4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 5:51 PM by PierreLouisBeranek

FR: Keep focus on Timeline when tilde (~) toggling back from full screen!

PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

When tilde toggling out of full screen Program monitor viewing, the focus is automatically shifted from the Timeline to the Program monitor, instead of staying put on the Timeline.  This is extremely annoying because hitting the zoom keys (=,-) now zooms the Program monitor playback bar instead of the Timeline!

Questions:

1. Are others finding this behavior in PP incredibly annoying?
      2. Does anyone actually want to ever zoom in/out of the playback bar in the Program monitor? (in my case I never want to do this, as in never ever, since it provides zero editing advantages)
      3. What's the best way to fix this problem in your opinion: A) keep focus on the Timeline when tilde toggling full screen playback, B) make zoom keyboard shortcuts that only work on the Timeline, regardless of which window is active, C) both?

Thanks for your input.  I'll submit an official FR and post it here shortly, but first I wanted to hear from other users.

Cheers

• 1. Re: FR: Keep focus on Timeline when tilde (~) toggling back from full screen!
          shooternz Level 6

FWIW

I have no need to use tilde key function on Program Monitors because my second monitor is dedicated as a full screen monitor (and I have an external broadcast monitor)

• 2. Re: FR: Keep focus on Timeline when tilde (~) toggling back from full screen!
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

When tilde toggling out of full screen Program monitor viewing, the focus is automatically shifted from the Timeline to the Program monitor, instead of staying put on the Timeline.  This is extremely annoying because hitting the zoom keys (=,-) now zooms the Program monitor playback bar instead of the Timeline!

Questions:

1. Are others finding this behavior in PP incredibly annoying?
            2. Does anyone actually want to ever zoom in/out of the playback bar in the Program monitor? (in my case I never want to do this, as in never ever, since it provides zero editing advantages)
            3. What's the best way to fix this problem in your opinion: A) keep focus on the Timeline when tilde toggling full screen playback, B) make zoom keyboard shortcuts that only work on the Timeline, regardless of which window is active, C) both?

Thanks for your input.  I'll submit an official FR and post it here shortly, but first I wanted to hear from other users.

Cheers

Hello Pierre,

I would just want the original panel remain selected as I toggle from full screen playback back to the standard UI. Thanks for filing your feature request.

Cheers,

Kevin

• 3. Re: FR: Keep focus on Timeline when tilde (~) toggling back from full screen!

I was leaning towards that as the better solution.  Thanks for the feedback Kevin.  I'll send an official FR and post it here.

• 4. Re: FR: Keep focus on Timeline when tilde (~) toggling back from full screen!

Here's my official FR (please feel free to use it as a template or to copy/paste it and send it as your own FR here: www.adobe.com/go/wish

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: Keep focus on Timeline when tilde toggling in/out of full screen Program Monitor view.

How would you like the feature to work?

I would like this feature to work the way it should: based on logic.  When tilde toggling out of full screen Program Monitor view, the focus should remain on the last active window, i.e. the Timeline, instead of automatically shifting to the Program Monitor.

Why is this feature important to you?  Having this work properly is important to me since it would remove one of PP's major annoyances.  Having the focus unexpectedly shift to the Program Monitor means that using the zoom in/out keyboard shortcuts suddenly zooms in/out of the Program Monitor rather than the Timeline as expected.  Furthermore, it burdens users with the additional step of re-selecting the Timeline before being able to use any Timeline specific keyboard shortcuts... every... single... time... 

The current behavior serves no logical purpose whatsoever, as far as I can tell, and only serves to annoy your users, so PLEASE fix this!  Thank you!

I have another problem with Full Screen playback:

When in Full Screen playback mode on a 2 monitor system, and jumping from one sequences to another, the Full screen Program Monitor fails to update with or play the content of the new sequence.  The only way I can seem to get the Program Monitor to update is to tilde toggle out of full screen mode first.  In regular, windowed playback, I never have this issue, only in Full screen mode.  Can other please confirm if they are also experiencing this issue?  Thanks!