11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 7:37 AM by Ann Bens

Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator

bonini9

Hi, i am kind of new with Premire and video, though have experience in web design and coding, but i have noticed a weird problem with premiere pro cs 5.5  when i  import jpeg pictures and put them as intro before the video that where done in adobe illustrator and have vectors and stuff, the quality of the image gets pretty bad and blurry...i searched through the internet looking for clues on what to do like changing to png, tiff formats but nothing has helped so far....any ideas on what to do. So when i import jpeg,png images from illustrator (that have vectors or illustrations) do i have to do something special with it, or import it in some special format??? i would appreciate the help.

This is how the image looks on youtube:

Anyway here is the video with its poor image quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_oMNzXAZ8Y&feature=youtu.be

foro.jpg

This is how it looks originally before putiing it, in premiere pro cs 5.5

Anyway here is the video with its poor image quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_oMNzXAZ8Y&feature=youtu.be

intro2.jpg

THANX guys would appreciate the help!!!

• 1. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
          Level 4

hiya.

video likes 72 dpi ( though some will say it doesnt matter .. thats a long story ). basically video 'shows' 72 dpi ( basically what the monitor resolution is...typically 72 dpi ).  As you know from print and dimensions, there is a relative sorta thing with byte count ( file size in bytes ), ppi ( I usually say dpi but in video its ppi ....same thing basically )..., and dimensions ( width x height ).

soooo , as you know in print and web stuff...there is a relationship between number of dots or pixels, dimensions in inches or pixels, and overall byte count of file size....

That said, in "print" it is usually best to go with 300dpi.. In video it is best to go with 72 ppi.....

Also, in print and going offest press.. its nice to go with cmyk ( for color separations ).. but in video and web its best to go with RGB.

The video stuff doesnt deal with vector stuff... it just sees and deals with bitmapped stuff...vector stuff is a mathematical sorta thing whereas video stuff is just plain old bitmaps ( like BMP, TIF, JPG, etc )...

Ideally your still images and graphics in a video editing program would be bitmapped rgb 72 ppi.. and match exactly the dimension of your video format ( eg. 1080p ).  That said, it is normal to have LARGER images ( still images and graphics ) than your project dimensions if you PLAN ON SCALING AND MOTION )... like, your original graphic or pic can be larger than the project if you plan on scaling it down over time to make it look like you are zooming out in the video ....

To get the best results of a graphic or picture in a video is to have it exactly the project size ( eg. 1920x1080 px at 72 ppi for full HD ).

soooooo.... if you convert your vector to bitmap, save as psd or tif or something... at 72ppi , with the dimensions in inches or pixels that equals the video ( 1920x1080 for example )... you will see what you want in your second sample ( the original )...

ps.. you can import layers to the video if you wanna do a psd file and have ONE of those layers the one you use in your video ...can label it something like " video layer " ... whatever...

• 2. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
            Level 4

ps....

there are also issues regarding progressive vs. interlaced...but thats another story....so first lets find out what your video project specs are.. then find out your picture file specs... and then find out if you are doing the right thing with progressive vs interlaced.. lots of people here to help you !

• 3. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dpi has no meaning in video. Dpi is just for printing, all that counts is height and width in pixels.

Vector art is rasterized on import. So the ai file becomes a bitmap.

What are your sequence settings and what are your export settings. And what size are your images.

What is the final destination?

• 4. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
                Level 4

thank you ann.. it is such a relief to know that dpi means nothing and understanding doing graphics and vectors when delivering to video that dpi means absolutely nothing ... also, that the vector art which is not bitmapped is 'rasterized' which means it becomes bitmapped on import.. again, bypassing any need to know anything about what dpi is and what rasterized means...

since nothing I said has any bearing on the posters problems I am really happy that you have moved on to the real problems... what a relief !

oh.. did I mention something about progressive vs interlaced ?? or dimensions and ppi and dpi ??? and dimensions matching project settings ??

yes...

please add your posts in a way that further explains things to posters rather than just saying things that throw what others say out the window as if they are useless information... thank you ...

• 5. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
                  Level 4

forget it ann, you are unable to understand what Im saying...  so forget I said that ...[Insult removed]

Play nice.

Message edited by Jim Simon

• 6. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
                    bonini9 Level 1

Hi guys thanx for the help, by the way the images i am mentioning are jpeg (save for web) images from illustrator it is NOT the direct .ai file in premierce pro,  as for the sequence settings its DV-NTSC - Widescreen 48kHZ, the export settings its just FLV file with all its default settings for exporting FLV files, the image size its 640 x 360 (think its smaller than a 48khz could this affect?). And the final destination would say its youtube! thanx guys And i have no idea what is progressive vs interlaces!!!

• 7. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Personally, I like the way that Ps (Photoshop) Rasterizes AI files, and will run my AI files through it, to Rasterize and then Save_As PSD, for Import into PrPro. That process/workflow works best for me.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
                        Level 4

sorry Boni, I got blown outta the water here... someone else will help you maybe.. look at ann's post.. and answer the question...

• 9. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
                          bonini9 Level 1

Hi guys, any ideas how to fix these? anyone?

• 10. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you use the save for web from AI, you need to set the pixel size to what you need (the exact size of your Premiere sequence pixel size if you are not doing any motion/scaling in Premiere). So for NTSC DV, 720X480. I assume that your jpegs are less than 720x480.

Bill's method (AI file to Photoshop to PSD) is the better workflow.

This is all to the point Ann made that your AI (vector) image gets rasterized (fixed to a pixel size) at some point. For you, it was when you saved it for web.

I don't do this a lot, and I see when I look for an option to "save for web," that the option for export pixel size in the "export" options (e.g. export and pick jpeg), are set by selecting a ppi! That may be what Rod was looking at. In the end, it is not the ppi setting that matters for video, only the pixel size and par of the image.

And yes, there are other settings in AI that can probably create issues.

• 11. Re: Problem with jpeg images imported from Illustrator
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The original jpeg is 640x360 dropping that in a dv timeline (720x480) means upscaling then exporting it for YT-sd (downscaling) again does not do the quality any good.

So setup a timeline 640x360, drop the jpeg in and export to YT-sd which is mp4.