3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 3:23 PM by needles27

How do I (without a greenscreen) add a background to a video?

rex48

So in school they gave us a project about making a TV or video advertisement. My group and me already have an idea. A person is in a famous city and drinks some Coke and then throws it out of the screen. Then, another person on another city catches it and drinks. This happens 4 times including the first one. But, we don´t have a green screen or any way to get one. How can we do the same kind of effect? Can I use another color? What other programs can I use? Basically have someone acting with a photo as a background in a video. Please help.

• 1. Re: How do I (without a greenscreen) add a background to a video?
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

If you have a local fabric/sewing store, get a large piece of green cloth. I've used that in the past with decent results. It's gotta have that bright, neon "chroma green" look though, not just any green. Not a proper substitute for the real thing, but can work on a budget.

Thanks

Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I (without a greenscreen) add a background to a video?
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You can basically use any color that is not seen in the clothing, skin or eyes of the person. Otherwise you have to use a matte to block anything that you don't want keyed out.

Depending on where you live and the time of day and the weather, if you can find a hilltop or have a way to shoot a person standing on something (like a picnic table) in front of a bright blue sky, that makes a great, easy to key out, backdrop.

Or visit a fabric store for something green. You can key out a white background but you have to work with mattes to prevent problems with their eyes.

Edit:  What city are you in. Maybe someone around here can help you out. For example, if you were in the San Francisco Bay area, I could loan you a green screen.

Also, don't forget you have to properly light a green screen. That is why a blue sky works so well. You just can't have any clouds in the sky.

• 3. Re: How do I (without a greenscreen) add a background to a video?
              needles27 Level 3

Or learn the rotoscope tool in After Effects...but a proper green screen would be easier.

1 person found this helpful