4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2013 3:16 PM by Shane P

Bizarre AVCHD recognition issue

Shane P Level 3

Hi,

I am having a rather bizarre issue with some AVCHD footage.

About 2 weeks ago I installed a clean copy of Win 7 Pro 64 on my main workstation and then installed the CC apps. My OS assigned a different drive letter to my main external media drive so over the course of a couple of days I openend all of my projects and relinked all of the media. I felt like an idiot after realizing toward the end I should have just changed my drive letter :-( DOH!

Anyway after I relinked all of the files, etc, I had to export an updated version of a sequence. Everything seemed ok and after watching the exported movie I noticed that certain edits weren't right. I double and triple checked all of my linked media, etc, and everything was fine. I finally realized what had happened.

In a folder of AVCHD footage I have several clips ranging from 00000.MTS - 00017.MTS. I had a sequence in which 00016.MTS and 00017.MTS were both used. The edits that changed were where the 00017.MTS file was used. I right clicked to verify that it was in fact linked correctly to the correct file 00017.MTS file and sure enough it was.

I opened Media Browser and viewed the folder as a File Directory. What is happening is 00016.MTS and 000.17.MTS are being read as containing the same footage. Clip 00017.MTS is being read as having the same footage as clip 00016.MTS. I also noticed that this was happening with 2 other files. I then switched the view to read as AVCHD. At that point Media browser wasn't reading the 3 clips at all.

I navigated out to Windows explorer to inspect the files directly. I drilled down through the AVCHD folders and into the Stream folder. Clip 00016.MTS and 00017.MTS are in fact intact just as they were shot. I played them each in Windows Media player to double check.

I was stumped at this point as to why Media Browser is not reading them correctly.

I then copied the entire AVCHD folder to my Win 7 Home laptop with PPCC (same version 7.0.1 as my desktop that I am having the issue with) and the same result. PP CC Media Browser is not reading the 3 clips.

I then copied the AVCHD folder to my old laptop with Win Vista Home and PP CS4. I opened Media Browser in CS4 and it reads all of the clips perfectly.

Any ideas as to why PPCC Media browser is not reading these specific clips?

Oh, and I have dumped all of my media cache files in case that was the issue with the same result.

Workstatiion - Win 7 Pro 64 - PPCC 7.0.1

Laptop - Win 7 Home 64 - PPCC 7.0.1

Old Laptop - Win Vista Home 64 - PPCS4 4.2.1 (This laptop/PP reads all media fine)

I hope I explained this clearly and someone has an idea as to what is going on, I sure as heck can't figure it out.

Thank you in advance,

Shane

Scratching my head here.

• 1. Re: Bizarre AVCHD recognition issue
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Clip 00017.MTS is being read as having the same footage as clip 00016.MTS. I also noticed that this was happening with 2 other files. I then switched the view to read as AVCHD. At that point Media browser wasn't reading the 3 clips at all.

This is normal for spanned clips.  The Media Browser will only show you the first file of a spanned clip.  So it looks as though 16 and 17 were incorrectly imported the first time around, and now you're having an issue.

This is why it's recommenced you always copy the entire card for solid state media, leave it's contents unchanged, and always use the Media Browser for import.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bizarre AVCHD recognition issue
            Shane P Level 3

Jim,

When transferring these files from the card I copied everthing over. I then (at the time) used Media Browser viewing them as AVCHD to import them which is why I don't understand why it is not recogignizing them now.

How do I resolve the spanned clip issue?

• 3. Re: Bizarre AVCHD recognition issue
              Jim_Simon Level 8

If the Media Browser isn't showing you 17 when viewed as AVCHD, that is pretty strong evidence that 17 is actually the second half of file 16, that they were recorded as one long clip that got split into two separate files.  If that's true, then you only got clip 17 in the project because you didn't use Media Browser for import the first time around (or didn't have it set to show AVCHD).

The fix would be a reedit where those clips are concerned.

• 4. Re: Bizarre AVCHD recognition issue
                Shane P Level 3

Ok, Jim, thank you for the info.