1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 5:24 AM by rob day

Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

Kristofer Malvia

I'll start with mentioning that we use InDesign CS5.5...

Using a spot colour background and a layer with transparency will cause the colour in the transparent area to change as long as it's PNG, EPS, PSD, PDF or INDD.

We've had this problem for quite some time now and we have yet to find a solution for it.

A way around so far has been to use a PSD or PDF background with a similar colour, but if the costumer wants one specific spot (and is very picky about it), then we need to give it. Creating an object with the colour in the document itself does not help.

The settings we use are that we leave colour conversion unchanged and lets the printer handle the profiles and makes sure that the printer actually reads the Spot as a Spot and nothing else. Wither or not we preserve CMYK numbers does not make a difference.

Converting to PDF before printing does not always work (does sometimes if converting to v1.3), though printing directly from InDesign is what we usually do since converting an average of 60 documents per hour to PDF takes too much time. Our workflow is pretty much Edit->Print, Edit->Print, Edit->Print since it's the same documents with small significant changes.

We've double checked that the printer actually converts to the spot colour we want, and it does, but only in the areas where there is no transparency (goes for both PS and PDF). We use a Konica Minolta production printer and have tried on two other, another KM and a Xerox, the latter with a different RIP and operating system and both with regular CMYK and VividCMYK, with the same results, if only a very slight difference in colour, but still a major difference between the spot compared to the area with transparency. With this in mind we believe that the issue is not connected to the printer itself.

Being a bit tired of this reoccurring problem we ask: Is there a way to have a spot colour background AND using transparency?

Best regards

Malvia Design Team

• 1. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you printing to a device that's capable of spot color, or is there a CMYK conversion happening? Do you have the Simulate Overprint box checked in the Print Dialog?

• 2. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
            Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Shouldn't you be using the process equivalent of any spot color? I ask that because you are printing to a digital printing device, so it has to convert the spot colors on the fly anyway.

Is the InDesign document and ALL placed artwork using the same color model, whether CMYK or RGB?

• 3. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
              Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Also, could this be Yucky Discolored Syndrome, discussed much in this forum?

• 4. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A way around so far has been to use a PSD or PDF background with a similar colour, but if the costumer wants one specific spot (and is very picky about it)

Is the PSD background really a spot (it would have to be a Duotone, or spot channel)? If you are placing a CMYK or RGB background you've effectively replaced the ID spot color with process color, so it sounds like the problem is using a spot color for a process color job.

• 5. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

We've double checked that the printer actually converts to the spot colour we want, and it does, but only in the areas where there is no transparency (goes for both PS and PDF)

It sounds like the printer uses a lookup table for matching the spot color—rather than a color managed conversion from the spot color defintion (Lab in CS6 or CMYK) to the printer profile. When you add transparency the transparent objects have to get flattened to either RGB or CMYK, so I wonder if the lookup no longer works in that case? Does using an RGB blend space have an effect?

• 6. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                    Kristofer Malvia Level 1

The printer uses VividCMYK and tries to match the spot colour. We use a PANTONE chart often to compare and it's usually a very minor difference (we often print the colour directly from the printer before sending the job to compare).

When sending from InDesign there is no option to Simulate Overprint (it's greyed out) if using Composite Leave Unchanged. Also, the printer handle the colour conversion, using the same profile as when test printing the spot colours directly from the RIP.

Printing spot colours is never a problem unless using transparency on top of it.

• 7. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                      Kristofer Malvia Level 1

The printer uses its own profile to manage the colours. The colours are the same with minor differences.

Copy of what I wrote to Peter:

The printer uses VividCMYK and tries to match the spot colour. We use a PANTONE chart often to compare and it's usually a very minor difference (we often print the colour directly from the printer before sending the job to compare).

[...] the printer handle the colour conversion, using the same profile as when test printing the spot colours directly from the RIP.

Printing spot colours is never a problem unless using transparency on top of it.

The artwork used (which in this case is logotypes and other texts) is always CMYK. If RBG, we usually print images, like photos, and so far we have never encountered a situation where we use a spot colour as background. As mentioned: this is reoccurring, but usually we manage with other solutions where the costumer is fine with a similar outcome. In this case, that is not an option.

