15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 9:55 PM by Chris Cox

HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to

M5 Studio+Design

I recently updated to CS5. I convert my Jpeg of raw images to 32 bit while editing. I then save as and covert back to 8 bit jpeg for uploadsing to MPix or my website. This is how I have used my previous version of photoshop. Now in CS5 a HDR Tone box aoutomatically appears before converting to 8 bit. I can not turn it off and therfore can not convert from 32 bit tiff to 8 bit jpeg. How do I convert back to 8 bit jpeg without this stupid box appearing?

Thanks

• 1. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up WTF
          Level 7

THe HDR toning options always come up when you convert 32 bit/channel to 8 or 16 bit/channel - that hasn't changed.

But the big question is: why are you editing your 8 bit/channel images in 32 bit/channel HDR mode?  It seems like you might be using the 32 bit/channel mode by mistake.

• 2. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up WTF
            M5 Studio+Design Level 1

I am not using HDR mode. HDR Tone box appears when I attemp to convert from 32 bit tiff to 8 bit jpeg.

• 3. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up WTF
              Level 7

You are using HDR - that's what 32 bit/channel mode is.

Again, it sounds like you're using 32 bit/channel by mistake.

• 4. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                Noel Carboni Level 8

The box is supposed to pop up.  It is not "stupid", it offers you choices you need to make.  Chris is implying that whatever you did before that left you with a 32 bits/channel file you need to "convert to 8 bit jpeg" may have been a choice made on wrong assumptions.

When the HDR Toning dialog comes up, just select the "Exposure and Gamma" method, leave the controls alone, and click [ OK ].  That will give you the conversion you expect, I imagine.

-Noel

• 5. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                  M5 Studio+Design Level 1

If a dialogue box pops up for a editing method you did not select and

forces one to use it what would you call it smart? My choice is to not use

it and close but that is not a choice given me. I have been converting to

32 bit, editing, doing a save as 8 bit for 300 dpi. I convert to 8 bit for

web and print. I then save the 32 bit version as a edited master file. I

have been using this method successfully purposely in photoshop 5.5 for 10

years so no "assumptions" have been made. During this time not once did an

HDR Tone box pop up and prevent me from finishing my conversion to save as

8 bit 300 dpi. If you used 5.5 then you know the distinction from CS5. I

recently changed to CS5 so I have no idea what an HDR Tone box is.

Hopefully my frustration with HDR being crammed down my throat will be

better understood.

• 6. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

New software gets new features.

What is your reason for using 32 bit editing?  What can't you do in 16 bits/channel, which is where folks not doing HDR generally work?

Is it possible you've convinced yourself that for some reason you need 32 bit floating point format, but you really can't justify why?  I don't mean to be critical but I get the impression you're not really doing what you think you're doing.

It's been many years since I used Photoshop 5.5...  I don't believe Photoshop 5.5 even gave you the ability to use 32 bits/channel.  It's not available in Photoshop 6.0 (I have a copy of that installed here).

-Noel

• 7. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                      M5 Studio+Design Level 1

The reason I convert to 32 bit is to have the best quality image for

editing. When I took photoshop in 1999 this is the method I was taught to

create the best file quality. save as 8 bit and keep the 32 bit as a edited

master file + the original unedited. I don't shoot HDR. If 32 bit is HDR

then perhaps I forgot after 30 years of photography. I have in the past

combined 2 negatives of the same scene to create a better tonal range in my

image, B+W of course. Of all imaging tasks, image editing demands the

highest dynamic range.

• 8. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                        Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

I'll let Chris comment, but I can see no benefit to converting a single 8 or 16-bit image to 32-bits. There may be some benefit (though not a ton) to converting an 8-bit image to 16-bit.

If you're combining brackets of images into 32-bit files, then you do need to go through the HDR toning dialog so Photoshop knows how to map the 32-bit data to a 16-bit representation. Otherwise, you're just throwing away data randomly.

• 9. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                          Level 7

You did select 32 bit / channel / HDR mode, and then you got a toning dialog when you tried to convert out of that mode - exactly like it is supposed to work.

As long as Photoshop has had 32 bit/channel floating point HDR mode, you have gotten a toning dialog when you convert down to 8/16 bit modes.  That has not changed.  I'm pretty sure of that, since I wrote all of the code involved.

Again, it seems like you are using 32 bit High Dynamic Range floating point mode to edit your 8 bit (Low Dynamic Range) integer images by mistake.

• 10. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                            Level 7

In 1999, Photoshop didn't have a 32 bit/channel HDR image mode.  You could only go up to 16 bit/channel.

32 bit/channel was added in Photoshop CS2, released in 2005.

No, not all image editing demands the highest dynamic range, especially when you don't understand the capabilities and limitations of the highest dynamic range mode.

• 11. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                              M5 Studio+Design Level 1

I think the point of having greater bit depth for editing is that each time

you do something to the image, the result has to be quantized to the bit

depth you're working in. I felt that you have more info for editing and

thus more info get's transferred when making the 8 bit depth file.

My memory of that class was the instructor telling the class to edit at the

highest bit mode. But I do recall that 16 bit was the max when I had 5.5 so

my bad.

The version I edited with in 32 bit was CS 2 and I don't think I was

converting to 32 bit by mistake for 7 years. The HDR Tone box did not

appear in CS 2. My image would convert to 8 bit without issue.

My question was why does CS 5 have this HDR box when CS 2 did not and how

do I bypass it. I will call adobe to ask why this type of editing was

possible in CS2  but not CS5

• 12. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                                Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

No need to call. Chris is the authority. He wrote the application.

• 13. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                                  M5 Studio+Design Level 1

With CS2 I had no problems with HDR box appearing when converting from 8

bit to 32 bit and back to 8 bit.  It doubt it existed in CS2. Now I have

CS5. The HDR Toning dialog appears automatically if I switch from 32

Bits/Channel mode to a lower bit depth. The result is my edited image that

was carefully edited suddenly has colors that become garishly exaggerated.

My only choice I am given is to begin editing again using the controls in

HDR box. I just want to save and close as I did in CS2, not be forced to

edit my image again as a condition before I close my file.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Jeffrey Tranberry <forums_noreply@adobe.com

• 14. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

M5 Studio+Design wrote:

The result is my edited image that was carefully edited suddenly has colors that become garishly exaggerated.

See the bold text in post number 4, and please try to do some research before commenting further.  Your assumptions and statements are more often wrong than right!

-Noel

• 15. Re: HDRbox Tone keeps popping up, like it is supposed to
                                      Level 7

Yes, the HDR toning dialog existed in CS2, and showed whenever you converted from 32 bit/channel to 8 or 16 bit/channel.

As Noel already pointed out, you can use the exposure and gamma tonining operator to preserve the on-screen appearance of your 32 bit/channel image.

And, again, you are making a mistake in using 32 bit/channel in the first place.