I've searched around and not much luck so far but i have worked out where the breaking point is...
A particular paragraph style (in a style group) that is only in one document (the last one of about 35), on one line, as i created it to show up in the ToC. So when i go to generate the Table of Contents without it everything works fine. When i got to generate it with it inDesign crashes (i'm on PC).
I've tried turing off PDF bookmarks and the linking/ancoring thingy to the souce but that didn't help.
Any suggests would be really helpful. Thanks is advance
First ting I would do is export that file to .idml ( see Remove minor corruption by exporting).
If that doesn't solve it, try rebuilding the paragraph style (delete it, retaining formatting for affected text, and shoose no paragraph style as the replacement, then create the style again and assign it to the target text). Try changing th style name for good measure, too.