I did check the Yucky Discolored Syndrome, but (if I didn't misunderstand it) I cannot send data where I leave the colours unconverted until the printer converts it if using that method (it promted me to use the Composite CMYK function, which I wish not to use since it literaly makes everything slightly yellow). If I am mistaken I will take another look at it. I have changed the Transparency Flattener to other resolutions and checked the box to ignore spread overrides but it makes no difference.

• 8. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

Try using composite CMYK and let ID manage the colors....

• 9. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                          Kristofer Malvia Level 1

Rob Day wrote:

A way around so far has been to use a PSD or PDF background with a similar colour, but if the costumer wants one specific spot (and is very picky about it)

Is the PSD background really a spot (it would have to be a Duotone, or spot channel)? If you are placing a CMYK or RGB background you've effectively replaced the ID spot color with process color, so it sounds like the problem is using a spot color for a process color job.

If using a PSD or PDF it doesn't really matter which colour it is as long as it's satisfactory. If not using spot colour the problem does not occur, but having to simulate the colour over and over in a PDF or PSD for each order is not realistic since it's very time consuming. Just finding that specific colour from the beginning takes time enough.

It sounds like the printer uses a lookup table for matching the spot color—rather than a color managed conversion from the spot color defintion (Lab in CS6 or CMYK) to the printer profile. When you add transparency the transparent objects have to get flattened to either RGB or CMYK, so I wonder if the lookup no longer works in that case? Does using an RGB blend space have an effect?

I am honestly not sure what you're asking for, but if converting to RGB is what you mean then the transparency issue is not present, though neither is the colour I'm looking for. If I tell the printer not to read the spot as spot but as RGB or CMYK it does not give me the right colour (and neither can I manipulate the spot blend before printing).

• 10. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                            Kristofer Malvia Level 1

If I do that everything has a slight yellow to it, as well as the spot compared to both the printer and the chart...

• 11. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

You might need to turn off redundant color management at the RIP.

• 12. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

I am honestly not sure what you're asking for

Edit>Transparency Blend Space> determines what space flattened objects are transformed into

but having to simulate the colour over and over in a PDF or PSD for each order is not realistic since it's very time consuming

The reason it's working is because the PSD is a process not a spot color (unless you use a spot color mode like Duotone).

So what happens if you set your Transparency Blend Space to RGB, select the Indesign spot background and convert it to process?

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 12.49.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 12.49.23 PM.png

• 13. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                  Kristofer Malvia Level 1

I do not know how to do that in our current RIP, or I might be limited in language regarding what you mean; can you rephrase what it is you wish me to do?

• 14. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

Can you set the RIP to pass the colors unchanged instead of doing a second round of color conversion? That's probably the source of the yellow cast when you let ID do the color management.

• 15. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                      Was DYP Level 3

I have changed the Transparency Flattener to other resolutions and checked the box to ignore spread overrides but it makes no difference.

You cannot send a flattened PDF to the RIP. Flattening the transpareny turns any transparent area to process color. Let the RIP do this.

What RIP and version number are your using?

Does it have the Adobe PDF Printing Engine and what version?

Are you choosing the same input profile in the RIP as you're assigned to the PDF. And no, using the print command and sending postscript to the RIP will never work for this.

What Rendering Intent are you choosing in the RIP?

You should be able to get this to print correctly but the RIP is going to have to have APPE 2.5 or later and you are going to have to make the correct settings in the RIP.

• 16. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

You cannot send a flattened PDF to the RIP. Flattening the transpareny turns any transparent area to process color. Let the RIP do this.

though printing directly from InDesign is what we usually do since converting an average of 60 documents per hour to PDF takes too much time.

Kristofer is printing from InDesign.

• 17. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

Do you have the same problem with a custom, not from a library, spot color?

If you make a new swatch with the Color Type as Spot and the Color Mode as Lab (not Pantone) does the color print differently if transparency is applied? Something like 100% with no transparency on a page vs. 100% but set to multiply on another page.

• 18. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                            Was DYP Level 3

Kristofer is printing from InDesign.

And sending a flattened postscript file with the ID print command to the RIP will certainly not work ether. You can not envoke  APPE that way.

Sending a layered PDF to a RIP with APPE enabled is the only hope of printing this correctly.

The only other hope to closely match the Spot color is to use a RGB equivalent and keep an total RGB workflow, and set the RIPS CM to convert directly from the RGB input to the printer output. Unlike an inkjet printer you'll never match a lot of spot colors with a CMYK toner based printer as the gamut is not much more than process color on a offset press. And for sure do not add any other conversion than RGB input to printer output.

