8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 2:56 PM by A.T. Romano

Blurry text in menus

Djosha

I am using Premiere Elements 9. Get gread video but blurry text in title and menus - what am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Blurry text in menus
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Djosha

The DVD menus do not display the "greatest" in the Disc Menu section/Preview section of the program.

The Preview in that location is intended to catch any issues associated with the navigation buttons used by the TV Remote.

What do the DVD menus look like for the DVD-VIDEO on DVD that you produce and playback on the computer or TV?

What specific DVD Template are you using, and do you find this problem with all, some, or just this one DVD Template?

More later.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 2. Re: Blurry text in menus
            Djosha Level 1

Actually they look worse on a large TV, seem relatively good on my 24" monitor. I used "Broadway" for this project, previously I used "Stage", both had the same problem with the text, in this case I used font KILLIAN, Regular

• 3. Re: Blurry text in menus
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Djosha

Thanks for the follow up.

What font size did you use? Did you also replace the background of the DVD Template or did you just change the font and font size?

I will give this a first hand look with the Broadway and Stage DVD Templates and see what is currently going on with them in my Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1. What project preset are you using for your project? That determines which of the 3 possible DVD menu sets that will be available to you in Disc Menus...either s, w, hd.

Did you ever get good menu results from the program in the past for your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

ATR

• 4. Re: Blurry text in menus
                Djosha Level 1

On the title I used Trajan Pro @ 40pt, and Killian @ 24 pt, on the scene selection screens I used Killian @ 36 pt. Do not recall what I set at the project start, but my default exports are for NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD, is tehre a way to find out what project settings I did select?  I only did 3 projects so far all had the same issues with text being blurry.

• 5. Re: Blurry text in menus
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Djosha

Thanks for the additional information.

To verify your project settings, please check out Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and what it says for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size. Also, what does it say for Pixel Aspect Ratio. Do not worry if the fields are grayed out. The information in them is still important.

ATR

• 6. Re: Blurry text in menus
                    Djosha Level 1

Editing Mode: HDV 1080i

Timebase:  29.97 frames/second

Frame Size 1440 horizontal, 1080 vertical

Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)

• 7. Re: Blurry text in menus
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Djosha

I am a little behind schedule but am just about ready to get started on your DVD text issue first hand.

BUT, I see something in your details (post 6) that may significant to the issues.

What are the properties of what you are putting on the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Windows Timeline.

Are you importing a high definition source or a standard definition standard or widescreen source

a. 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9

b. 1920 x 1080 16:9 square pixels

c. 1280 x 720 16:9 square pixels

d. 720 x 480 4:3

e. 720 x 480 16:9

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Blurry text in menus
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Djosha

I did some looking at the Broadway (HD) DVD Template and the blurry text issues that you encountered.

Your font looks much too small in the Disc Menus window for the font sizes that you said that you used.

In going your route, NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 project to DVD-VIdeo Widescreen on DVD, and using the fonts and font sizes that you mentioned, my initial impression is that the font size is too small and the font choice should have more body to stand up against the Adobe background. I worked with your Trajan Pro 40 and 24, but did not have the Killian 24 that you mentioned. I checked this out with DVD-VIDEO computer and TV playback of the DVD-VIDEO created.

With the original Broadway menu (Title: Impact 89 pt SubTitles: Trajan Pro 40 pt)

Menu1.JPG

Did you get the blurry text in the menu in the end product playback?

I saw no purpose in decreasing the font sizes for this particular font.

Menu2.JPG

Here the Title was Trajan Pro 40 and SubTitle Trajan Pro 24.

If you have not already, I would try for larger font sizes. The font color as is seems OK if the font size is increased.

Maybe look at the Arial Rounded MT Bold and Broadway fonts, varying the sizes.

Please review and then let me know if any of the above worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR