6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 11:55 AM by Rick Gerard

What's better

jay226 Level 1

For cgi on/with live action video

After effects cinema 4d(which version) maya 3ds max

I'm a beginner. I have no experience or knowledge

• 1. Re: What's better
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are just a beginner I would suggest starting with AE, take a look at the free version of C4D that comes with CC and go from there. To become a true proficient at creating CGI effects and integrating them in a film you are looking a probably a minimum of 1000 hours of experimentation and education. This stuff is not easy to do well.

What exactly are you trying to do? Recreating scenes from Gravity or Iron Man is going to take you many months if not years. Adding some 3D text to a video will take you a few days. There's huge education in how visual effects are planned and executed that transcends software. Software is only the hammer, your ideas are the lumber, but it takes a plan to build something worthwhile.

If you want to experiment with creating 3D elements try blender.org. It's free and extremely capable of amazing stuff. Anything you learn in Blender except for where the menu items are, can be transferred to any other 3D app. The tools will feel different in your hand, but the skill and knowledge required to be successful are the same.

• 2. Re: What's better
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's like asking which car to buy before you even have gone through driver's school. Watch "Making ofs" , read articles, watch tutorials, get to work and hone your skills. Without hard work and lots of knowledge even the best 3D program on this planet only produces ugly renderings. The rest realyl doesn't matter in any way...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: What's better
              jay226 Level 1

Just a simple answer if even possible on here. Out of them which is best for just simple cool cgi. I don't have the budget for gravity iron man stuff, wires rigs suits etc. sure I could animate a suit if I knew how. Just cool effects. I'm going to try to give up on the big effects cuz I don't have the knowledge for them

Sent from my iPod

• 4. Re: What's better

If you haven't got the budget and want to make really cool things then pick one. Best is subjective. Budget to do Iron Man effects? Budget to design the really cool HUD effects in Oblivion? All you need is a smart phone camera to grab some video and some skills:

Screen Shot 2013-10-20 at 6.22.13 AM.png

(note to self: Adobe forums won't allow embedding Adobe TV you have to cheat like this to show really great Adobe stuff)

This in Blender, an open source and free 3D app that plays very well with AE, and frankly, I use Blender a lot more than I use C4D or 3Ds Max.

It's like I said before, don't expect to produce anything really cool that didn't start as a tutorial until you've spend about 1000 hours (six months of intensive study) with the tools becoming proficient.

• 5. Re: What's better
                  jay226 Level 1

I'm familiar with blender. Freakin difficult

Sent from my iPod

• 6. Re: What's better

So is C4D, Maya, 3dsMax, and AE. Remember what I said about 1,000 hours? Spend the money on C4d and expect to make a few clicks and end up with  something amazing and you are going to be severely disappointed. Took me about 10 days to produce my first 5 seconds of billable C4D work and I have been doing visual effects and 3d work on computers for 20 years and with cameras and sets for 40.