7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 11:30 AM by A.T. Romano

Video support

timothy72

I am looking to buy a new camcorder that supports AVCHD.  I have Premier Elements 7 that says it suports

AVCHD(.mp4,.mts).  Is this the same?

• 1. Re: Video support
          A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

AVCHD, often represented as MPEG4 AVC/H.264, is a type of video compression, a very resource demanding one at that.

In contrast, .mp4 and .mts are file extensions and represent the container/wrapper format for the video and audio compression in the file.

So, what you show "AVCHD (.mp4, .mts)" would point to a file with AVCHD video compression with a .mp4 or .mts file extension.

As  I mentioned AVCHD files are very resource demanding. And, Premiere Elements 7 is a 32 bit application in a 32 bit or 64 bit Windows computer environment. In this case, the limitations of 32 bit system exist, that is, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3 GB or less of that are available. With the larger projects, you will likely be up against a resource problem.

Premiere Elements 10, 11, and 12 are 64 bit applications when run on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. As such, they can take advantage of the 64 bit resources. If your AVCHD projects are on the large side, you can consider

a. converting the AVCHD to a less resource demanding format prior to import into Premiere Elements 7

or

b. moving to Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. (Premiere Elements 11 and 12 are 64 bit applications on Mac 64 bit).

Please review and then let us know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video support
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Further ATR's point, if you're going to edit AVCHD, I highly recommend you upgrade to version 10, 11 or 12.

AVCHD editing was pretty primitive in earlier versions of the program and demanding a pretty high-powered computer and regular rendering of your timeline.

Since version 10, Premiere Elements has become better and better at editing AVCHD video -- so much so that, in version 11 and 12, even my dual core machine can edit it without even working up a sweat.

• 3. Re: Video support
              timothy72 Level 1

Thank you so much.  It looks like I should upgrade my PE to 11 or 12.  Should I assume that 12, being the latest one is better?  Also, you mention windows  7 or 8.  My computer is Vista.  Is that going to be a problem?

• 4. Re: Video support
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

"Elements Editor runs in 32-bit mode on Windows XP and Windows Vista"

You need Windows 7 or Windows 8 to use the 64bit version of the program... the 32bit version will only use 3Gig of ram, no matter how much you have installed

• 5. Re: Video support
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

You should be able to install Premiere Elements 12 on Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit, but....

Premiere Elements 12 is not a 64 bit application running on those operating systems. Premiere Elements 12 becomes a 64 bit application when it is installed specifically on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. Then it can take full advantage of 64 bit resources. That translates into getting those large size, resource demanding projects, to a successful complete at a far greater frequency.

There are some new features in 12 as compared to 11, but essentially I find versions 11 and 12 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit to be the same. If you get a good deal on Premiere Elements 11, take a look at the new features of Premiere Elements 12 to see if they merit you buying version 12. Do you need them?

adobe.com/products/premiere-elements.html?sdid=HTGJE&skwcid=AL!3085!3!31226936834!e!!g!!pr emiere elements 12&ef_id=UldbgQAABApO9TML:20131016175453:s

Also, consider downloading and installing the free 30 tryout of Premiere Elements 12 in your present computer system to get a baseline for your decisions on what to purchase.

Looking forward to further developments.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: Video support
                    timothy72 Level 1

Thank you so very much.  You have been so helpful.  I did not know you could download a free trial of PE12.  That certainly seems the way to go.  I started off with just wanting to buy a new camcorder, then I had to add the PE upgrade.  Hopefully I won't have to get a new computer just yet!!  I really appreciate your help.

• 7. Re: Video support
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

Thanks for the follow up.

Since there are several investments to be made in your choices, please get all your information together before any purchases. Define what works for you in your specific circumstances and then decide which way to go. Often one decision triggers off a chain of decisions.

We are looking forward to your results.

Success with your choices whatever they may be.

ATR