18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 11:08 AM by A.T. Romano

Photos into Premiere Elements

hemacgre

I am creating a short video of photos and video clips. The photos are high quality but when viewed as video they go all pixelated and unfocused. If I stop and look at photos individually they are fine.

• 1. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 2. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
            A.T. Romano Level 7

hemacgre

We need more information to be able to help you.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running on?

What are the properties of your source media...video (video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, interlaced or progressive, how many, duration); photos (pixel dimensions and how many)?

A MediaInfo video properties readout would go a long way to helping us in this matter.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

(Assuming Windows 7 or 8 64 bit for now.)

What are you or the program setting as the project preset?

And to get it out of the way, I will ask the usual drill questions:

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

2. Are you running Premiere Elements as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

3. Is your video card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT. If you are using Premiere Elements 10 and have a NVIDIA video card, what is the name of the card and what version of the driver are you using? If this is a factor, a roll back of the current video card driver may be in order to resolve some of these issues.

Please review the above and remember that the answers will be in the details.

Thanks.

ATR

What is the duration of the total project?

Can this issue be classed as "never worked before" or "worked before but not now"?

A description of your computer resources would be helpful and appropriate.

• 3. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
              hemacgre Level 1

It is Adobe Premiere Elemnts 10 and I am a newbie to this program. Came from Pinnacle where I have created videos of stills with music background easily in past. Did not have to change quality of stills. So how can I easily correct this problem step by step? Thanks for suggestions so far but bit beyond me at this stage:))

• 4. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                hemacgre Level 1

total project is under 10 minutes with photos and two short video clips and music.

Computer is Dell Optiplex 9010, i7-3770 cpu Windows 7. Nvidea card

• 5. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

hemacgre

What is the full name of the NVIDIA video card that you are using in Premiere Elements 10.

And what is the information on the version number and date of what you already have.

You may be one of the recent many who are experiencing NVIDIA video card issues.

Are you able to gather that information? If not, I will suggest places in your computer where you should be able to find that information.

This is important since that video card driver may be the cause of this issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

hemacgre

Check out Device Manager/Display Adapters/name of your video card

and/or

System Information/Components/Display

ATR

• 7. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                      hemacgre Level 1

NVIDIA GeForce GT640

• 8. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                        hemacgre Level 1

i updated driver for video card. It said it updated successfully but then this error message appeared and adobe etc shut down. " The Nivida open GL driver detected a problem with display driver and is unable to continue. Application must close."

• 9. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

hemacgre

Many Premiere Elements 10 users with NVIDIA video cards are reporting display problems which are not corrected by the latest video card driver. To the contrary, the answer (for now) seems to be rolling back the driver version.

Please take a look at the following thread which includes by summary of the recent reports.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5765417#5765417

Please review and consider if rolling back the NVIDIA video card driver version will work for you.

Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                            hemacgre Level 1

I was wondering why in Pinnacle I can import these same photos and it works but in Adobe Premiere Element sthe photos go pixelated when running video? Does Pinnacle automatically compress the photos?

• 11. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

hemacgre

I have never used Pnnacle so I cannot comment on its workflow.

But, I can tell you that for Premiere Elements

You need to set a project preset to match the properties of your source media. That project preset directs the program to set a space in the Edit Mode monitor so that your video will fit that space when the monitor Magnification is on "Fit". And, with the preferences set for "Default Scale to Frame Size", all that should be the case. If indicated, scaling opportunities for the video are available at the monitor or at the Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded, Scale property level.

To avoid photos oversized for the project crashing the project, the classical recommendations have included for those photos - SD project, not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels and HD project, not to exceed 2200 x 1238 pixels. But, with later versions and greater computer resources (64 bit application in 64 bit system), it has been found that many can stretch those recommendations. But, when problems develop, back to the classical recommendations.

Another angle on this could be the situation of photos and video in a project. Given that you can set only one project preset as decribed above. Let us say that your video is 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. And your photos are 720 x 480 pixels. If you set your project preset to get the best for the video, NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30, you will be bringing your 720 x 480 photos into a project set for 1920 x 1080. If you go for individual photos (rather than a collage in a frame) and you want the photos to go full frame, you are most likely to get pixelation scaling  from 720 x 480 to 1920 x 1080. And, there would be other considerations if you are bringing 4:3 photos into a 16:9 project.

Important. I still want to make sure that all or part of your issues are not caught up in this latest wave of Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card drivers issues. Have you actually rolled back the driver version for your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 640 and seen or not seen any impact on your issue?

Please review and then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements

>wondering why

Since you are not having a crash, did you click and read at the first two links I posted back in reply #1 ???

• 13. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                                  hemacgre Level 1

yes i did. I rolled back the driver and right now compressing all the photos to get to dimensions Marino suggested . will let you know if this works:)) Thanks so much you guys. Here is hoping.

• 14. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

hemacgre

If you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit, you should do OK in the computer resource area.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 15. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                                      hemacgre Level 1

I just compressed the photos to 1024x683 - did this just in MS office as I do not have photoshop so not many options for compression size. looks good so far now these imported. No pixelation when I run video. Now to add transtions, titles and a few vido clips Keep fingers crossed as I am new to Elements (used Pinnacle for 10 yrs).

• 16. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

hemacgre

Thanks for the update.

I am thinking a lot of positive thoughts on this.

ATR

• 17. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements

I think http://www.irfanview.com/ will do batch resizing... and it is free

• 18. Re: Photos into Premiere Elements
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Decision to be made if going from 4:3 to 4:3 or 4:3 to 16:9 or 16:9 to 4:3....to crop/resize or resize?

Irfanview will do batch cropping and resizing. Alternative might be Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Photoshop Elements Full Editor will just do batch resizing.

ATR

Add On...I suspect that Microsoft Office Picture Manager is the easier to work with to get the look wanted.