2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 12:23 AM by CatJonne

Process for replacing images

CatJonne

I would like to get our opinion on how I am working when replacing images.

The help-project has not been updated since it first was generated but much has been done to the system. So there are a lot of images to replace but I have very limited time and the customer want as much as possible to be done. This means that I have to do some things in a way that might not be the best way but is the fastest. But I don’t want to work in a way that we later regret because it causes some problem that I haven’t realized yet. I don’t have much knowledge of the updates of the system or of the RoboHelp-project (what is described in the help, where in the help is it described).

1. I capture the image with IrfanWiew.
      2. I delete the old image in the Design Editor. (I’m aware that the image is not removed from the project but I will deal with this later.)
      3. I paste the image in the Design Editor. (I find this the fastest way to get the new pictures where they should go.)
      4. When I have finished replacing images I create a folder and drag the images there (either in RoboHelp or in Windows Explorer).  The old images are in a separate folder but I don’t want the new images in the same folder because it might be some name conflicts.
      5. I remove unused images by looking at the report Unused Files.

Is this an ok way to work?

• 1. Re: Process for replacing images
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

If you are replacing one image with another, you could could save them with the same file name and in the same location. Your project should then pick it up. However there is a proviso that the old and new images are exactly the same size. If they are not, you may have to reset the image size inside the Design Editor for each image.

If you use your workflow, I would not paste the image in. Whilst this is acceptable, you'll end up with image file names that bear no resemblance to the image (e.g. image001.png, image002.png, etc.) which may create future difficulties. Also ensure you drag your images from INSIDE your project. If you do this in Windows, your project will be unaware you have moved them and report them as broken links.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Process for replacing images
            CatJonne Level 1

Thanks for your good advice! I feel much more at ease knowing that someone with experience had a look at the workflow.