2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 9:51 AM by petergaraway

GPU timeline render question - yellow bar

denez mcadoo Level 1

I have a GeForce GTX 650 Ti, which I know is not an officially supported card so perhaps this is related to the issue, but it should be sufficiently beefy enough to handle the load. Anyway, I've got Premiere to accept the card and have GPU acceleration enabled. I was recently doing a somewhat simple effect of speeding up a clip by a lot for a time-laps effect. With GPU acceleration turned on, the render bar is yellow, indicating that the effect may need to render for real-time playback. With GPU acceleration turned off (CPU acceleration on), the render bar is red - deffinatly needs a render. This issue is that with GPU acceleration on, the yellow bar won't render. Hitting Enter or Return just move the playhead to the begining and starts playback. Same for Sequence> Render Effects in Work Area. The clip is not playing back smoothly with GPU yellow bar. Shutting off GPU acceleration, just so I can get a red bar and render seems stupid and not the correct solution.

• 1. Re: GPU timeline render question - yellow bar
          Jim_Simon Level 8

What your seeing is normal behavior.  Yellow doesn't render.  You don't necessarily need smooth playback in the timeline, but if you want it, you can force it with Sequence>Render In to Out.

• 2. Re: GPU timeline render question - yellow bar
            petergaraway Adobe Employee

Refer to this blog post for more further details on rendering: http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

"

With that preparatory definition out of the way, what do the colored bars mean?

• green: This segment of the sequence has a rendered preview file associated with it. Playback will play using the rendered preview file. Playback at full quality is certain to be in real time.
            • yellow: This segment of the sequence does not have a rendered preview file associated with it. Playback will play by rendering each frame just before the CTI reaches it. Playback at full quality will probably be in real time (but it might not be).
            • red: This segment of the sequence does not have a rendered preview file associated with it. Playback will play by rendering each frame just before the CTI reaches it. Playback at full quality will probably not be in real time (but it might be).
            • none: This segment of the sequence does not have a rendered preview file associated with it, but the codec of the source media is simple enough that it can essentially be treated as its own preview file. Playback will play directly from the original source media file. Playback at full quality is certain to be in real time. This only occurs for a few codecs (including DV and DVCPRO)."

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro