5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2013 9:11 PM by Rick Gerard

    Cheek bulge effect?


      Hello Everyone,


      I am wondering if anyone is familiar on how to make an effect as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEdMRt7q1Uw


      I have a shot of one side of the characters head, and was wondering if there was a way in after effects to make the cheek bulge out like they did in the movie. I don't know if this is something that needs to be imported into cinema 4D to reconstruct a 3D model, but that may be above my knowledge.. However, if anyone has a simple and effective way on how to go about this, that would be amazing!


      Look forward to hearing from you guys!


        • 1. Re: Cheek bulge effect?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

          I mean, there is the Bulge effect and a whole host of other distortion effects that might be what you want, but without seeing your angle it'll be a little tricky to suggest anything.

          • 2. Re: Cheek bulge effect?
            macmanpro Level 1

            thanks for your reply! Here is the angle:


            • 3. Re: Cheek bulge effect?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

              I'll assume you watched the video. 


              Thus, you're WELL AWARE that they used a combination of chroma key, practical effects (an air gun to blow the cheeks out), 3D modeling and animation, complex compositing.... and oh, yes, Panavision cameras.


              Now, these guys are effects pros.  If they COULD have used AE and a handicam alone to do the effect, they WOULD have used them.  No sense wasting money and time.


              Knowing all this, what do you think the answer to your query might be?

              • 4. Re: Cheek bulge effect?
                macmanpro Level 1

                Im well aware that i wont get anywhere near the result they did... Obviously. I just am trying to get something similar, even if its no where near as close as they did, i thought it would be worth the challenge...

                • 5. Re: Cheek bulge effect?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                  A little masking, a duplicated layer, an inverted mask, and an adjustment layer all with an instance of bulge gave me this in about 2 minutes. You'll have to hand roto the layers to make this work. The key to pulling something like this off is to make it happen quickly.