5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2013 2:33 PM by areohbee

keyboard shortcuts

victorvodka Level 1

I'd like to do things like change focus for items in an LrView and also expand specific popup menus using certain keypresses (for example, by overriding default behaviors on the cursor buttons). How doable is that under the Lightroom SDK? I've looked over the documentation and seen little if any mention of this subject.

• 1. Re: keyboard shortcuts
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The SDK provides almost no support.  On Windows, you can use & in button labels to define alt-key shortcuts, e.g. "&Next" will define alt-n as the shortcut for the button labeled "Next".  But that's about it.  There's no way to change focus.

Some plugin authors have used Autohotkey on Windows and Applescript on Mac to generate ("stuff") keystroke / UI events, but I think the general consensus is those approaches are fragile and difficult to make work reasonably well, much less maintain over subsequent releases of LR.

• 2. Re: keyboard shortcuts
            victorvodka Level 1

Thanks for that, it's good to know where the limits of this world lie.   I suppose that could be an avenue for future UI API support, assuming some Google Chrome-based UI isn't provided first.

Is there at least a way to expand a popup_menu programmatically? (that is, without clicking on it)? ideally i could tab over to it (and tabs do seem to go from UI form element to form element, but i'm doubtful about what happens when i try to put invisible UI form elements in the way).

• 3. Re: keyboard shortcuts
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Is there at least a way to expand a popup_menu programmatically? (that is, without clicking on it)?

I don't think so.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: keyboard shortcuts
                victorvodka Level 1

is there a way to make a popup menu default to being popped open?

• 5. Re: keyboard shortcuts
                  areohbee Level 5

victorvodka wrote:

is there a way to make a popup menu default to being popped open?

Not via SDK (nor any other way that I am aware of). Not sayin' impossible (I never say that), just sayin'...