3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 6:36 AM by Peter Spier

Keep/break options with character styles

Spenno

Hi there.

Is there any way for a character style within InDesign to force a break into the next frame?

With a paragraph style I could do this with a keep option or GREP but character styles don't have these two options.

Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Keep/break options with character styles
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Character styles can only change the formatting.

If you explain more about waht you are doing we might be able to make some suggestions.

• 2. Re: Keep/break options with character styles
            Spenno Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

I am part of a poetry/story book publisher, up until now the company has relied on hard copies of these stories/poems arriving by post & manually being typed into Incopy/Indesign.

The Company has recently developed a new bespoke database, the database is browser based and users can now type up their poems/stories online, we then export these as xml and import into indesign which works fairly well. We have the tags mapped to styles etc. We would now like to offer the user the option of being able to left align/center their poems, at the moment we have a tag for each paragraph style In indesign. For example: PoemTitleCenter, BodyTextCenter, AuthorCenter, SchoolnameCenter, PoemTitleLeft, BodyTextLeft, AuthorCenter, SchoolnameCenter. This does work but we have to create a lot of tags, and they have to be implimeted to every element of every poem. What I have tried is Having having a PoemCenter Paragraph style which centers all of the child elements and then apply the styles via character styles, this way I only need a choice of two tags to centralise/Left align. This does work, but... I need each poem/story to start in it's own frame normaly controlled by keep options, but because this is now a parent element every child element that is a character style starts in a new frame!!

I hope this makes sense

• 3. Re: Keep/break options with character styles
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'll admit to being a little lost. Does the "next style" attribute help at all?

I'm completely ignorant of XML.