8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2013 2:56 PM by Monika Gause RSS

Font replace by boxes

peter.p

I'm asking this on behalf of my marketing department so please excuse my wording.

Basically what is happening is they will create this file in illustrator and then print to pdf, when it gets opened in acrobat it is fine. But when you open the same pdf in illustrator it get rotated and the font is replaced by these crossboxes. It happens from time to time more so I'm told on bigger files.  But does not happen when she saves to pdf.

Capture.JPG

I'm not very knowledge about illustrator so I'm not even sure where to start to try and find a solution, so hopefully someone can help me.

• 1. Re: Font replace by boxes
          Monika Gause MVP

PDF is not meant for editing and you need not print to PDF either. Just save as PDF and check "Illustrator editability" (or similar, I don't know the exact wording). Then in Illustrator you edit the AI and in Acrobat you open the PDF. Both are in one file.

• 2. Re: Font replace by boxes
            peter.p Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply, part of the reason it gets printed to PDF is to shrink the file size down to kb rather then megs. So once the file is all done and created she will print to pdf so she can then send it out.

• 3. Re: Font replace by boxes
              Monika Gause MVP

Then keep the original AI file and use that for editing purposes.

PDF was never meant for editing.

• 4. Re: Font replace by boxes
                Mike Gondek2 MVP

What font did they use? ASk them to try changing the font.

I had this problem with a customer supplied powerpoint document, that I had to convert to Illustrator. Turned out to be they used one of the fonts that is not meant for print, think it was Calibri.

• 5. Re: Font replace by boxes
                  Steve Fairbairn Community Member

I have seen this sort of thing happen before. Everything looked o.k. until you opened it in Illustrator.

It turned out that the cause was a dud font.

No-one really seems to know why certain fonts sometimes don’t behave, but get rid of the font and you will most likely get rid of the problem.

• 6. Re: Font replace by boxes
                    peter.p Community Member

Thanks Steve I'll get them to try that not sure if they already have.  Thank you Monkia I do understand that pdf is not meant for editing, but once they finish the file they print it to a pdf form so they can shrink the file size down if they save it to a pdf it is still a large file size so sending it through email isn't really possible.  They always keep the AI file so they can still make changes should the client want it, unless your meaning that pdf is not meant for editing even in illustrator so don't open it in illustrator to look at.  I know they don't edit it in pdf form, it is more for final checks to make sure it all looks okay before they send it out.

• 7. Re: Font replace by boxes
                      peter.p Community Member

okay so I took your advice and told them to not print to pdf but to save to pdf. But that doesn't resolve the problem of the file size in the end.  So one the file is done and in pdf format it is much too large 100+ meg. 

So how can we shrink it down even further without printing to pdf?  We did try take the pdf and printing to pdf and it did shrink it down but again when the new smaller pdf is opened in illustrator the text is replaced and the image is rotated....I guess the answer would be to not open it in illustrator to look at it but rather acrobat?

• 8. Re: Font replace by boxes
                        Monika Gause MVP

If you want to check a PDF, do that in Adobe Acrobat (not Reader). That's what Acrobat is for.