9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 1:44 AM by DanJan

Datamerge into multiple frames?

DanJan

Hello! I'm doing my head in, and maybe it's not possible to do with datamerge, but here goes:

I have a document with several different frames, of different sizes. I want to populate these frames with images from a folder, and I have a CSV file set up for the purpose. So far, so good. When I tag all the frames to use the images I don't get them sequentially filling up the frames, and then making a new page, and filling up those frames and so forth. What I instead get is the same image filling up all the frames on page one, and the next page having the second image filling up all the frames, and so on. I could do it manually, but since I have hundreds upon hundreds of images it would be an exercise in patience to say the least.

Is there any way around this? Am I using datamerge incorrectly? It does not matter if I use "Single Record" or "Multiple Records" in the datamerge options, the only thing that changes is that the layout moves a little (due to the margins being reset by the "Multiple Records" option).

Thankful for any answer!

• 1. Re: Datamerge into multiple frames?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I understand what you are doing, datamerge won't do it.

with datamerge, you set up one instance on a page of how a full record will be laid out. If you do Multiple Records per page, Datamerge will simply fill each page with that layout, one new record for each whole set of your original.

So if you have two frames in your layout with the same field, they will both pull from the first record, and then both pull from the second, etc.

• 2. Re: Datamerge into multiple frames?
            Rik Ramsay Level 4

I have a document with several different frames, of different sizes. I want to populate these frames with images from a folder

If I am understanding you correctly, you seem to have more than one image frame but are using the same column in the CSV to populate. If your template has 3 image boxes and there is to be a different image in each one, you need 3 columns in your CSV sheet - image 1, image 2, image 3.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Datamerge into multiple frames?
              DanJan Level 1

Rik, thanks for your response! The thought hit me after I posted my message, and I tried it small scale. It does not work however.

Let's say I have three frames, image1, image2, image3, and set them up accordingly in the CSV and tagged the frames apropriately.

When using datamerge to populate them what happens is I get a bunch of pages with image1 filled, and not 2 and 3, followed by a bunch of pages with image2 filled, but not 1 and 3, and likewise for image3.

I could work with that, if there was only a "page merge" feature

But alas, it doesn't do the trick. It feels like I should be able to do it. Maybe I'll take another crack at it tomorrow with fresh eyes.

• 4. Re: Datamerge into multiple frames?
                Rik Ramsay Level 4

When using datamerge to populate them what happens is I get a bunch of pages with image1 filled, and not 2 and 3, followed by a bunch of pages with image2 filled, but not 1 and 3, and likewise for image3.

This doesn't sound correct. If you have 3 image boxes in InDesign and have 3 columns in your .CSV titled @Image1, @Image2 and @Image3, then match those columns to the correct box, you will get 3 different images on page 1 - unless the 3 columns in your .CSV have the same image URL on each row.

• 5. Re: Datamerge into multiple frames?
                  DanJan Level 1

Yeah, I cannot explain it either. The only correlation I managed to find was that depending on which row the image is in the CSV will affect the order in which the pages are created.

The top of my CSV file looks like this: Name,@images1,@images2,@images3

With the images in each corresponding column below.

I'll look at it again tomorrow, maybe there's a setting or something I missed in the datamerge options.

• 6. Re: Datamerge into multiple frames?
                    Rik Ramsay Level 4

Having done a quick test, you can see in my attached screenshot that it should work as I described above. It's possible that  you may have previewed it first before merging - there are other threads in this forum related to Data Merge issues that happen if they preview before merging the document.

EDIT:// As a side note, you should only have one page in your document with these fields - the merge will create the other pages.

InD_DM_Test_Combined.jpg

• 7. Re: Datamerge into multiple frames?
                      MW Design Level 4

Pay attention also to Rik's screen shot.

Edit...I didn't look close enough to Rik's screen shot...disregard the man behind the curtain.

Mike

Message was edited by: MW Design

• 8. Re: Datamerge into multiple frames?
                        DanJan Level 1

There we go, I think I know what went wrong. I'm unable to try it right now (on a computer without inDesign), but I believe because I put each image on its own row rather than having them on the same row as in your screenshot it cause inDesign to put only one image per page. That should be easily rectified once I get to work in the morning. Many thanks for saving me hours, if not days, of manual placing!

• 9. Re: Datamerge into multiple frames?
                          DanJan Level 1

Just to confirm what I said before, it did indeed now when trying it work as a charm. Thanks a lot!