4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2013 1:15 PM by able123

RED footage not showing up on external monitor (CS6)

TacoRye Level 1

Hello all,

When I select a RED clip (R3D) and place it in the source window to play it back.  It does not show up on my external monitor. (via Blackmagic Intensity Pro).

However, it shows up once placed in the timeline.

This is a problem because when attempting to play footage back for my client, they can not see the image.

Thanks!

- Ryan

• 1. Re: RED footage not showing up on external monitor (CS6)
          Level 4

I have cs6 but dont have BM card and dont do what youre doing on set etc... but have worked on sets a lot and if youre trying to show producer, director, client ...stuff.... fast.... the best thing is just to do what works fastest... IMO you should just dump your clips into a sequence ( call it previews or something )... timeline and play the stuff so the program monitor is getting the and in turn going to your external monitor.. You can also ( at that point.. on timeline ) decide what to do with fast color correction type stuff ( looks etc ).... so they see something at least close to what they wanna see....

The source monitor has traditionally been a way to set in out points to sorta do a quick edit of what you wanna use... and drop that into timeline from there...it was never intended to be a program monitor...and thats what BM is also dealing with.

good luck..

• 2. Re: RED footage not showing up on external monitor (CS6)
            TacoRye Level 1

Thanks for the reply Able!

It is not for set, it is in the edit suite.

I always have clients on edits.  And it is quite common to double click a clip in the bin to just play a take.  Not just for creating in/outs.

It works sometimes, but not others.  Never with RED footage, however.

This is a common practice, atleast at my studio.

I am a former FCP user, so it threw me off a bit. 

I feel like Premiere "wow's" me with some things, then disappoints with others. 

I appreciate your help!

- Ryan

• 3. Re: RED footage not showing up on external monitor (CS6)
              Level 4

yeah, stuff is weird..I wish I had the BM stuff you have.. would be cool.  Plus theres no limit to more stuff I wish I had...sorry I wasnt more help... but at least you know you're not alone in the universe of adobe forum...

• 4. Re: RED footage not showing up on external monitor (CS6)
                Level 4

I know I'm saying this with no clue what I'm talking about... but a couple years ago I tested a red camera with ( yes, its true ) CS3 on a 32 bit mousey computer.

To do it I had to go through redcine X ( the first version of that program from red )... and make the stuff off the card from red ( 2k limit on card ) into a mov wrapper .. in other words I had to downscale to SD in redcine X from 2k JUST to get the stuff into my mouse computer with CS3....

I kinda followed developments the last couple years with alexa and red and my impression is that the redcine x and arri raw stuff is always getting updated..

sooooo, do you have the latest plug in or whatever cs6 uses for the red now ??? I have no clue.. dont use it ....but if it works sometimes and not other times.. your double click from bins... maybe check that out.. ?? good luck !