7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2013 1:10 AM by dmtetard

Set image colour settings for multiple images

dmtetard Level 1

In my workflow I place (Adobe)RGB images into InDesign. PDF export takes care of the RGB to CMYK conversion (convert to destination with preserve numbers).

However this uses the default rendering intent for every conversion: relative colorimetric.

For images, i want to use perceptual.

Is there a way to quickly select all images and change the rendering intent?

All the images have the same ojbect style. Unfortunately i could not find a way to couple the rendering intent to the object style.

• 1. Re: Set image colour settings for multiple images
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

However this uses the default rendering intent for every conversion: relative colorimetric.

Are you also using RGB swatches and color in the document? Why not set the intent to perceptual in Color Settings?

• 2. Re: Set image colour settings for multiple images
            dmtetard Level 1

Good question.

RGB swatches not really (it happens occasionaly), but there are many PDF's placed which contain RGB vector artwork. Therefor i don't want to change the global rendering intent.

It's for a magazine layout btw. Approx 60 pages, with 50 to 100 images in total. It's doable to select and change every image, but not very efficient.

• 3. Re: Set image colour settings for multiple images

You can do it it via Assign Profiles...

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 8.56.12 AM.png

It can also be scripted, something like this AppleScript:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

tell active document

set imgs to all graphics

repeat with x from 1 to count imgs

if class of item x of imgs is image then

try

set image rendering intent of item x of imgs to perceptual

end try

end if

end repeat

end tell

end tell

• 4. Re: Set image colour settings for multiple images

The InDesign UI implies that perceptual should be used for images—Rendering Intent: Perceptual (Images), but I'm not sure that's the case—I almost always use relative.

The intent is just a strategy for bringing out-of-gamut colors into the destination space, so if an image is way out-of-gamut and has some subtle tonality then perceptual might be preferable because it will distribute the out-of-gamut color more evenly, sacrificing optimal saturation for tonality. But I find those kinds of photographic images are somewhat rare. For images that are just slightly out, which is more common, relative will do a better job maintaining saturation and tonality won't be a problem because the colors that are out don't have as far to move.

• 5. Re: Set image colour settings for multiple images
                  dmtetard Level 1

Thanks, I didn't knew that setting! I prefer it over the applescript.

I know there are some discussions about which rendering intent to use.

Mostly relative colorimetric gives me good results. However in my experience, perceptual tends to give noticable better results on uncoated and newspaper. The magazine is on uncoated paper.

Btw, i notice the settings do not have any effect on RGB pictures in placed PDFs. Is there a way to do that?

• 6. Re: Set image colour settings for multiple images

Btw, i notice the settings do not have any effect on RGB pictures in placed PDFs. Is there a way to do that?

Don't think so, you could convert the PDF RGB images in Acrobat, but you would want to be careful that you don't get an additional CMYK-to-CMYK conversion at the final export. It's hard to beleive anything awful would happen if you let vector RGB convert via perceptual.

• 7. Re: Set image colour settings for multiple images
                      dmtetard Level 1

Actually i seem to be wrong. InDesign does use the rendering intent specified in the source file!

My workflow for magazine layout is as follows:

1. Every publicity is a seperate indd. I keep all images as RGB and set the rendering intent in InDesign. The publicity is saved as a PDF/X-4, which keeps RGB.

2. Place all publicity PDFs and images (RGB again with rendering intent set into InDesign) into the magazine layout. Export the magazine as PDF/X-1, which does convert everything to CMYK. And the great part: the rendering intent set into the publicity source indd, is respected!