4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 3:03 AM by Guy Burns

Can I tell Premiere NOT to drop frames for 25fps > 24 fps?

Guy Burns Level 1

I've got some 25 fps clips (which have undergone PAL speedup from the original 24 fps), excerpts from which are in a 24 fps sequence.  I want to tell Premiere to forget about dropping one frame each second (which is what it does to conform 25 fps to 24 fps) and instead to play the video at 24 fps. Reinterpreting the footage to 24 fps is of no use because the in/out points are then not in the right place.

So, given a 25 fps clip sent to a 24 fps timeline with lots of in/out points, can I tell Premiere to keep the in/out points exactly where they are, and to not drop frames?

• 1. Re: Can I tell Premiere NOT to drop frames for 25fps > 24 fps?
          cc_merchant Level 4

Use the original material.

which have undergone PAL speedup from the original 24 fps

How can you think going from 25 fps to 24 can be done without dropping a frame?

• 2. Re: Can I tell Premiere NOT to drop frames for 25fps > 24 fps?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

There's no way to get what you want here, but that's not surprising given what you are trying to do and the way you're doing it.

I'd agree with cc-merchant.  Get the original material, not the PAL version.  If you can't do that, your only option will be to Interpret the frame rate and adjust the edit accordingly.

• 3. Re: Can I tell Premiere NOT to drop frames for 25fps > 24 fps?
              Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

You have got two choices there. Create a sequence with 25 fps or 24fps and drag and drop your footage in any of the preferred final outcome.

I have created multiple DVDs from PAL to NTSC in the UK which were shipped to NTSC mainland and played very well without any problems. I achieved this by importing an Adobe Sequence using dynamic link in CS6 and the previous and the audio was in complete sync..

This time ADOBE predicts that DVD and BLU RAY are all dying and the ipad is taking over. You can imagine how many families may afford to buy an ipad, iphone and ipod? Hence the demand for Adobe Encore to be updated allongside CC APPS or CS6 APPS. Great confusion from this ARROGANT company... ADOBE!!!!!!!!!

• 4. Re: Can I tell Premiere NOT to drop frames for 25fps > 24 fps?
                Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks for the responses. I have found a workaround for the problem, a problem which came about because I didn't reinterpret PAL video (from film that was originally 24 fps) to 24 fps before I started editing. I'm extracting interesting segments from old newsreels back to the 1930s, and since I had already edited several hundred segments, I coiuldn't face repeating the process. What follows is mostly for my benefit in case I ever had to do it again (forums are a good place to archive info), but it may be of interest to others.

PAL > 24 fps (how it should be done)

Pal video which has been digitised from 24 fps film (and hence undergone PAL speedup of 25/25), if it is then imported into a Premiere 24 fps sequence will have jerky video at the top and bottom because one of the interlaced fields will be dropped every 0.5 second with the result that the line at the top, bottom, or both will jump up and down. To stop this happening, reinterpret the video to 24 fps before editing in a timeline. This slows the video down to its correct fps (expands the time).

Slowing the edited video if NOT reinterpreted first

It is possible to correct the problem after setting up a sequence (if the clip was not reinterpreted to 24 fps) by changing the Speed/Duration to 96% (ctrl-click the clip in the Sequence timeline). This slows down the video/audio to the correct speed and also stops Premiere from trying to conform as described in the previous paragraph. However, these additional steps have to be taken:

1. Before changing the speed, video and audio clips that abut each other have to be separated to allow for the time expansion. After the expansion, move them back into place. If this is not done, video and audio at the juncture will overlap with loss of video and audio.
                2. The expansion may cause an extra frame of video to appear at the start of a clip. This has to be checked for and removed.
                3. Titles will not appear in the correct position. These also have to be moved manually.