6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2013 6:04 AM by stewart tower

Color plugin

stewart tower Level 1

I have several objects each filled with a different spot color. Is there a plugin that will allow me to select all the objects at once and make universal color adjustments, such as adding black?

IDCS 4

OS 10.6.8

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Color plugin
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

such as adding black?

Do you mean like a color correction? You can't color correct spot colors they output as a single plate—there's not a black component

• 2. Re: Color plugin
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I suspect the OP is thinking about mixed ink swatches. I would think a

script could look for spot inks and create a new mixed ink swatch by

adding a percentage of black to each.

• 3. Re: Color plugin
              stewart tower Level 1

Yes, I'm referring to a selection of process color swatches.

Example: I select 5 boxes, each filled with a different swatch color and I want to make a change to all the colors. I might want to add more black, subtract some cyan or saturate them (similar to Photoshop color adjustments).

I could edit each swatch but I don't want them the change throughout the document, just those 5 selected items.

I know I can create new swatches for these elements but I started to wonder if there might a way to apply a common edit to a group of items.

• 4. Re: Color plugin
                Was DYP Level 3

stewart tower wrote:

Yes, I'm referring to a selection of process color swatches.

Example: I select 5 boxes, each filled with a different swatch color and I want to make a change to all the colors. I might want to add more black, subtract some cyan or saturate them (similar to Photoshop color adjustments).

I could edit each swatch but I don't want them the change throughout the document, just those 5 selected items.

I know I can create new swatches for these elements but I started to wonder if there might a way to apply a common edit to a group of items.

Okay, now your talking about process color.

Make copies of those 5 and adjust/edit them however you want them. You can make the same exact adjustment to all of them. You'll have to print a proof to be able to see what effect your edits will have on those colors.

• 5. Re: Color plugin
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Your original post specifically said spot colors.

And no, there is no way I know of to select them all and do the same

adjustment at the same time without affecting the other objects with those

swatches assigned. That said, there may be a scripting method.

If this is a one off, then select each object individually and choose new

color swatch from the swatches panel. The new swatch sliders will start out

with the current mix and will automatically be assigned to the object when

you save it.

• 6. Re: Color plugin
                    stewart tower Level 1

I should have said "swatch"; my bad.

I guess I was kind of wondering out loud if there was such a tool out there. Nothing showed up after an online search so I thought I woud check here. Maybe the discussion will but a bug in someone's ear to create a plug in.

Thanks for the feed back.