7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 7:40 PM by leo0021

Import Clip From DVD

wcn_dave Level 1

I have been trying for a couple of days to take a clip from a DVD and insert it into PE11.

I can't believe it's so incredibly hard, so I hope someone can help me.

First i use DVD Shrink to extract just the portion I want to the normal VIDEO_TS folder structure.  This plays perfecty in AVS, WMP, VLC etc.

I then convert this (mostly using DVDFab), to AVI, WMP, MP4, with AC3, MP3, all kinds of audio.

ALL of them play in all my players.  Some of them play in PE when dbl clicking the media in assets.

NONE of them play the speech audio when rendered and played after adding to timeline.

There is background music, however no speech at all.

It's incredibly frustrating as I have tried every codec combination I can think of, all play with normal players, and none can be used in PE11.

what am i doing wrong!

Thanks

Dave    

• 1. Re: Import Clip From DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Most likely in using third-party ripping tools and converting your files you are making them less rather than more compatible. Making a file compatible for playback is very different than making a file compatible for editing.

I recommend you use to tools built into Premiere Elements to rip the files from your disc. Put the DVD in your disc drive and then use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From PC DVD to rip the files from the disc to your computer.

Of course this will only work with home-burned DVDs. Commericially produced DVDs usually include copy protection which will block you from using them as an editing source.

• 2. Re: Import Clip From DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

I would second SG's suggestion to use Premiere Elements 11 Add Media/...../Video Importer for ripping those VOB video files from the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you have. Should work fine. Just watch out for the save location and set up different save folders for ripping for different DVD discs.

But, if you should run into any quality or out of sync audio problems even with that, then you might want to consider using the Command Prompt method to obtain the DVD.VOD (seamless VOBs) and then importing the DVD.VOB into the Premiere Elements 11 project with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders. This worked for a Premiere Elements user recently as written up in a thread here.

You should not need it, but, just in case, here is the link to the how to for the Command Prompt method.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe-dvd-videoseamless-vob-ripping.html

Please update SG on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Import Clip From DVD
              pgauba Adobe Employee

You can use Add Media-Video Importer for ripping those VOB files.

• 4. Re: Import Clip From DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hi pgauba

Since the Add Media-Video Importer has already been suggested, I thought perhaps the route was not made clear enough previously.

So, I am including this screenshot in case there is any misunderstanding on what has already been suggested.

VideoImporter.JPG

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Import Clip From DVD
                  wcn_dave Level 1

Thanks for the ideas.

My DVDs are saved as ISO files, so I have to mount them first for this to work.

I then clicked on preview for the first vob, and it goes through a conforming process.  After this is done the preview plays with music, but again, no dialogue...

It's exactly the same as dragging the VOB using any other converter to the media panel.

I tried this using AVS Video Editor and had no problems.

I have read lots about how PE is a "professional" tool for video editing from "proper" sources and not meant for those just hacking together Youtube videos, but I got it because I wanted to do better youtube videos, and was frustrated by the limitations of AVS.

However the limitations of PE are far more obvious.

I dragged this file into AVS, it offered to set the video frame size to match my first import, and then everything worked perfectly.

In PE, I cannot do a 720x552 video, and it wont allow me to use the majority of file formats I have.

As it happens I am trying to get a few 5 second clips from a commerical DVD for a comedy montage I am making for a friends wedding anniversary.

I am sure that if you only work with DV camera sources, that this is great, however I am taking clips from my phone, old cameras, vhs, old computer files, dvds, home camcorder, youtube, cinefilm (I have about 200 hours of that) and other places, and usually trying to mix them together to produce polished results, and PE ist just sooo hard to get this to work.  It really is very frustrating for what I thought was going to be a "better" product from a reputable company.  I love photoshop, better than any other product out there, however PE really seems to be the wrong tool, which is a shame...

Back to using AVS

• 6. Re: Import Clip From DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

wcn_dave

Sorry, up to your last post I was envisioning your issues to center mostly around the classical ripping of VOBs from the DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc.

That is an interesting switch, disc image iso format, in this mix. Never been there and done that, so I did. I have the Phantom Burner installed which allows me to "burn to a virtual disc" in this "virtual burner" to produce a disc image for the Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc.

After I mount the disc image iso into the Phantom Burner, I can go to Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer Drive/Video Importer, set the Source for the Phantom Burner drive, and bring the disc image into the Video Importer as VTS_01_1.VOB which can be brought into the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, using the Video Importer's Get Media.

If you got beyond that, I am not seeing the other problems that you say stop you from going further.

You wrote

In PE, I cannot do a 720x552 video, and it wont allow me to use the majority of file formats I have.

As it happens I am trying to get a few 5 second clips from a commerical DVD for a comedy montage I am making for a friends wedding anniversary.

If your VOBs are coming from a PAL DVD-VIDEO 4:3 source, what I suggest you look at is:

Open a new project

Go to File Menu/New/Project

In the new project dialog, set the project preset for PAL DV Standard.

Before you exit the new project dialog, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project".

Then, when you are back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, bring in your VOBs via Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer (with a check mark next to Add to Timeline...make sure you have the Save In set up correctly so that you do not get into an "already imported" type message (cannot save VOB with same name to same place...more on that if necessary).

If your VOBs are coming from a PAL DVD-VIDEO 16:9 widescreen, do the same but use the project preset PAL DV Widescreen.

As a reminder, the frame size for PAL DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen is the same 720 x 576.

Please review what I have written and let us know if any of the above helped and/or you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Import Clip From DVD
                      leo0021

You have used DVD Shrink to extract just the portion I want to the normal VIDEO_TS folder structure and convert this (mostly using DVDFab), to AVI, WMP, MP4, with AC3, MP3, all kinds of audio? Well, you had better not extract just the portion I want to the normal VIDEO_TS folder structure and convert this (mostly using DVDFab), to AVI, WMP, MP4, with AC3, MP3, all kinds of audio respectively. Use a all in one program that can rip and convert your DVD to MP4, AVI, WMP with AC3, MP3 in one process. That's all!