19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 6:55 AM by GeorgeMonteiro

Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.

GeorgeMonteiro

Please forgive the length of this inquiry. But it is complicated and has a lot of variables.

I have an hour long mixed format timeline both Red 3K footage and Black Magic ProRes 1080P footage that I want to make a DVD from and it takes forever and crashes half way through. I have tried doing it every way possible and the only way I was able to get even a partial export was using the "MPEG 2 DVD" export option in Premier CC. It goes fast at first telling me it will take about 2 hours but even though it starts quickly doing about 15 fps it slows down to less than 1 fps and finally just stops and crashes my Cuda Core enabled Macbook Pro Laptop.

I really don't know who to ask about this since there are so many different variables. I never had a problem like this on my MBP with PP6 on a 4K timeline exporting to DVD or Blue Ray or to H-264 or Even Prores. But I wasn't mixing formats either. But on this project the first 20-30 minutes of footage goes through fine in a couple of hours but something seems to be bogging down the system on longer projects. My work around was to break the project up into multiple exports and combining them on the DVD timeline but I can't do this on every project. I thought maybe it was a corrupted clip somewhere in the timeline but when I broke the timeline up into several parts I had no problems.

I did notice a dramatic variance in the time it took to export footage based on the sequence settings. A one minute timeline comprised Red 3K footage and ProRes 1080P footage Here are some sample export results:

From a Red raw 3K timeline 2880x1620  with 1080P Prores footage upscaled 150%)

to .m2v Mpeg 2 720x480 format    1:48 Minutes ***

to .mov  Prores 422HQ  1080P                         22 Minutes

to .mov H.264  1080P                    22 Minutes

to .m2v Mpeg 2 1080P                                                22 Minutes

From a 1080P timeline Prores footage at 100%  (Red footage downscaled to 67%)

to .m2v Mpeg 2 720x480 format                         13 Minutes

to .mov  Prores 422HQ 1080P                             13 Minutes

to .mov H.264  1080P                                                             14 Minutes

to .m2v Mpeg 2 1080P                                                            14 Minutes

Since I am going to DVD,  I chose the fastest option  Red to m2v Mpeg 2 720x480 format which only took 1:48 per minute. Why? I have no idea. Maybe someone here knows the answer. But again these numbers are for a ONE MINUTE clip when I tried to convert the whole hour timeline to  the 720x480.m2v DVD File the Red timeline froze my computer after several hours even though I had set sleep mode to “Never” and turned the display off manually and I had to convert it in multiple chunks. In 20-30 minute chunks it did go fast about 1:48 per minute like the test indicated. But I would like to be able to convert the whole hour and not to have to try to stitch the clips together in my DVD authoring program.

I don’t want to have to avoid using multiple formats on the same timeline or waste time transcoding everything to the same format.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to why the computer is crashing or bogging down in long exports and what timeline settings I should be using?

I have plenty of room on my Scratch Disk and 8 Gig of RAM and according to my Activity Monitor during the export process  have about 800 Meg of System Memory during export but the CPU Usage is 98% and in my Activity Monitor I see under “Process Name” ImporterRedServer flashing up at the top of the list about every second during export.

Why .720x480 mpeg DVD setting is so much faster than all the other export codecs?

And if there are any other settings I can use to get higher speed exports in HD? 14x1 seems a little slow especially since every time it crashes I have to start over.

• 1. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
          @eatsomefood

Hey George, I am having a very silimar issue: hr long runtime, trying to export to mpeg2 for dvd, it gets to 80% finished and crashes every time. I'm sorry to say but I do not have an answer, I was writing to see if you found a solution to this problem?

• 2. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
            GeorgeMonteiro Level 1

Hi, No solutions or answers yet. A suggestion that I am using too slow a computer.  I am transferring the file to my other computer to see if it does the same thing.

Why it crashes after 5-6 hours of rendering I have no Idea.

George

• 3. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
              @eatsomefood Level 1

Thanks, if I find a solution I'll report back.

