3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2013 11:55 AM by AMULI

loading images from a diferent server

Damovear

Hi to all... Is it possible?

I have my edge animate website, and its so fast.

If i put more images in the document, it will be so heavy and slow to load. I want to preload images from a diferent server ONLY AFTER my edge animate website is already loaded.

Somebody can help me, please?

• 1. Re: loading images from a diferent server
          jbowden Adobe Employee

It's possible to do this with Javascript, but it's not going to save your viewers any download time on your site (unless they have already downloaded the images from the other server and the browser still has them in cache) - in fact, it could make it download even slower.

You may want to look into optimizing your images to their smallest acceptable file size first, or even reducing the number of images.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: loading images from a diferent server
            Damovear Level 1

Hmmm.. lets see if u can note the real problem:

Im an animator (more animator than web developer) and im launching a website where im offering single clips for presentations, animations or even websites.

The -beta- site, is this: http://www.damovear.bugs3.com/animatitos/

Well, i want to put ALL OVER MI SINGLE ANIMATIONS in that background. ALL OF THEM. I have from bunnies to logos, from humans, to dragons. Maybe some birds flying around and... IDK, so many animations more.

If i put all my .GIF animations on the website... i assume you can imagine this never will be load.

MY SOLUTION was load the GIF, one to one AFTER the website is loaded. I dont know if you get me. My english is not perfect.

Maybe you have another solution? any idea?

Thanks a lot.

• 3. Re: loading images from a diferent server
              AMULI Level 4

Hi Joe,

It's possible to do this with Javascript, but it's not going to save your viewers any download time on your site

I'd like to refine this important point. I just had a similar experiment as Damovear : after adding two slideshows to different sections of a site, it must be noted that the preloader spins much longer than before.

My reasoning is the following. Please tell me if it is correct. Flash Player works on a streaming basis. So, if the slideshow is wrapped in a symbol instantiated in the sixth section of the site at frame 100 of the main timeline, its loading will not concern the preloader phase which loads only the necesseray data to start playing.

My understanding of how Edge Animate works – but may be I am wrong – is that there is no streaming. As a result, loading all the images contained in the slideshow now happens while the preloader GIFa spins.

So I agree with Damovear wanting to load all that heavy stuff only if needed (not every user will visit the section containing the slideshow) and later (via JavaScript). I think that this only-if-needed approach could make a difference to the perceived loading time.

And in the case when the user displays the slideshow, although the total download time will be the same, loading on demand has the advantage of slicing the overall download time and avoid the "download everything straightaway" task which can be burdensome.

As simple users, we miss the under-the-hood understanding that is yours. So your precisions will be precious. Thanks,

Gil

1 person found this helpful