4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 12:26 PM by Rick Gerard

After Effects CC: Motion Blur, 3D Layers and Opacity

rlr29711 Level 1

Hi All,

I've had this problem for a while now (it happened in CS6 as well).

I'm animating vector layers from Illustrator (continuously rasterize on).  When I apply a camera, 3D Layer and Motion Blur I have a consistent glitch (or maybe not a glitch but conflicting variables). 

If I simply animate one layer from 100% opacity to 0%, and another from 0% to 100% from keyframe : 01 to : 02 (switch off, not fade) the top layer lingers with transparency for an extra frame - it doesn't switch off cleanly.

This creates frustrating issues which I have worked around once I go into Avid, but I'd greatly appreciate some advice on how to avoid the issue altogether.  It's particularly frustrating if I am trying to do a smooth camera move and I have have a lingering frame.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: After Effects CC: Motion Blur, 3D Layers and Opacity
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've never seen this issue. Could you send a screenshot of a problematic layer so that it is zoomed in to the frame level showing the keyframes and the end of the layer. I suspect that the second keyframe is set one frame past the end of the layer.

Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 9.28.19 AM.png

That brings up a point, when you set opacity to 0 do you set an out point? It's a good practice.

• 3. Re: After Effects CC: Motion Blur, 3D Layers and Opacity
            rlr29711 Level 1

This also brings up another frustrating issue I have with motion blur.  When I do a slow push in with the camera on the z-axis the images I have embedded in the illustrator files vibrate, ruining the effect of a smooth push in.  Any help much appreciated.

• 4. Re: After Effects CC: Motion Blur, 3D Layers and Opacity
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure where the screen shots are coming from. What frame? Please give us a close up view of the timeline with the problematic frames properties revealed by pressing the u button twice and tell us what frame the still frames are from. One think I can see is that the layer with the opacity set to 0 does not have an out point set. I cannot see the timing of the keyframes because the timeline is zoomed out all the way.

As far as the jittery edges, if you have thin lines and they move through the frame slowly the anti-aliasing on the edges will cause both line thickness shifts and line color shifts as you try to make 1 pixel fill 2 pixels. The only way around that is to hide it with motion blur or make sure that your artwork moves exactly whole pixel values between frames. This problem is not unique to AE, it's unique to any pixel based system. A black line 1 pixel (or point in AI) placed exactly centered between 2 pixels is going to interpreted as either a 2 pixel black line with anti-ailiasing off or a 2 pixel gray line with anti-ailiasing on as the pixel values are re-sampled. There is no way to center a single pixel anywhere on the grid but exactly on the grid without some interpretation taking place.