8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2013 3:06 PM by Jim_Simon

Bins and Timeline -newbe questions

lightpost1

Hello all, I'm moving away from Final Cut Pro 7, and realizing the power and usefullness of PP-CC.

Here are some things I just dont get yet, please someone help me!!

1) I've synced dailes part manually, and part with Pluraleyes (yeah the software needs help).  With single camera edits, I have to have a merged clip?  Or is there nice way to for PP to just get this is a synced clip, as would linking clips in FCP7?

2) If I edit a bunch of clips in a sequence, then want to move them back to a (saved) bin, sometimes it works, sometimes PP wont let me.  Also PP seems to think it's 2 clips now; 1 was the original clip, and now with a second.  Doesn't PP think it just has 1 clip to base both bin placements?

3) If I import a timeline or bin from another project, PP adds the clips nicely, however if I have the same material content already in my project, PP doesn't understand it already may have that media in it's project bins.  Is this correct?

4) IMPORTANT: If Ihave a clip in a timline, how can I see the SOURCE timecode of that edit?

5) Matchback (F) from the sequnce sometimes has the correct edit in the SourceViewer, and sometimes doesn't?  Multicam and Merged clips seem to have a tough time with that.

6) IMPORTANT: Placing markers in a timeline are forever stationary in sequence.  If I add or delete the footage, moving my edits down the timeline, the markers don't move along with them... This kind of ruins the use of markers in a timeline.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: Bins and Timeline -newbe questions
          Jim_Simon Level 8

1. In order to see the separately recorded video and audio as one clip and behave in all parts of PP as a single clip, then yes it needs to be a Merged clip.

2. Not sure what you're doing here.  The typical work flow is from the bin to the sequence, not the other way around.

3. If you import an entire project, PP will duplicate media.  If you import only a sequence, PP will only bring in whatever media is missing.  Not sure what happens with bins.

4. For a normal clip, F is the default Match Frame command, which opens that clip in the Source Monitor on that frame.  There you can see the timecode.  However, there are currently issues with Match Frame and Merged clips.

5. See 4.

6. You're placing Sequence Markers, and they're behaving as designed.  You can add Clip Markers to media in the Source Monitor.

• 2. Re: Bins and Timeline -newbe questions
            lightpost1 Level 1

Thanks for the response Jim.

"2. Not sure what you're doing here.  The typical work flow is from the bin to the sequence, not the other way around."

Sometimes you want to grab an edit from a seqence, and store it back into a bin.  (This isn't a new idea)

in FCP you can take a whole movie from a sequence and place it in a bin, organize it, search the file names, timecodes.. etc.

You can't seem to grab more than one clip in a seqence either.  It's just 1 clip at a time to put back into a bin.

4) You can hover ove a clip and PP show the sequence timecode... this is useless.  I want to see the timecode of the source without having to matchback ever edit.  Any thoughts?

6) If I matchback an edit to place a marker, I have to edit the clip back in the sequence?

-Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Bins and Timeline -newbe questions
              Jim_Simon Level 8

in FCP you can take a whole movie from a sequence and place it in a bin, organize it, search the file names, timecodes.. etc.

Well...you're working with Premiere Pro now.  And I'm still unclear of the purpose of doing so.  Like I said, the normal work flow is from bin to sequence.  What's the point of putting it back in the bin?  If you don't want it in the sequence, just delete it.

• 4. Re: Bins and Timeline -newbe questions
                Jim_Simon Level 8

4. You could probably use the Timecode effect.  Or, wait until the October update finally hits.  It will offer what you want with the new Monitor Overlay feature.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-ibc-2013/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-streamline-editing/

6. No.  The marker just shows up.  (Again, strange things sometimes happen with Merged Clips.)

• 5. Re: Bins and Timeline -newbe questions
                  lightpost1 Level 1

Jim, I consider myself a power user, Jedi master of FCP, now just a mear padawan of Premiere.  There are many, many reasons to "refile" a clip.  Here's one... "saved clips."  You don't want to delete it, and you don't want to loose it.

4) Metadata just doesn't work with Merged Clips.  Yeah, I have merged clips because I synced with Pluraleyes, or had to manually place shots on a timeline to sync them.  Most of my show does not display In points or Outpoints in metadata.  It's just hard to review your edit with timecoded notes.

Thanks for the heads-up about the update.  Looking forward to it.

• 6. Re: Bins and Timeline -newbe questions
                    lightpost1 Level 1

Watched the video looks like 2 issues will be solved in the next release:

(source timecode viewing in an overlay)

and

(ripple move of markers in a timeline)

-Thanks all

• 7. Re: Bins and Timeline -newbe questions
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

There are differing opinions on the value of taking clips fromn the timeline and putting them into the bins. I am one who thinks it would save a lot of time and trouble.

There are things I do to clips that I like to save. Right now, I copy them to a new sequence, name the new sequence appropriately, and then I use the sequence like a clip. It is a workaround, but as the word indicates, it works. I can import the sequences into a new project, so it works pretty well.

I would prefer to be able to drag a clip from the timeline to the bin, using a modifier key to either "move" or "copy".

Put in a feature request here:  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 8. Re: Bins and Timeline -newbe questions
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

There are many, many reasons to "refile" a clip.  Here's one... "saved clips."  You don't want to delete it, and you don't want to loose it.

But...it's already in the bin.  Deleting it from the sequence doesn't delete it from the bin, so there's no need to add it to the bin, 'cause it's already there.  You won't 'lose it' by deleting it from the sequence.

It's very simple to just add it back somewhere else if need be.