4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2013 8:38 AM by Cobby17 RSS

What's the best way to save an 8.5 x 11 image for use as a page background in a PDF?

Cobby17

What's the best way to save an 8.5 x 11 image for use as a page background in a PDF? My goal is to have a relatively small final .pdf file size that includes numerous pages with full 8.5 x 11 images as backgrounds in the document. If I save at 8.5 x 11 and 72dpi (example), the image is not 8.5 x 11, and the quality is not good enough. I need help with size, dpi, and file format to save as before I place it in InDesign and then save as a .pdf.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: What's the best way to save an 8.5 x 11 image for use as a page background in a PDF?
          Trevor.Dennis MVP

Hi Jim, and welcome to the Photoshop forum.  Just wondering why PDF?  Indesign works with PSD files, and InDesign will do all the working out compression wise etc. when performing the final export to whatever format your end use needs.

• 2. Re: What's the best way to save an 8.5 x 11 image for use as a page background in a PDF?
            Cobby17 Community Member

Hi Trevor... thanks for responding. My end use format required is a .pdf that I can email - usually a mixumum of 5MB. The audience for my presentations require a .pdf. Sorry if I am mis-understanding your point. I want to take a photograph, have it fill the entire page, and then I lay text over it. Maybe I'm dumber than I thought.... (that is possibe).

• 3. Re: What's the best way to save an 8.5 x 11 image for use as a page background in a PDF?
              Trevor.Dennis MVP

Do exactly what I said then.  Create the InDesign document of the required dimension, and chose whether it will be high quality print, or Interactive PDF.  It really doesn't mater what format you bring the image into that document.  It can be JPG, PNG, but I usually use native Photoshop PSD.  The image does have to be of high enough resolution, but it can be many times bigger than iis required for the final export.  (InDesign does not import the image, but rather references it on your hard drive.)

When you have placed your text and finished your page, then export it to PDF, but go through the tabs chosing suitable settings.  If the image needs to be downsized, InDesign will do that at this stage while building the PDF.

If you can tell us how this presentation will be made (Projector, overhead projector, printed page etc. or just emailed to the end users) we can help you more with the final output settings. 

• 4. Re: What's the best way to save an 8.5 x 11 image for use as a page background in a PDF?
                Cobby17 Community Member

OK Trevor... making some progress. When I open a new document in InDesign, I am seeing "Print", "Web" or "Digital Publishing" under a tab; "Intent", but I do not see where I would get "High Quality Print" or "Interactive PDF". I see "High Quality Print" as an option when I export to PDF, but not during setting up the document. I have tried several different pre-sets for exporting and this does change my ultimate file size. Regarding final output settings, it would be helpful to get your advice on that for 'printed page'. Thanks again for your patience.

Jim