7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 5:42 AM by Peter Spier

Removing guidlelines

barbann88

How do you remove the center line from showing in a 2 page spread when I export to pdf?

In the pdf it shows as a dotted line.

Barbara

• 1. Re: Removing guidlelines
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you want to you can export to PDF and select spreads which will

combine the two pages into one.

• 2. Re: Removing guidlelines
            barbann88 Level 1

Hi Bob,

I did that by selecting under properties 'Two-up and cover page. Is that

what you mean. The dotted line between the pages shows up, or is

there another way?

Barbara

• 3. Re: Removing guidlelines
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No. That's nothing but a view setting in Acrobat and there is no way to

remove it. If you want to be able to view spreads as single pages in

Acrobat you'll need to choose the spreads option when exporting.

Give it a try and see.

• 4. Re: Removing guidlelines
                barbann88 Level 1

OMG!! You are a genius. Thank you so much, all I had to do was to change

pages to spreads and it was perfect.

Thanks,

Barbara

Re: Removing guidlelines created by Bob Levine in InDesign - View the full discussion

• 5. Re: Removing guidlelines
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Spreads are not very user friendly, however, for the visually impaired (nor are multiple columns on a single page). Keep that in mind if you are designing for screen.

• 6. Re: Removing guidlelines
                    barbann88 Level 1

I am creating for a digital magazine, and they all only do a 2 page view which makes the text too small to read for the most part. When I import it for the digital it looks fine but I will also have a choice to be able to download the PDF which had the lines in it. I made it with just 1 column per page which comes out in the spread looking like 2 columns so it looks nice and so easy to read, I really like the digital so now readers will have the choice for digital or PDF and be able to read them easily.

Thanks very much for your help. Are you a designer?

Barbara

• 7. Re: Removing guidlelines
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you were asking if I'm a designer, rather than asking Bob, the answer is yes, among other things.

Two-column text, no matter how it is created, is NEVER user friendly on screen as it requires both up and down and left right scrolling to read when you zoom in to a comfortable size for many users with poor eyesight and small screens. If you want to see waht I mean, try reading  the instructions PDF for any tax form at the IRS site.