• 19. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

The only other hope to closely match the Spot color is to use a RGB equivalent and keep an total RGB workflow

Solid Inks should be defined as Lab—CS6 enforces Lab definitions for all the Pantone solid ink spot libraries. If you used an RGB definition the color would change depending on the document RGB profile—that won't happen with Lab.

• 20. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                Was DYP Level 3

I understand that but the problem comes when you ouput LAB to the RIP. Question is does the RIP understand LAB transparency. But it is worth to try to test and see if it would work.

Solid Inks should be defined as Lab—CS6 enforces Lab definitions for all the Pantone solid ink spot libraries. If you used an RGB definition the color would change depending on the document RGB profile—that won't happen with Lab.

But RIPs have spot color libraries that depend on the naming of that spot color. What does a particular RIP do with LAB input values is the question then?

• 21. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

I don't see any problem with Lab conversions at export or output, if I export Lab to CMYK or RGB I get the same values I would get making the conversion in Photoshop to the same profiles. ID only has RGB or CMYK blend spaces, so Lab transparency would be converted into one or the other. An RGB transparency blend space probably includes most of the Pantone library, but there is an RGB gamut so a color that's close to cyan (313?) probably isn't in any RGB space.

But RIPs have spot color libraries that depend on the naming of that spot color.

Right  could be the problem, that's why I suggested the test in #17 to see if it's the case. I'm wondering if transparency breaks the link to a Pantone lookup? If there's a Pantone lookup table how would the table handle the combination of Pantone Orange plus 50|20|100|15 CMYK, which could happen when transparency is applied?

In the end using a solid ink library to select color for a process job is not a great idea.

• 22. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                    Was DYP Level 3

Right  could be the problem, that's why I suggested the test in #17 to see if it's the case. I'm wondering if transparency breaks the link to a Pantone lookup? If there's a Pantone lookup table how would the table handle the combination of Pantone Orange plus 50|20|100|15 CMYK, which could happen when transparency is applied?

In the end using a solid ink library to select color for a process job is not a great idea.

It all depends on the capablities of the RIP.

But your example of using Pantone Orange plus as 50|20|100|15 CMYK is a really good example of what not to do. I have one inkjet here that I can match Pantone Orange and another that can come almost as close, which depends on how large its gamut is. The CMYK toner digital press can't really come close but is a little closer than Color Bridges process swath. There is no way I would want to introduce CMYK as an attempt to produce this color. RGB yes but it would take some testing/experimenting to get correct and then only if I had no other choice.

But to the OP, you really need to work backwards. What color is your output device able to reproduce, then what are capabilities of your RIP, then set your file up accordingly. If you RIP is APPE 2.5 and above capable then you should be able to acheive this with spot color and transpanency but you have to send it the correct PDF file. But anytime you use a transpareny with a spot color it will be guesswork, as there is no resource to see what you get unless you create your own output test.

• 23. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

The CMYK toner digital press can't really come close but is a little closer than Color Bridges process swath.

The Color Bridge libraries are not spot colors they are CMYK process colors. Referencing a process color chart for a process job is less problematic if the chart is printed from the destination press.

Refencing Pantone's solid ink swatches for process is a problem because the swatches aren't printed with CMYK. CS6 has finally enforced Lab definitions for solid colors and conversion from Lab directly to the printer profile will make the best conversion assuming the profile is accurate, but you can't get around the fact that the referenced solid color is not process.

• 24. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                        Was DYP Level 3

I was talking about the Color Bridge book that shows both Spot and Process swatches.

Refencing Pantone's solid ink swatches for process is a problem because the swatches aren't printed with CMYK.

Not all CMYK is equal.

but you can't get around the fact that the referenced solid color is not process.

Neither is Inkjet output or digtal toner based output equal to offset process. You have to determind how close your output device can match the spot ink color. Heck we even profile an offset press to get the largest color gamut for a calendar we produce.

• 25. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

Not all CMYK is equal.

Right  if you are trying to avoid the color management system by referencing printed swatches, the swatches should be defined as process and printed from the destination device. That's why ID CS6 has abandoned CMYK defintitions for solid ink simulations—with Lab the conversion to CMYK adjusts for different CMYK destination profiles.

