23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 1:43 PM by justacrazywoman

Weird invisable indent/tab

justacrazywoman

Dear anyone,

Does anyone else have a problem with a weird "space" that makes your text indent to the right? Like, no matter how much you move your text box around, the "space" stays in the same spot and your words just flow around it (like text wrap). See screen shot below.

I thought I had fixed it before. I discovered if you selected the text box and move it to a new layer and then arrowed the text box one space (in any direction) the text would snap back into place. Or also, if you selected all the text and then played around with the "span columns" it would snap back into place. But sadly neither of these are working now.

And this problem happens randomly. A document could be just fine and then suddenly this happens. Wierd! Any help is appreciated because I'm tired of having to start all over.

Thank you!

Becca Tally

Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 8.27.31 AM.png

• 1. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does it only indent to the end of the current paragraph? You might accidentally be pressing the key combo to insert an "indent to here" character.

• 2. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
            justacrazywoman Level 1

No, it indents anywhere in the paragraph. I don't think it has anything to do with the actual text. If you move the text around, the invisible space stays there and the text flows around it. Like a text wrap, but there's nothing there. And it happens randomly. It's not just me, it happens with several of my co-workers, too.

• 3. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab

Can you show us a screen shot with non-printing characters visible, please?

• 4. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                justacrazywoman Level 1

Here is a video and another screen shot.

Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 9.03.11 AM.png

• 5. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab

Have you verified that there is no other frame that is hidden? Nothing on the master page there?

If there really is nothing there, try exporting to .idml. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 6. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab

Thinking some more...

This happens randomly on multiple files? Does it show up on frames you haven't moved? Does it ever happen when a file is opened, before you begin doing any other work on it?

Any third-party plugins installed in ID, including a font activatin plugin?

• 7. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                      justacrazywoman Level 1

There is nothing on the master besides page numbers at the bottom. Nothing hidden or locked. So strange. It started doing it with version 5 and so I was hoping CC would fix the bug. Guess not!

Good idea to save as .idml. So, I tried it and reopened it in CC and it's still there. And so then I tried opening the .idml in version 5 and it's still there.

Any other ideas?

• 8. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                        justacrazywoman Level 1

Yes, this happens on random files that aren't in any way connected with each other. And with different people on different computers. They are on the same servers though.

Yes, it will happen on text boxes that haven't been moved. I literally will place the text box and it will look fine, and then the next second there is that weird space.

No third-party plug-ins. We don't have administrative permission to install plug-ins on our individual computers.

I'm stumped!

• 9. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab

No font manager?

This really sounds like some sort of conflict/configuration issue.

• 10. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                            justacrazywoman Level 1

We use Universal Type Client. I turned it off and checked the document, and the issue is still there. Any idea who I should ask next? Is a conflict/configuration issue on our side or is it an Adobe thing?

Thank you for all your help. I wish someone else would chime in with the perfect solution

• 11. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                              Tom Usrey 2 Level 1

Maybe someone else in the forum could take a look at a "sample" file that is misbehaving; you can post it to something like DropBox and put a link here.

• 12. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                                justacrazywoman Level 1

Great idea. Maybe it doesn't do it on another person's computer. I've included a screen shot, too.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2l121p1h4sj15wm/NU9GZ1jt1n

Folder includes:

• ISSUE.idml
                                • ISSUE.indd
                                • Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 10.41.32 AM
                                • 13. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                                  SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a cirlce on the master page with text wrap applied. It is turned off for visibiity, but the text warp is still in force. Here's a screen shot with the cirlce turned on.

Screen shot 2013-10-18 at 11.49.22 AM.png

• 14. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab

I'm about to run out for the day, but I'll take a look later.

You'r using CC, right? are you patched to 9.1? Unless you have the very latest version of UTC it probably is not compatible and could well be the source of the problem.

• 15. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                                      Mary Posner Level 3

SRiegel's got it. Use the Layers panel to show the items that are on the Default layer on Master A. You can turn that item's visiblity on there and delete it.

• 16. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab

You can also set text wrap to only apply when objects are visible.

• 17. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                                          justacrazywoman Level 1

OMG. It's a freakin circle? That is about the strangest thing ever! I removed the circle and it works just fine. I have absolutly no idea how it got there. No idea. I told my co-workers and they are also stumped - yet relieved that there is a solution! We are blown away.

Well, I kinda feel stupid that the problem was a stupid circle. But thank you!! This is why forums work

Thank you!

Becca

• 18. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                                            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I am only curious: Are you never working with Paragraph Styles? Do you never rename Layer with anything else then their default name? You should not do so.

• 19. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                                              Migintosh Level 4

Willi Adelberger wrote:

I am only curious: Are you never working with Paragraph Styles? Do you never rename Layer with anything else then their default name? You should not do so.

Are you saying that if you never work with paragraph styles, you should not do that? It's kind of a double-negative way of saying "do work with paragraph styles," so if that's what you are saying, I agree.

But, it also sounds a little like you are saying that you should never rename a layer (or, is "do you never…?" a sort-of Olivia Newton John way of saying "do you ever…?"). I haven't found renaming layers to be a problem, so if that's what you mean, can you explain why? (And sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.)

• 20. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab

Migintosh wrote:

Willi Adelberger wrote:

Are you saying that if you never work with paragraph styles, you should not do that? It's kind of a double-negative way of saying "do work with paragraph styles," so if that's what you are saying, I agree.

But, it also sounds a little like you are saying that you should never rename a layer (or, is "do you never…?" a sort-of Olivia Newton John way of saying "do you ever…?"). I haven't found renaming layers to be a problem, so if that's what you mean, can you explain why? (And sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.)

Are you able to read? I made no statement, I asked a question. Did you see the question mark? It is there, you can see it.

I did so, because the example file looks not very professionell. I did so, because Arial was used.

My opinion is that not even one pargraph in InDesign should be written without any paragraph style and no layer name should remain with its default generic name.

• 21. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                                                  Migintosh Level 4

Let's just calm down a bit. First, I was only asking you to clarify something. No need to get personal. Of course I can read. There's no reason to use hyperbole to make a personal attack. You did, in fact make a statement that "You should not do so." …and I just wanted to know what you meant.

Willi Adelberger wrote:

My opinion is that not even one pargraph in InDesign should be written without any paragraph style and no layer name should remain with its default generic name.

That single sentence is all you needed to write, because it tells me the answers that I wanted to know. Wouldn't it make more sense to ask me to clarify my question before assuming it was an insult? I don't know you, and would have no reason to pop off at a stranger, so I hope you will forgive me if what I wrote was unclear, but please, don't make assumptions about me. Thank you.

• 22. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab

Sorry, your answer shows again, that you did not read the "?". I was not insulting you.

• 23. Re: Weird invisable indent/tab
                                                      justacrazywoman Level 1

Sorry, I just now saw more comments on my thread. Looks like it got heated!

1. The example I provided didn't look "professional" because it wasn't meant to be. It was just an average stripped down document with nothing fancy (no styles, no layers, no incopy files, no links, no fonts other than arial, no nohting). I assum you didn't notice I even used placeholder text instead of real words.

2. Yes, I use layers and styles. I name them whatever I want to name them. And I'm even so fancy as to assign colors to the various layers.

3. After reading the above few replys, I agree with Migintosh.

Nevertheless, my original question was answered and I'm good now. Thanks!

Becca