• 4. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Excellent report, George. My first suspicion would have been that some content or effect was causing the encoding process to slow to a crawl. But that suspect is cleared by the fact the you have no such problems when you slice a large sequence into smaller chunks.

One thing I'm not clear on is what's crashing. PPRO +/or AME? Or the whole computer? In two places, it sounds like the computer is crashing. If that's the case, then I'd say the most likely culprit is that the CPU or GPU or some other component is overheating.

@eatsomefood: How about you? Is the program or the whole computer crashing? If it's "just" the program, is it crashing at the exact same point each time. (If you have trouble telling exactly where it's at from Output Preview thumbnail in AME's Encoding window, try putting the Timecode effect on an adjustment layer over the whole sequence--and enlarging to full frame-width to make it easy to see in the progress thumbnail)

• 5. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                  GeorgeMonteiro Level 1

Thanks Mark. Tomorrow I will be rendering out the same project on another computer, and older Mac Pro to see if it crashes in the same place. This time I will keep my eye on it throughout the day.  To be clear the program did not crash, the computer basically froze and would allow no user input. The first time it just locked up after 6+ hours and the progress bar just ceased to move and the time remaining indicator just stopped. The second time I manually darkened the monitor to black and after an over night session rendering I couldn't get it to come back on. But luckily the format I was rendering to MPEG 2 DVD saved the file up to the point where it stopped. It was within about 10-15 seconds of the place where it froze the night before.  Actually I don't know how long it had been frozen I hope to find that out tomorrow.

George

• 6. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                    @eatsomefood Level 1

I found a solution to export an hour long doc that worked with Premier CC,

File > Project Settings > General  > Renderer

The Renderer is set to default as: Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL)

Change this to: Mercury Playback Engine Software Only

After weeks of exports failing at 80% changing this setting worked and it spit my MPEG2 file out in no time.

Hope this helps

• 7. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                      GeorgeMonteiro Level 1

Hi, Thanks so much. I was able to get it to render out on my other computer that doesn't have mercury playback so that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks a lot.

George

• 8. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                        Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

The speed difference @ SD resolution is probably because of the 3K footage.

The RED decoder supports fractional decoding sizes, so if the output resolution isn't full res, we can ask the importer to hand us a scaled down image, which decodes faster than doing the full size raster.  The problem with the HD sizes though is that you're probably encoding to a 1.0 pixel aspect ratio, which would be 1920 by 1080, and that doesn't divide evenly into your RED source resolution of 2880 by 1620 (the fractional scaling works by factors of 2, so 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, ie what you see as options in the fractional resolution settings for playback...) , so the render pipeline has no choice but to decode to the full res image size and then scale down.

This is exactly why btw that RED created the 4K HD capture profile, which is actually a 1920 * 1080 resolution, doubled.  Works great for fast decoding in an HD sequence.

Wil

• 9. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                          GeorgeMonteiro Level 1

I suspected as much. The only reason I shot 3K on this job was because I needed longer record time and was worked I would run out if I shot at 4K. But it seems that my 4K to 1080P exports go much faster.

George

• 10. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                            EMUEDITORIAL Level 1

Same problem here. I am working in a feature film. All the footage is in 1080p. The sofware (Premiere and Encoder) have crashed like 25 times in the last 5 weeks. It is a nightmare.

Then the biggest problem is when non of them crash and the export finish: the movie comes with 3 scenes with errors in the playback (in the 3 cases are sound errors, repeated phrases that are not in the in the main sequence or in the original footage). I have done everything I know and beyond. (25 years doing this job, then don't lecture me about editing).

There is nothing wrong with the computer or the graphic card.

I am using a PC with Windows 8.

This never happened to me while working with Premiere 4 or 5.5. And of course never EVER happened with Final Cut.

Last week I was chatting with a representative and he told me the support was available only on weekdays.

I called on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and I was waiting on the phone for more than 20 minutes in every case, and the phone call was just cut while waiting.

Can someone from Adobe be nice enough and tell me what can I do in order to have some kind of serious feedback or support????

• 11. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                              Jacout13 Level 1

Hi,

I encountered the same trouble with PP CS6 and PP CC. The only way I found to solve the trouble is to disable the "Acceleration GPU Playback Mercury Engine (CUDA)". Then I reported the bug to the support :

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wisform I hope this report will be efficient.

I am also waiting the next MacPro with Final Cut Pro X and probably leave Adobe

• 12. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                                Jimmutz Level 1

Similar problem here - 10 minute film shot on DSLR. Other footage of all types on the timeline including hi-res GoPro timelapse and XD-Cam footage.

On a Macbook Pro Retina - 16gb RAM and , 2.7 intel processor and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB.

When doing anything to the GoPro timelapse footage and trying to export, the whole machine just shut down and restarted, seceral times.

After reading this thread I've put the machine on a cooling stand, set the Rendering to Software Only - and it worked like a dream.

• 13. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                                  Jacout13 Level 1

When render with CPU only, it might need a large lot of time.

I monitored the render with the freeware GPU-Z (display of "Sensors")

and discovered that the memory load of the GPU may be higher than 99%

for very short times (Nvidia GTX 570 with 1280 MB VRAM). The crash looks

like an overflooding of GPU memory. Your VRAM is 1024 MB, you might be

in the same case than mine.

But I guess also that the Mercury Playback Engine must be improved.

After reading a test of the new Mac Pro with Final Cut Pro X  and Adobe

Premiere Pro, it appeared also that the GPU render with PP is not very

efficient in comparison with FPC X on the same computer.

Regards

• 14. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                                    alainmaiki Level 1

Same problem here with the NEW MAC PRO. temporary solution is disabling GPU Open CL and leaving it at Software only mercury playback before export. it is absurd to do that but that's reality. Adobe has many export issues and they are not admitting it. They say it's all good and it is NOT GOOD...Not at all...

• 15. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                                      Jacout13 Level 1

Hi,

Since a long time I did not encounter the crash of Media encoder with

long file export.

But I take care of a lot of details before the export :

- clean up Media cache and Media Cache Files within PP CS6 and/or CC,

- delete all render files with Preview Files,

- rendering of sequences until the rendering is completed,

- PP CS6 and/or Pp CC opened during export to AME and/or Encore CS6,

I guessed to leave Adobe but this company remains the last with a

serious authoring software (Encore CS 6).

I tested :

- Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro X, both are very good software but

no really authoring software for these video editing softs.

Th only way is to "flood" Adobe with "bug reports" and "wish forms"

which are not very easy to use.

And also to call the Adobe support day by day until they send they

escalate the bug.

Le 16/05/2014 16:51, alainmaiki a écrit :

>

Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.

created by alainmaiki <https://forums.adobe.com/people/alainmaiki> in

/Premiere Pro/ - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6384665#6384665>

• 16. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                                        trigs3550149

Eats, when I changed to Software Only setting, then exported to Encoder, the Renderer selecton box at the bottom still says GPU Acceleration.  Should I change that to Software Only before I encode?

• 17. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                                          GeorgeMonteiro Level 1

Not sure if this applies to you but I was able to overcome the problem by turning off my browser. Every time I try to encode a file with my Safari browser on it crashes and gives me a "File Export Error. Unknown error" I didn't have to disable Cuda or anything.  This never happened on the previous version of CC.

• 18. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                                            trigs3550149 Level 1

George, are you saying stay off the internet?  Exporting takes 4-5 hours. 

• 19. Re: Premier Pro CC and Media Encoder crashing on long file export.
                                              GeorgeMonteiro Level 1

Update. I turned off my browser and receded a commercial that crashed on the previous attempt and it went through fine. However, on the next file it failed again even with the browser turned off. I did a second attempt and it went through fine. This is really getting annoying.