The Lab to CMYK conversion is better, but doesn't get around solid ink gamut problems. If your printed starting point is a process chart (Pantone + Color Bridge) printed from the destination device, the gamut issues go away. In that case you'll no longer be referencing Pantone Orange solid ink which is out-of-gamut, but you will be choosing the 0|65|100|0 CMYK Bridge simulation from the chart, which is printable.

• 26. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                            Was DYP Level 3

Your points are all valid but you confusing yourself and the issue. This is not about converting from Spot (lab definition if you wish) to process what ever that may be. It is about reproducing a Spot Ink color on a specific output device. Converting to process (any process except maybe 4 color process on offset to avoid extra plates) would be my last choice and done only in desperation which is what the OP was talking about. 

To avoid anymore confusion this is how I handle Spot Color on our digital devices. Send the Named Spot Color to the RIP and let RIP determined the ink mixed needed for the output device. If the RIPS spot color library needs adjusted then do it by reading the spot ink swatch with a spectro into the RIP or if necessary adjust in manually.

The transparency problem of the OP is what we need to focus on here and not go on and on about converting spot to process which you and I can can find all kinds of way to do which the only correct one being what you or I or the client wants as the intended output.

• 27. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

go on and on about converting spot to process

But Kristofer is saying he gets better results when he replaces the spot color with a PSD when there's transparency, which is just a round about way of converting the spot to process. From #1:

A way around so far has been to use a PSD or PDF background with a similar colour,

It does sound like his RIP has a named spot color lookup and it's not working as expected with transparency. I'm not offering a solution, just the test (#17) to see if a spot color outside of the Pantone library acts the same way.

• 28. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                Was DYP Level 3

We use a Konica Minolta production printer and have tried on two other, another KM and a Xerox, the latter with a different RIP and operating system and both with regular CMYK and VividCMYK, with the same results, if only a very slight difference in colour, but still a major difference between the spot compared to the area with transparency. With this in mind we believe that the issue is not connected to the printer itself.

Being a bit tired of this reoccurring problem we ask: Is there a way to have a spot colour background AND using transparency?

Rob has outlined ways to get the best possible gamut out of spot to process, and I have outlined how to best acheive spot to RIP with transparency.

Other than that we need more info about your RIP.

• 29. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

I'll start with mentioning that we use InDesign CS5.5...

Also 5.5 was the last version that didn't enforce Lab Pantones. Do you have Use Standard Lab Values in Ink Manager checked?

• 30. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                    Was DYP Level 3

I don't convert spot color to process. Not sure where you got that idea?

• 31. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                      Kristofer Malvia Level 1

I can do that, but since the printer uses VividCMYK, I think you can guess what the results are... Since C and M is slightly more yellow to begin with (rather turquoise and pink than cyan and magenta) the print I made had... "Interesting" results... Since the printer has its own ways when it converts and calibrates, the best way to get a good result is to let it handle the conversion on its own.

The transparency issue was still present though...

• 32. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                        Kristofer Malvia Level 1

Important issue as it might be, I can't comment on everything you guys wrote, so I hope you can both read this reply...

I have no problem, what so ever, to print spot colours EXCEPT when using transparency.

Not at all.

I've even made some tests, just the other week, with the technicians educating how to use the spot colours and to make them work when printing from InDesign. We tried "complicated" colours, like Orange 021 C, Rhodamine Red C and a blue one, which name I don't remember, and the results were as perfect as I could've hoped for when I compare to the chart. Experimenting with other spots, and even manipulating them and trying custom ones, we still did not encounter a single spot which we could not get a satisfactory result with...

However, to get these results we could not let ID handle any colour conversion. All conversion was done by the RIP.

The RIP is an extern Fiery v3.0a with a patch for use with a KM Bizhub C65hc with VividCMYK.

I also have to mention, because it seems like it has not gone through yet: If I use a SIMILAR colour as a mounted PSD or PDF, I do NOT use spot colours... Why would I? If I want a spot, I use a spot. And no, I have not ever managed to use spot colours with PSD documents because I'm stupid and I don't know how to do that, though I do wish I did.

The issue I have ONLY applies to using transparency with a spot colour as a background. Made in ID or a mounted PDF or EPS does not matter, I still get the same results (which is very similar to the Yucky Discoloured Syndrome, but as I cannot do as the guide tells me I do not know how to be certain that is the problem or not).

