8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 7:53 AM by oasel

Duik tools, character scaling and project set up...

oasel Level 1

Hi,

I'm working in AE CC on a project including two characters rigged with Duik tools and controlled by a few nulls. I rigged each one in a separate composition. My plan was to copy the character layers  into a main background comp and keep it all in there when I animate. The problem is that the characters are bigger than the background comp and when I try to scale them down the IK goal layers made by the duik script won't scale proportionally. Is there a way around that, or another way to set things up? How would you guys do?  I rahter not jump between comps when I animate. Is there a way to keep the characters in pre-comps and still control everything from the main comp. Can you do it completely with expression controls? Or some other way I'm not thinking about? I'm pretty new to this so I'm sure there must be some simple way. I've watched lots of tutorials on how to rig characters with Duik tools, but haven't found any good ones adressing the part when you put it all together.

• 1. Re: Duik tools, character scaling and project set up...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

With expressions there is no "simple way". If you don't know how to create or modify them, don't use them.  I'm sure this sounds rude, but that's what it comes down to. As it stands, your best bet is to simply lock the viewers and use them side by side. Everything else would require to se the full project, be in the mood to look at it and posibly get paid to make the necessary modifications 'cos few people will have the inclination to spend their own valuable time fixing such potentially complicated setups...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Duik tools, character scaling and project set up...
            oasel Level 1

Some rudeness was expected. Novice questions are perfect targets . And yes, I figured the solution would be either too complex, specific or obvious, otherwise I'd have come across it already. I am not completely new to expressions but I still have plenty to learn and I'm really just trying to figure out what might be dead ends and what might work, and hopefully find some more examples to learn from. If expression controls are a possible way to go it might be a good time for me to get into it.

• 3. Re: Duik tools, character scaling and project set up...
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't see your timeline or the relationships between layers but simple parenting or pre-composing is always an option. If the expressions used to do the ID on your characters are not already setup to use toWorld or toComp methods Parenting won't work, but Pre-composing will.

If that doesn't do it, please show us a screen shot. It doesn't cost anything and, frankly, trying to answer complex questions like this without a good look at the project is a waste of everybody's time.

• 4. Re: Duik tools, character scaling and project set up...
                oasel Level 1

I'll try to be more specific and ask one question at a time. Unfortunately I can't show images of the rigged characters because of copyright, and the layers are all named in swedish. I'll post the layer structure anyway, showing the expressions created for the foot by Duik tools, and a quick sketch of the basic parts of the rig of one character. It's all segmented layers, no puppet tool involved yet and nothing in 3d. And the first question was if it's possible to get the IK goal to scale with the rest of the puppet. Parenting them or selecting them together with all other layers doesn't seem like an option (or should it be?)

ik.JPG

Skärmklipp.JPG

• 5. Re: Duik tools, character scaling and project set up...

Looks like your setup is using parenting for the IK so just pre-compose or nest your character inside the main comp. Take a look at this little demo that I threw together in a few minutes the other day.

The little character is just a nested comp with some puppet pin and a simple walk cycle and smile. The movement in the virtual room is just position animation in AE of the 3D nested layer. The rest is a simple camera move.

Here's the project file

This is how I would set up my AE Workspace to work on the animation.

animationSetup.jpeg

• 6. Re: Duik tools, character scaling and project set up...
                    oasel Level 1

Thank you! And that brings me to the next question I had. Is it possible to link  (or move) the controls I have for my two charcters in their pre-comps to the main comp and run the characters completely from there?

• 7. Re: Duik tools, character scaling and project set up...

You will just have to write the expressions so they point to the precomp. Where it says thisComp you put in the comp("name").

For example: comp("MainComp").layer("Camera 1").transform.position instead of thisComp.layer("Camera 1").transform.position

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Duik tools, character scaling and project set up...
                        oasel Level 1

That's very helpful! Thank you.