12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 3:45 PM by Steve Grisetti

film look

mich1942

What is the film look? Will help my video look more professional?

• 1. Re: film look
          the_wine_snob Level 9

"Film Look" is many things, but most discussions will start with 24 FPS shooting.

Then, there is lighting, the lens involved, and more.

This discussion, though it wanders a bit, will give you some tips: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4650203

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: film look
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do a "regular" test DVD and a "film look" DVD and see which YOU like better

• 3. Re: film look
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mich1942

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Just not to take anything for granted....

By the "film look", are you referring to the vidoe-look that some try to achieve with 24p? Or, are you referring to Premiere Elements fx Effects/Film Looks?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: film look
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Or are you referring to the FilmLooks in the Video Effects?

If so, you can find out more information about FilmLooks by following the link in the tutorial on the left side of this page.

http://muvipix.com/pe12.php

• 5. Re: film look
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mich1942

Like me, SG, seems to think that you might be referring to the Premiere Elements 11 or 12 fx Effects (See my post "3" already in this thread.)

If we are correct, then you might want to check out also item 0002 in my Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries  blog post. It goes into the Film Looks offering in deepth details.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-daily-discoveries.html

If you are really after the 24p cinema look, all these references to these fx effects may make your curious about them.

Looing forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: film look
                    mich1942 Level 1

Steve,

basically, I want my video that I produce in PRE12 to look professionally. I know that I am using a good program for the semi-professional but I also want my work to look professionally done. So that why I am trying to fine out what I need to accomplish that task. I am using Windows Seven, I7-3770 3.4 GHZ CPU with four GB of RAM.

• 7. Re: film look
                      mich1942 Level 1

I am using PRE 12. Using the effects/ film look.

• 8. Re: film look

So you're not talking about the FilmLooks special effect? Or are you? I'm confused. In your first response, you just say you want your work to look "professionally done".

Meantime, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Using a good, quality camcorder is the key to having a high-quality, professionally done video.

• 9. Re: film look
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's question, regarding your video camera, will it allow you to shoot in 24p?

Thanks for that info,

Hunt

• 10. Re: film look
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

mich1942

Thanks for the follow up.

I am understanding your plan to be getting the best possible professional looking movie created, not necessarily in a cinema sense.....professional in the sense that you have clear images, no jerky motion or camera shake, good scene organization, effective titles when needed, transitions that enhance the movement from clip to clip and do not seem forced, etc.

Best possible and professional does not always come from bells and whistles. An Adobe fx Effect/Film Look does not make your video more or less professional. Often subtle handling of scene choices and transitions can product the look you seek. I find that when I am creating a movie for a special reason, I do have a general plan (theme), but I am not governed by it. Often my most effective and creative work surfaces within the opened project when I am going with the flow of the basic editing techniques.

Does any of the help or did I miss the target.

Please let us know if you need clarification on anything that I have written and/or misinterpreted.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I would not necessarily get sweeped into the 24p look.

• 11. Re: film look
                              mich1942 Level 1

Yes, you were very helpful. Thank you. I am looking create videos that are clear, no camera shake or jerky motion..But not being a professional I have problem with having good source material to work with. I am trying to find a way to fix some ot the problems that I am having with the video such as camera shake,etc.Is there a way to fix some of these problems in post-production? I want to thank you for your clear and concise feedback.

• 12. Re: film look

Have you tried Smart Fix?

I'm sorry. It's hard to get more specific without your providing some of the specifics we've asked for.