• 33. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                          Was DYP Level 3

The RIP is an extern Fiery v3.0a with a patch for use with a KM Bizhub C65hc with VividCMYK.

I assume you have tried selecting Composite Overprint? But that old of a Fiery is not going to work. For what you want to do you would need an unflattened PDF and a Fiery with APPE 2.5 or above. I use Fiery System 10 here.

You will have to find a process workaround.

• 34. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print

If I use a SIMILAR colour as a mounted PSD or PDF, I do NOT use spot colours... Why would I? If I want a spot, I use a spot.

When you replace the InDesign spot color with a PSD you've obviously removed the spot color and now have a transparent process color—that's a big difference. There's no need to use your PSD work around you can make any process color in ID—just don't give it the Pantone name.

Clearly your RIP has a lookup table for named Pantone colors, which doesn't work with transparency. It sounds like when the named spot color is transparent the lookup is not being used and there's a normal color managed conversion from the ID color definition to the printer profile. If that's the case Ink Manger's US Standard Lab Values would have an effect on output.

• 35. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                              Kristofer Malvia Level 1

I assume you have tried selecting Composite Overprint?

If you mean Simulate Overprint, then I can't since I cannot check that box if I choose Composite Leave Unchanged (which also makes it not possible to change spot to process in Ink Manager?... That might only be temporary... Computers are computers and I just LOVE how these programs are inconsequential... A well ironed sentence...)

But that old of a Fiery is not going to work. For what you want to do you would need an unflattened PDF and a Fiery with APPE 2.5 or above. I use Fiery System 10 here.

Fun fact is that we can use APPE 2.5 if we want (according to Fiery, it might be possible to use even later versions), but as I have stated earlier, converting to PDF instead of printing from ID is not an option since there is way too many documents at work as for it not to slow us down tremendously compared to now. Also, this production printer is hand picked for several reasons and I cannot upgrade the RIP for it even if I wished to.

What I ask for is to know wither I can print a spot colour with a transparency upon it DIRECTLY FROM ID without getting this issue or not. And if not, then please tell me why in detail.

This is not a big of a costumer so if it doesn't work it's no big loss, but we will most likely encounter this kind later on, so I need to know nevertheless.

• 36. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                                Kristofer Malvia Level 1

When you replace the InDesign spot color with a PSD you've obviously removed the spot color and now have a transparent process color—that's a big difference. There's no need to use your PSD work around you can make any process color in ID—just don't give it the Pantone name.

Of course it's a difference, which is why we do it, since it works. Though, making a new colour, name it or not, still gives the transparency issue. That is why we used just plain mounted backgrounds in forms of PSD or PDF, because it was the easiest solution.

Clearly your RIP has a lookup table for named Pantone colors, which doesn't work with transparency. It sounds like when the named spot color is transparent the lookup is not being used and there's a normal color managed conversion from the ID color definition to the printer profile. If that's the case Ink Manger's US Standard Lab Values would have an effect on output.

I forgot to reply that it does indeed has a lookup table, and in one of these two backgrounds (it's two with the same outcome) I have added a new spot for it to read, or rather manipulated one and gave it a new name. No matter what, anything with transparancy gives me another colour. Still, around the transparency it looks just perfect.

Now, you say that it does not work. Does this mean I cannot use the table at all? Then I cannot use a spot manipulated in the RIP? Why is this?

• 37. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                                  Was DYP Level 3

What I ask for is to know wither I can print a spot colour with a transparency upon it DIRECTLY FROM ID without getting this issue or not. And if not, then please tell me why in detail.

This is not a big of a costumer so if it doesn't work it's no big loss, but we will most likely encounter this kind later on, so I need to know nevertheless.

Since printing from ID creates a postscript file and that in not compatable with transparency the answer is no. Any transparency in ID will be flattened when printed and will be a composite process color.

• 38. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                                    Was DYP Level 3

Very likly it would work but only from a layered/non-flattened PDF file.

• 39. Re: Spot colour background does not work with transparency at print
                                                                                      Kristofer Malvia Level 1

Again; why is this? Logic might not apply to printing in general, but why can it not ignore transparency and print the spot as it is? For some reason, it feels like there should be an option to make this work without converting to a PDF...

1 2 Previous Next