4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 8:43 PM by Rick Gerard

Changing a layer to a shadow

FabM

I´m editing a layer using Chroma Key and want to have this layer duplicated so that it can cast a shadow over the original one but i can´t seem to do it. It is already a 3D layer btw

I´m using CS3 which doesn´t have the option "Shadows only" like i did in university with CS5.

It should be simple but i cannot seem to find that option.

• 1. Re: Changing a layer to a shadow
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To make a shadow layer without  cast shadows only turned on you must use a WHITE solid set to receive the shadow with accepts lights off. Here's an example. It's nothing more than what I described with a Grid and Motion Tile temporarily applied to the layer to help position the layer to match the perspective of the floor. The red ball is nothing but a solid layer with a mask and gradient to simulate the look of a sphere positioned to intersect just touch the floor and a point light is positioned approximately where the light in the room would be.

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 6.21.12 AM.png

• 2. Re: Changing a layer to a shadow
            FabM Level 1

Rick Gerard thank you for your answer

I already have the layer duplicated. I want it to turn to a shadow but it seems it was very easy when i did with CS6

Here´s a screen shot of my project:

CS3.jpg

So i have to insert a point light somewhere in the top left corner to change the second layer to a shadow?

• 3. Re: Changing a layer to a shadow
              FabM Level 1

Yep, that worked out altough it was alot easier doing a shadow in a more advanced version of After Effects.

Thanks again for the help.

• 4. Re: Changing a layer to a shadow
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

. . . altough it was alot easier doing a shadow in a more advanced version of After Effects.

CS3 isn't that far back. If it were my project I'd use your masked actor (the image of the guy lying down on the right) as a track matte for a white solid. You'll get a more controllable shadow that way with uniform density.

The key to doing these kinds of effects has always been using the Multiply blend mode. Even when you can set a layer to shadow only, Multiply should be used to make the shadow work in the scene.