2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2013 9:58 AM by Dov Isaacs

your tip in Printing in Indesign--working with high quality images

Lori-S-Graphic Design

Hi everyone,

I am very curious about what the other professionals' idea about printing and using Indesign to print.

I am working on a project that with high resolutions of model and product images together.

Since I had to move elements on the layout. Model and product images are in different layers in Indesign.

I used Indesign to combine those images together to create ads for magazine.

However, I was told  that it would be "SAFER" to combine those images together FRIST in photoshop.

he thinks the process should be that:

---Having a flated image of model and products in photoshop first

----then bring that one image in Indesign.

----This way it would insure the color will be right.

What do you guys think?

The places I worked in the past, has not done stuff like that.

I feel like ...colors aren't something we could control when magazine uses their own printing vendor.

What is your process to ensure the color is right when priting a combination of different high resolution tiff files?

Thank you very much for your time and knowleage.

Lori

• 1. Re: your tip in Printing in Indesign--working with high quality images
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you have some sort of color management in place, I would continue to do it the way you are.

But let's say you did want to follow this fellow's advice. Here's everything I can think of.

Putting the models and products together on one Photoshop "page" can wind up making the PSD file very big as there may be spaces between the models and products.

Never, ever flatten that Photoshop file. There's no need and makes a very complicated workflow if you have to make any changes.

You're right about the magazine printing process taking over color.

What are you sending the magazine? A PDF? There's totally no need to flatten in Photoshop then.

The art is flattened in it's own way.

I'm also assuming that your prducts and models are close to each other

• 2. Re: your tip in Printing in Indesign--working with high quality images
            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

There is nothing safer about the workflow suggested by your advisor. In fact it seems to yield a more complex workflow that could be less safe. Assuming that each of the images is properly color-managed and has an ICC color profile embedded, why would there be color problems that there wouldn't somehow be if you tried to merge the images into an uber-image in Photoshop? In fact, I could imagine more problems if you tried to combine images with different profiles into a single image in Photoshop!!!

- Dov

1 person found this helpful