6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 7:18 AM by peter minneapolis

Numered lists

SolasProductions

Numbered lists are driving me crazy. I tried to adjust the spacing between each list item and its very hard it seems. If you make a paragraph style, it seems like it either wants them all to be tied to one master list, where if you have one say on the first page with list items 1,2,3 even if you make a list ten pages later it would start with 4,5,6.

If I edit the Mode: "start at" field to 1, all the list items go 1,1,1 and don't incriment.

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 9.12.10 AM.png

Is there a way around this without having to define a new style / list for each list I want to make? I am making a cookbook so this would be some 100 or so lists, seems a little crazy to make one for each I think.

I just figured out a way around this. I made a list item paragraph style with the spacing I wanted. If I apply that before I hit numbered list, it keeps the spacing I want. Kind of a hack, but it works.

Is there any way to better handle numbered lists?

• 1. Re: Numered lists
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

where if you have one say on the first page with list items 1,2,3 even if you make a list ten pages later it would start with 4,5,6.

Put the text cursor on the list line (for example number 4), and mouse right click and select>Restart Numbering

• 2. Re: Numered lists
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can also use two paragraph styles tied to the same defined list, the first style starts at 1 and is set to restart, and uses the second style as Next Style which is set to continue.

• 3. Re: Numered lists
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the paragraph before the numbered list

Make this a Numbered Paragraph too

Don't fill in any details (leave number and other things completely blank)

Start at 0

Then all your lists directly after that will start at 1.

• 4. Re: Numered lists
                Doc Maik Level 4

SolasProductions wrote:

Numbered lists are driving me crazy. I tried to adjust the spacing between each list item and its very hard it seems. If you make a paragraph style, it seems like it either wants them all to be tied to one master list, where if you have one say on the first page with list items 1,2,3 even if you make a list ten pages later it would start with 4,5,6.

In addition to Salah's suggestion:

a) if you want to have different numbering, like one for chapters and one for figure captions, make a different "List" (below "List type") for all of them. So the number sequences won't interfere.

• 5. Re: Numered lists
                  SolasProductions Level 1

Thanks, I would have never found this on my own. With this, it seems to be working how I want it to now, I just tried it out using a single p. style. Yes... this was really slowing me down!

• 6. Re: Numered lists
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

SolasProductions wrote:

If I edit the Mode: "start at" field to 1, all the list items go 1,1,1 and don't incriment.

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 9.12.10 AM.png

Is there a way around this without having to define a new style / list for each list I want to make? I am making a cookbook so this would be some 100 or so lists, seems a little crazy to make one for each I think.

I just figured out a way around this. I made a list item paragraph style with the spacing I wanted. If I apply that before I hit numbered list, it keeps the spacing I want. Kind of a hack, but it works.

Is there any way to better handle numbered lists?

Yes, there are good ways to handle numbered lists.

You'll find suggestions here on the forum from folks who can help you solve a particular problem. If you're under deadline, or don't have a need beyond the specific problem and its fix, fine.

But the best way to handle numbered lists is to learn a lot about them. Search Google for terms like "InDesign multi-level numbered lists tutorial," without quotes. You'll get a lot of links with good basic information. Also, probably some things that are irrelevant to your way of learning, or may even be wrong, so you'll need to sort through the results.

InDesign can do almost any kind of list numbering with any kind of distance between numbered items and any kind of intervening content between numbered items. You just need to understand the underlying principles. If you've used numbered lists successfully in other applications, you may or may not be able to work with InDesign's lists in a similar way to get the results you want. But, some applications' methods won't apply to ID.

If you place numbered-list content from other applications into ID, the numbering may or may not survive, depending on the application, and also on how that numbering was set up.

If the content of your lists will be revised often - pieces added, moved, or deleted - any manual "fix" you do to a content item may need to be redone, and may require manual attention to auto-numbered items. This is why it's best to know the principles, set up the lists by using that knowledge, and not risk disruptions from unintended behaviors.

[EDIT] It's not always necessary to use different numbered lists for chapter, section, and other similar numbering purposes. A single list can manage multiple levels, if you know how. That's why I suggested including "multi-level" in your search. [/EDIT]

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro