8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2013 1:47 AM by Krasney1

Building a new PC - transferring CS6

Krasney1

Hi,

I have been in a world of PC pain for several months. I am about to build a new PC. I will be starting from scratch to ensure I dont transfer any gremlins from the old box. What do I need to do in advance to ensure I have no problems using PS CS6 and Lightroom 5 on the new machine?

Thanks in advance.

David

• 1. Re: Building a new PC - transferring CS6
          Curt Y Level 7

I would recommend Win 7.  Then download the programs from your Adobe account.

• 2. Re: Building a new PC - transferring CS6
            Krasney1 Level 1

Thanks Curt. I am already using Windows 8 and I like it :-)

• 3. Re: Building a new PC - transferring CS6
              Curt Y Level 7

Win 8 has is a downgrade from 7 and for many video driver the screen blinks in anything but basic mode.  A known problem that MS has not fixed.

• 4. Re: Building a new PC - transferring CS6
                Krasney1 Level 1

Thanks again Curt. The screen works fine for me but the PC just stops L I can keep it going sometimes for 4 hours. Other times it wont start at all. It will not restart. I have to turn the power off. My issues are hardware and I have that under control. The components for my new machine are in the lounge room. But my real question is about Abobe licensing.  What do I need to do before I trash this machine to ensure I can use my Adobe software on the new machine?

Cheers

David

• 5. Re: Building a new PC - transferring CS6
                  Curt Y Level 7

Make sure you click on Help/deactivate.  It you do not deactivate it will be considered  activated even though computer trashed.  You are only allowed 2 activated copies.

• 6. Re: Building a new PC - transferring CS6
                    Krasney1 Level 1

Thanks Curt.  That was exactly what I wanted to know.

Cheers

David

• 7. Re: Building a new PC - transferring CS6
                      RobertoBlake Level 2

In your new PC build I recommend that you get Kingston SSD drives for the scratch disk and set them at Raid 0. Kingston SSD's at 128GB run $80 which is $40 cheaper than Samsung. I would also say get SSDs for the Application and OS Layers so 4 SDDs total and use 2X 3TB HDD for your Data/Storage Layer.

I actually did a video on some things to consider when buying or building a Photoshop/Graphic Design Computer.
                      http://youtu.be/BypkjzYFfRg

The reason I recommend a 6 Drive configuration is that you are giving each layer its own internal bandwidth. If you think of data as lanes of traffic that cars have to travel on it makes a certain amount of sense, (geeks know this as I/O) so when your OS needs to handle something, its data has its own lane with nothing else on the road, when the applications need to read or write anything, they've got their own road too and the scratch disk is the off ramp or all temporary data created during the work session, and when you need to save/export files they have their own lane as well. You can also use the scratch disk space for paging memory and VRam.

Not to mention the failure of any single drive will not be catastrophic at all. In fact you can store a secondary operating system like Ubuntu on each drive so that there is not a likely condition under which the computer isn't bootable, usable and only a few minutes away from being back to its old self.

• 8. Re: Building a new PC - transferring CS6
                        Krasney1 Level 1

Great advice Robert. I went a bit further and bought a 750GB ssd. It works amazingly. I have never seen a PC start so quickly.

Cheers

David