.

While I might have missed a few, your expreriences with the patch, and that error message, are unique to me. The patch has been the cure for all, who encountered that error, as far as I can recall.

I have no idea why you got that error, and was hoping that you could point to PrE installing something, to clear it, as the patch has not been a good thing to your installation of PrE 11.

When I installed PrE 11, I went to SmartSound (never got the error message about a disc in my multi-drive), but it would not launch. Based on Neale's tip, I downloaded, and installed the patch, and all worked well. I did have to add my SmartSound Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition (paid version), to get it back to the Scoring Edition, but other than that, all has worked perfectly, and no error message - ever.

I don't know what else to offer, beyond my observations, and the myriad posts, where the SmartSound Sonicfire Pro patch, cleared things up.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Smartsound
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks.

As always, we will share what we find and hope that it might be of assistance to those with similar problems.

But, as you know I always write, problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. So we will continue to try to make the distinction between similar and same.

Again, thanks for you observations.

ATR

• 24. Re: Smartsound
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

But, as you know I always write, problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. So we will continue to try to make the distinction between similar and same.

So very true! That is why, when someone tags onto a thread, with "Hey, that's happening to me too," but offers no details on THEIR system, Project, Assets, etc., it is not always the same thing - though the behavior, or manifestation might appear so, initially.

Keep the reports coming.

Hunt